• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

[h=1]SHAQUILE COULTHIRST[/h]
shaquile-coulthirst.jpg

Lively young striker made headlines in 2012-13 when he struck a hat-trick in our spectacular 4-1 win at Barcelona in the NextGen Series.

Shaq bagged that treble in November, 2012 and that was three of five goals in eight appearances (six starts) as the team progressed to the quarter-finals of the Under-19 competition.
It was quite a season in front of goal for Shaq, with 19 goals in 29 appearances across our Under-18s, NextGen and Under-21s.
That included three goals in eight appearances in the Barclays U21 Premier League and four in three in the FA Youth Cup.
His performances led to inclusion in first-team squads - he was on the bench at Anfield in March, 2013 - and again in squads for pre-season friendlies in the summer of 2013. Andre Villas-Boas handed him praise for his performance off the bench at Colchester in July, 2013.
Born in Hackney, Shaq joined our Academy in July, 2011 and signed professional forms in April, 2012.
He was promoted to our Under-18s as early as the 2009-10 season and scored seven goals in 15 appearances in 2010-11.
Capped at Under-19 level for England, Shaq's statistics were impressive again in 2011-12, when he scored 12 goals in 24 apeparances (21 starts) for the Under-18s and two in two in the NextGen Series.

Mrsblue - The above is taken from the Tottenham website.

He obviously knows where the back of the net is - a little faith and I am sure the goals will come.

I thought last night was the ideal time to give Barney a start. He says he has his mojo back and is fitter than he's been for years. He can't do much worse than Corr at the moment. If it doesn't work out, then at least he was given a chance before being put on the transfer list.

Barney is our contracted player(still amazed we signed him)and for whatever reason doesn't get many minutes on the pitch so yes I agree if Barney is in Phil's plans for the rest of the season then he should have started.

I thought last night was the ideal time to give Barney a start. He says he has his mojo back and is fitter than he's been for years. He can't do much worse than Corr at the moment. If it doesn't work out, then at least he was given a chance before being put on the transfer list.

I agree.

Better? :smile:

He does need to be given a game rather than the cameos he is being given or whats the point and as you say last night was the perfect opportunity to let him make a claim.

By leaving him out it really doesn't sound like Brown actually rates him.

SHAQUILE COULTHIRST

shaquile-coulthirst.jpg

Lively young striker made headlines in 2012-13 when he struck a hat-trick in our spectacular 4-1 win at Barcelona in the NextGen Series.

Shaq bagged that treble in November, 2012 and that was three of five goals in eight appearances (six starts) as the team progressed to the quarter-finals of the Under-19 competition.
It was quite a season in front of goal for Shaq, with 19 goals in 29 appearances across our Under-18s, NextGen and Under-21s.
That included three goals in eight appearances in the Barclays U21 Premier League and four in three in the FA Youth Cup.
His performances led to inclusion in first-team squads - he was on the bench at Anfield in March, 2013 - and again in squads for pre-season friendlies in the summer of 2013. Andre Villas-Boas handed him praise for his performance off the bench at Colchester in July, 2013.
Born in Hackney, Shaq joined our Academy in July, 2011 and signed professional forms in April, 2012.
He was promoted to our Under-18s as early as the 2009-10 season and scored seven goals in 15 appearances in 2010-11.
Capped at Under-19 level for England, Shaq's statistics were impressive again in 2011-12, when he scored 12 goals in 24 apeparances (21 starts) for the Under-18s and two in two in the NextGen Series.

Mrsblue - The above is taken from the Tottenham website.

He obviously knows where the back of the net is - a little faith and I am sure the goals will come.

0 in 7 for us but don't worry he will come good.

I have to agree with with the sentiment of the thread...........minor panic is something for the end of September (another five games), if we haven't started to click. I'm hearing a lot of people saying 'same old.....' but it isn't quite is it? Last season we were never creating a hatload of chances each game, IIRC.
I said a week or so ago that some one is going to take a hiding from us and when that happens confidence, especially in front of goal, will return and the season's opening will be but a bad dream.........well, that's what I hope anyway! I think we're going to have to score goals because, for the moment, we don't look anywhere near as watertight at the back as we did last term. Rather than bemoaning the fact that we can't convert our chances into goals, I'd like to know how well we are playing? How attractive we are to watch? Are we more creative this season (something distinctly lacking last term)?

I have to agree with with the sentiment of the thread...........minor panic is something for the end of September (another five games), if we haven't started to click. I'm hearing a lot of people saying 'same old.....' but it isn't quite is it? Last season we were never creating a hatload of chances each game, IIRC.
I said a week or so ago that some one is going to take a hiding from us and when that happens confidence, especially in front of goal, will return and the season's opening will be but a bad dream.........well, that's what I hope anyway! I think we're going to have to score goals because, for the moment, we don't look anywhere near as watertight at the back as we did last term. Rather than bemoaning the fact that we can't convert our chances into goals, I'd like to know how well we are playing? How attractive we are to watch? Are we more creative this season (something distinctly lacking last term)?

7 games played and our forwards have scored

Barnard 1 penalty
Corr nothing
Coulthirst nothing

If they continue in that vein forget promotion and hello conference!

Not included Weston as he IMO is a midfielder/wide man.

To give someone a hiding, we'd need strikers that could actually be anywhere near these chances we are creating, and a defence that doesn't leak goals on the counter. Other than that...looking good.

To give someone a hiding, we'd need strikers that could actually be anywhere near these chances we are creating, and a defence that doesn't leak goals on the counter. Other than that...looking good.

Thats the thing, we scored 2 yesterday and people still focus on our ability to score and ignore the fact we conceded 2.

Scoring goals is an issue but people are getting rather tunnel visioned.

Maybe we should drop Bentley and put in Ted Smith. After all he couldnt do any worse could he? :net:

Saturday will be a good test to see where we are.

Oxford, scored the same as us (4) but let in twice as many (8) and have only won once in the league, since we battered them 3-0 on Sky in March. That is ONE win in TWELVE League 2 games.

If we cannot turn them over, then alarm bells will start ringing and perhaps the "reaction" will have a little bit more justification.

I wonder how much of this conversation we would be having if Barrett's effort had flown over the bar last night.........

I wonder how much of this conversation we would be having if Barrett's effort had flown over the bar last night.........

Just into September and we are out of 2 cups and 14th in the table so by even the most fanatical fan it's been a poor start.

Moot point - it didn't, it went in. Reason behind this? Crudely, Wimbledon played for the full 90 minutes and got their just reward - they then took the mental advantage into what was ultimately a penalty shootout, and bang, we are out of another competition.

Whereabouts in the table do you need to be for it not to be a poor start?

Being sensible after 5 games it is very early BUT clearly we all know our problem which Phil has still not solved that is the one thing I am concerned about,I reckon top 7 at his stage is a fair call and of course if we win on Saturday we will go up the table,BUT can we then after the win push on?

Being sensible after 5 games it is very early

Its way way to early to judge anything.

In 04/5 after 5 league games we had scored 2 conceded 7 and got 2 points - We got promoted
in 05/6 after 5 league games we had scored 6 conceded 6 and got 4 points - We won League 1

Wasn't that long ago Palace were nearly bottom of the championship at Christmas and then got promoted to the prem.

If we weren't creating chances and losing by 3 each game then fair enough, panic a bit, but its not like we are playing that badly.

Its way way to early to judge anything.

In 04/5 after 5 league games we had scored 2 conceded 7 and got 2 points - We got promoted
in 05/6 after 5 league games we had scored 6 conceded 6 and got 4 points - We won League 1

Wasn't that long ago Palace were nearly bottom of the championship at Christmas and then got promoted to the prem.

If we weren't creating chances and losing by 3 each game then fair enough, panic a bit, but its not like we are playing that badly.

My fear is I think other managers have sussed out Phil's game plan as they realised cover up Corr because he is detached from his team mates and they gain easy possession .

It's way too early to judge anything!

Exactly, anyway whatever people think about our strike force, I'd be surprised if we brought anyone else in on loan, without someone leaving (i.e. Coulthirst). More chance of us bring in a central defender. One day soon we're going to score half the chances that we create (why not this Saturday) and win a game comfortably.

There were positives. The side was competitive and handled itself well away from home. Conceded two but it was not our regular CB pairing and Mads has had little pitch time to fine tune himself. Barrett scored a scorcher but probably was aided by the side thinking the job was done and not getting tight on him.

Payne did himself no harm at all and Deegan had a good debut for someone who has had no recent match time.

The negative for me is Coulthirst and I have a feeling he is going to be a nearly man. Got the pace, a few tricks, but is not up to scoring at league level. I do not believe he is a natural finisher and for him to stay in the game he should think about training as a winger or maybe dropping down a level or two to see if he will ever find scoring boots.

Felt Barnard should have been given an opportunity and if not one of our unknowns. It was the JPT, handy tournament but not essential. If you look at the changes of players and tactics against Walsall in what is a bigger competition it appeared odd that PB was not a bit braver last night.

All in all it showed we have a squad now and our bench is probably stronger than it has been for a while.

We cannot continue to utilise players that spurn so many chances, especially when they do not even look like scorers. Tomlin always gave me the feeling that he knew how to score but needed it to click but Coulthirst just looks like he has one brain cell short when it comes to having the nous and composure to score.

Worrall, for me, needs to get a start. I like Hurst, but he's been well off his normal game so far. I'd like to see Worrall and Payne both start the next game, and I'd certainly like to see Barney start one.

Back