• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

So for the last 2 years I have said we will not get out of this league with Corr up front, only now am I not being shot down by the blind disciples of Corr, he is not decent and will never get the 20 odd goals again, his role in the team is only to foul the opposition. We need a striker, Barney does not do half the work he did when he was with us before, almost as if he learnt to play Prem football without actually playing it. Weston quick or not, as proven against Wimbledon, does not have a strikers instinct so please give up on him being the goal scoring saviour but he will be a good winger.
Many will say every team is looking for a goal scorer, I am not looking for an Eastwood, I am looking for better than Corr and Barnard, is it too much to ask.

Let's see where we are at 15 games and revisit. I personally don't think we are good enough and we won't go up looking at the first few games. People say it's only 5 games but how long do you give before conceding we aren't good enough. 10, 15, 20 or when it's too late and we are stuck in this division for yet another season

You may be correct.
Silver lining ?
Col Ewe may join us.
Long west to go for both though !

Oxford can't buy a win...so that's 3 points for them next Saturday. Brown will make one change and probably play Bolger as his suspension will be done in the JPT. We are just continuing the cycle week in, week out.

I may be wrong here but aren't Wimbledon below us in the league ?
If I'm wrong ( can't be bothered to double check ) I apologise.
If I'm right , what's your point ?

Wimbledon are one place above us.

I thought my point (and reply to ShrimperJon) was pretty obvious. SJ is right, there are good strikers around. Matt Tubbs is better than anything we have up front, and that's the type of player we should be trying to aquire, especially when the competition is AFC Wimbledon, a club we are, supposedly, "bigger" than.

Todays result had nothing to do with strikers we had ten men for 70 minutes and did not create any chances to score. Would have been a very different story had bolger not been a liability today. Of course we want a goal machine so does every team in the world.

Apparently the stats have us at 14 shots at goal BUT as usual only 2 near the wooden things with netting

I thought my point (and reply to ShrimperJon) was pretty obvious. SJ is right, there are good strikers around. Matt Tubbs is better than anything we have up front, and that's the type of player we should be trying to aquire, especially when the competition is AFC Wimbledon, a club we are, supposedly, "bigger" than.

Tubbs at Wimbledon and Paul Hayes at Wycombe either of those would have been happy days!

Apparently the stats have us at 14 shots at goal BUT as usual only 2 near the wooden things with netting

In 23 of the last 29 games we have scored THIRTEEN goals yet Phil just carries on with the same players and tactics ! Crikey that is nearly 1 goal every other game .

We need to remember last season, we won the first 3, then lost the next 4 (I think). We still went on to have a decent season. I think the players just need to find form, especially the strikers.

Yesterday should not even come into the equation as playing with ten men for most of the game is never going to help the strikers.

I am still not sold on the system that Sturrock brought to this squad, yes the defence and midfield are comfortable with it, it just doesn't seem like it is right for the attackers. On paper it really seems right, 2 forwards giving width for the central target man.

I feel that in this system, there are too many players who are having to do more than one job, the wider 2 of the front 3 have to go wide and also get back to defend when we are off the ball...The wider two of the central 3 have to also provide width when needed (Hurst for example).
442, everyone has one job.

The comments concerning Tubbs, I don't think he would have any goals in this system as I don't think he would fit in. 442 up front with Corr, different story.

I think, by the end of September, we may have a reasonable idea of our fate this season. Still not totally confident about our central defence, though we'll have to see how this pans out over the next half-dozen games. I believe that the only reason we made the play-offs last term was the arrival of Egan and Sokolik. We may have only scored ten goals in the last ten league games of last season, when that combination were in place, but we only conceded THREE! This season the goals 'for' haven't improved but we've already let in 4 from five league games. Statistics can prove everything and nothing..........especially at this early stage of the campaign........but those that believed we were going to blow everything away in this League, may have to temper their ideas!
When I was looking at the players for possible changes against AFCW it suddenly came to my attention, that we don't have that large a squad.

Wasn't it at the end of August that Gillingham stopped paying Craig Fagans wages. Wouldn't be at all surprised if we signed him this week. looked good in pre season and could well help with the goal count.

Aren't opinions allowed then ? Anyway I think you'll find the Cambridge Carlisle score is a fact too.

I highlighted only a part of mrsblue's post and that is what my response referred to. Opinions are what this site worthwhile, but it doesn't mean I've always got to agree with them though!!!

When we are starting the obvious I think playing with 10 men for most of the game is the biggest factor isnt it?!?

Funny how a defender completely lets us down and people still focus on strikers.

Yes it was going to be difficult playing with ten men but that does not excuse the amount of play we had, chances made and failure to convert. Had we the whole behind the ball for the remainder of the game, under incessant pressure, I could understand it, but when we played as much as we did, particularly in the first half, then the inability to finish was yet again been highlighted.

Yes it was going to be difficult playing with ten men but that does not excuse the amount of play we had, chances made and failure to convert. Had we the whole behind the ball for the remainder of the game, under incessant pressure, I could understand it, but when we played as much as we did, particularly in the first half, then the inability to finish was yet again been highlighted.

Remember Morecambe last season at the Hall who were leading 2 1 then had a man sent off then increased their lead and won 3 1!

We had the extra man for ages and still not score.

Remember Morecambe last season at the Hall who were leading 2 1 then had a man sent off then increased their lead and won 3 1!

Threlfall was sent off in the 69th minute when Morecombe were already leading and could just sit back and hit us on the break. More than slightly different to being down to 10 men from the 15th minute at 0-0.

I apologise as I was one place out.
i actually agree with you that a good goal scorer would really help us , but the point I was trying to make was that despite Wimbledon having Tubbs , they are are on the same points as us after 5 games , so it doesn't necessarily follow thAt he will make a team successful.
im also concerned about our lack of goals but think 5 games is far too eRly to judge anything.

Rather than just moaning about it I would hope the team, manager on down, will all be trying their hardest to get some of the chances turned into goals.
When Tilly and Brush's team had a similar problem they brought in an attack coach (was it Crownie?) and worked on set pieces and also shooting practice for all the outfield players, including pre game drills and half-time drills.
The obvious suggestion is that a similar plan may/ought to be taking place or being formulated to get us back on track.
IMO the squad is good enough for automatic promotion and some tinkering is needed: NOT wholesale, knee jerk, panic.

That's where we're going wrong then - starting with 11 !

Back