• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
How the hell did that happen?

No-one had a bad game.

White was excellent and made some great challenges. Mad Max and Prosser won everything in the air and Coker was his usual self.

In the middle, Deegan - 3 misplaced passes aside - was a constant holding player and always looking for the ball. Payne was great, probably our MOM whilst Atkinson and Worrall were everywhere.

Up front the pace of Weston and Coulthirst caused them problems all night.

Payne scored 2 great goals and forced another great save from their keeper.

Weston had 2 or 3 powerful shots saved or blocked and Coulthirst had 2 more saved and one cleared off the line. Leonard forced a fantastic save just before their equaliser. There were several other shots that didn't hit the target.

It is a long, long time since I have seen Southend team have so much possession and make so many chances, even allowing for the fact that it was against 10 men.

It is also a long, long time since I came away feeling as angry and despondent as I do. I think it was the combination of Barrett scoring a worldy in the last minute, just after we tried a stupid time wasting tactic at a corner by trying to keep the ball in it and failing, plus the fact that we had been so dominant and they only had 10 men.

Jesus, why did we try that? We were playing keep ball for most of the match without any trouble and against 10 men you shouldn't need to take the ball to the corners.

The trophy doesn't matter, it's just the fact that we are playing so well and yet not scoring. These players are pros and know where the net is.

Frustrating!

Deegan was guilty for our first goal - deserted his post both literally and metaphorically when they took their corner. That's why Bentley was giving him earache.

Same old problem,as Paul Clark was saying our finishing upfront is crap,mostly straight at the goalie without him overstretching himself!:thumbdown:

Whilst I was not expecting an equalizer like that from Barratt who was the slender one goal lead we held despite dominating was a concerned. I was not impressed with Deegan and think Brown was slow to use his subs again as feel he should have got Leonard on much sooner. I can except Coulthirst missing chances but it does concern me that it seemed there were a couple of occasions again last night were he seemed to pull out and not want it enough which really grates on me. Overall a decent team performance albeit against 10 men for the best part with our MOM Payne but possibly overall there keeper who although was dodgy with his kicking made a number of excellent saves before penalty shoot out.

Poor finishing and lack of confidence would be my guess. Still wouldn't worry too much at the moment though.

Same old problem,as Paul Clark was saying our finishing upfront is crap,mostly straight atthe goalie without him overstretching himself!:thumbdown:
But isnt that why they are League 2 strikers?? If they were better they wouldn't be with us....

But isnt that why they are League 2 strikers?? If they were better they wouldn't be with us....

Coulthirst isnt a league two striker However he is still a kid and you take a gamble with them. Sometimes you get an Assombalonga but more often you dont.

Weston isn't even an out and out striker. I thought he may do well this season as he was the one getting on the scoresheet in pre-season, but other than a decent finish against Stevenage he hasn't really done much else to inspire confidence since.

Whilst I was not expecting an equalizer like that from Barratt who was the slender one goal lead we held despite dominating was a concerned. I was not impressed with Deegan and think Brown was slow to use his subs again as feel he should have got Leonard on much sooner. I can except Coulthirst missing chances but it does concern me that it seemed there were a couple of occasions again last night were he seemed to pull out and not want it enough which really grates on me. Overall a decent team performance albeit against 10 men for the best part with our MOM Payne but possibly overall there keeper who although was dodgy with his kicking made a number of excellent saves before penalty shoot out.

Yep. At times he looks like he is on someone else's payroll.

Yep. At times he looks like he is on someone else's payroll.

Shaq won't want to get injured playing for us in a tinpot cup game and I suspect also in a league 2 game,Still Phil seems to rate him as last night Shaq played his 7th game .

Shaq won't want to get injured playing for us in a tinpot cup game and I suspect also in a league 2 game,Still Phil seems to rate him as last night Shaq played his 7th game .

Shaq has been pony as far as im concerned. Pulls out of tackles has poor descision making and woeful shooting. If thats the furture of the premier league then im glad we are league two. I think in the times i have seen him play i think ellis brown looks a better player. And if layne is not going to get games then blood him at billericay or braintree.

Shaq has been pony as far as im concerned. Pulls out of tackles has poor descision making and woeful shooting. If thats the furture of the premier league then im glad we are league two. I think in the times i have seen him play i think ellis brown looks a better player. And if layne is not going to get games then blood him at billericay or braintree.

Agree agree agree !

The 2 you mention have not had 1 second of game time which baffles me as our first team strike force are struggling to get it on target let alone put it into the massive frame thing with netting.

They haven't got a sniff of first team action because they are not as good as what we have and are just kids. Through them in before they are ready, and you'll finish them.

Layne was playing men's football and scoring goals last year albeit at a lower level. He needs at the very least a chance to get some minutes from the bench to see how he fares.

Ellis Brown the same although he may not be ready just yet.

I would have thought the tin pot trophy would have been ideal and is a step up from the reserves.

If Shaq coulthurst was our youth and not spurs he would have had less game time. The fact he hasn't been producing yet gets games ahead of our own promising youngsters gives me the arsehole tbh.

They need to impress in development games first, if they arent doing the business there then there's no point in even giving them a go in a real game.

They haven't got a sniff of first team action because they are not as good as what we have and are just kids. Through them in before they are ready, and you'll finish them.

Jack Payne was often on here deemed not to be ready and he after 2 games is top scorer !

Last night the untried could have at least had 10 minutes yet nothing.

Jack Payne was often on here deemed not to be ready and he after 2 games is top scorer !

Last night the untried could have at least had 10 minutes yet nothing.

As I said in the other thread Im not going to get drawn into another tedious debate but Ive not seen anyone say he wasnt ready recently.

How did Barratt celebrate his goal, with quiet respect for his beloved former club or with cartwheels and a double summersault? Somewhere inbetween I expect. Scoring probably the best goal of your carreer with only seconds remaining I would imagine, be pretty hard to contain anyones joy.

How did Barratt celebrate his goal, with quiet respect for his beloved former club or with cartwheels and a double summersault? Somewhere inbetween I expect. Scoring probably the best goal of your carreer with only seconds remaining I would imagine, be pretty hard to contain anyones joy.

If he celebrated like that I'd suspect Wimbledon were playing a ringer

Back