• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Did you know that when Ian Rush first played for Liverpool he started to get boo's from the crowd. The Liverpool crowd were used to great strikers. They said he couldn't hit a barn door. He then went on to be one of the greatest strikers of all time. He put that down to an ex striker training and correcting him.
Hopefully Teddy Sheringham will do that to Carlton Cole then :winking:
(Now where's that flying pig smiley)

I suppose there's no given rule when you take Ian Rush...

In fairness when I am at training I score most times when shooting mainly because I have zero pressure however in matches my shooting becomes a worry for those in the bar.

Pressure is such a pig.

We agree on something. Close the internet.:smile:

Obviously these guys have had bucket loads of coaching invested in them.
Like everyone though it needs to continue.
Personally, I played Australian Rules my whole life, bit didn't play my best footy until I was 27, when everything just fell into place.
I had the right mix of good coaches, mature head space and experience.
If these guys were the complete package they wouldn't be with us.

Maybe we need to bring in a sport psychologist to help with the self confidence and visualisation, which will help the players to stay calm and composed! The mind plays a big role in sport, well everyday life, but if you have the right mind set for the situation then you can overcome it.

We have seasoned pros in Corr and Barnard. If they can't give the younger players help then get Freddy back on a tutoring role! There's a natural goal scorer in his younger, pacy days!!!

We have seasoned pros in Corr and Barnard. If they can't give the younger players help then get Freddy back on a tutoring role! There's a natural goal scorer in his younger, pacy days!!!

Barnard can't score from 12 yards taking a penalty with nothing in the way but a keeper. I wouldn't trust him to train anyone

Barnard can't score from 12 yards taking a penalty with nothing in the way but a keeper. I wouldn't trust him to train anyone

Wayne Rooney has missed his share of penalties. Most top players have, at some time or another - doesn't mean they're no good!

OBL please don't compare Barnard with Rooney, I think you are on a loser. :smile:

Lol, I know what you mean Ken, but even the best of them go through bad patches and Rooney had gone ages without scoring for England, yet managers stuck by him. Just because someone isn't scoring doesn't mean they're also no good at sharing their knowledge.

It was said by Paul clarke said last night that Weston is not a natural goal scorer . Yes he has pace but in frount of goal he does not have a finish . I also remember gillingham fans saying this as well .Phil Brown moans we are getting chances to win games but dont kill them off . Maybe he should take a long hard look at his paints strike force and look to loan a STRIKER .

Let's revisit at the end of the season and see how Barney has done

That doesnt take away from the fact that Barnard is an experienced pro and will have advice to share. You dont have to be in blazing hot form to be able to train others.

ON the flip side being good at something isnt necessarily a guarantee you will be any good at coaching either

That doesnt take away from the fact that Barnard is an experienced pro and will have advice to share. You dont have to be in blazing hot form to be able to train others.

ON the flip side being good at something isnt necessarily a guarantee you will be any good at coaching either

Put him on the coaching staff instead of playing him in the team.

I don't understand why strikers need coaching in how to hit the ball, that's basic as basic and they already have these skills, in fact most decent amateur players can strike the ball well, what they need is coaching in movement, taking up the correct position, spinning your man etc. not shooting !!!! As for missing the target that is almost always down to getting the mind right not the feet, that's why players at world class level still miss when 1-1 with the keeper or balloon penalties over the bar.

Getting everybody working on the same wavelength would to me seem like time better spent.

Miles Weston is 26, he shouldnt have to be taught how to kick a ball.

Coulthirst has surely been trained by Spurs coaches, now unless he has completely forgotten as well Im not sure what we need to teach him

All players benefit from coaching, but Id be very worried if we are having to teach them the basics.

Based on this comment why would we bother coaching for anything than fitness. All teams have offensive and defensive coaching. Weston as much as I like him is not the finished article and like anyone needs some positive coaching.

Based on this comment why would we bother coaching for anything than fitness. All teams have offensive and defensive coaching. Weston as much as I like him is not the finished article and like anyone needs some positive coaching.

Not at all. Theres a massive difference in teaching technique and general training.

We should be training in all aspects, my point is if Weston isnt hitting the ball at 26 then there is something wrong and focussing just on that is highly unlikely to result in him turning into a prolific striker.

Id rather we were practicing on how to attack as a team rather than focusing on individuals technique at how to strike a ball, when in reality its composure and decision making thats actually more to blame, and other than general striking practice I have no idea how you improve on what is a matchday issue.

Defensive and offensive training is definitely what we should be doing, teaching an experienced pro to kick a ball isnt going to have a lot of effect, certainly in the short term.

Coulthirst would have trained extensively under Les Ferdinand at Spurs so should already have those attributes.

Back