• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

He should be called to book if he admitted he dived

100% agree. If it was an elbow/assault missed by the ref, there would be retrospective punishment, so why not diving? I guess there's no way of proving it if he denies what he said to Pross. Pretty disgraceful though!

He should be called to book if he admitted he dived

But in that case, he would never have admitted it, would he?

Have said for some time that there ought to be retrospective action for people diving to get penalties. The ref though, was right on top of it and should have seen it for what it was. No excuse.

As grating as Hylton is museshrimper he could have scored a hat-trick today.

Your right he should of scored more. Which backs up the evidence of his less than impressive career goal ratio. His finishing was poor.

Getting a bit bored of this one now, but to conclude, I was not being a champion of Hylton, simply pointing out an example of someone who can score at this level. As a few of you like stats so much, he has scored 6 times this season, our combined forward line have mustered 1.

Getting a bit bored of this one now, but to conclude, I was not being a champion of Hylton, simply pointing out an example of someone who can score at this level. As a few of you like stats so much, he has scored 6 times this season, our combined forward line have mustered 1.

3 of his 4 league goals have been from the spot to be fair. I would be really disappointed if we brought him in looking at his record.

We attracted that proven goalscorer Lee Barnard didn't we?HMMM

Barnard is more than capable of scoring goals if he is given a run of games and with a strike partner. Unfortunately Corr can do no wrong in Brown's eyes (not that I'm slagging off Corr here, he's the only player we have who can play the target man role). The one and only start Barney has had this season he looked our best player. Jack Payne could really bring out the best in Barney, he has always been a decent finisher but until now we've had hardly anyone who can pick a pass and open up a defence. Barnard has NEVER been one to create his own chances and we created very little last season, we made the play-offs based on an extremely tight defence and nicking the odd goal here and there. If chances are created then Barnard is almost certainly the best finisher we have up top, this team would suit him but Brown doesn't give him game-time. If we can't up our strike rate imminently then I hope Brown will make the change and bring him in.

I was directly in line with Hyltons run and Prosser never touched him - I thought he was having a fit!! Could not believe it when he gave it - I though the was going to book him for diving!!

Sorry have we gone stark raving mad on here? Are we talking about the very same Danny Hylton who has scored 43 goals in 209 career games? So an average of 1 in 5? Therefore a magnificent 9 a season average? And this for a penalty taker too (certainly at Aldershot and Oxford anyway!). Sorry from the sound of it I thought we were talking about Pelé or something.....

Bonkers, there are no other words. If someone like Hylton came in I'd be extremely disappointed in the calibre of player we were looking to attract.

Hmm, I think I'd be quite pleased with Hylton at this moment in time. I also think we might have had chances to sign a number of other proven goalscorers currently with L2 teams. Appiah, Barnett, Tubbs and Akinfenwah are all strikers who imo are all light years above our current crop of aging and/or incompetent strikeforce.

I'd even be inclined to have some real old boys like Cureton or Nardiello up front for us ahead of our current tripe. At least they look like scoring!

Hmm, I think I'd be quite pleased with Hylton at this moment in time. I also think we might have had chances to sign a number of other proven goalscorers currently with L2 teams. Appiah, Barnett, Tubbs and Akinfenwah are all strikers who imo are all light years above our current crop of aging and/or incompetent strikeforce.

I'd even be inclined to have some real old boys like Cureton or Nardiello up front for us ahead of our current tripe. At least they look like scoring!

You talk about signing proven goal scorers, but Danny Hylton isnt one, he is having a good season for sure butCorr scored far more than he did last year, he also scored more than Tubbs and Akinfenwa (albeit they were a higher level but only scored 9 and 10 themselves so not prolific there either)

Thats the problem with trying to sign strikers, real prolific scorers are out of our range and you have to take chances on players.

I suggested we go for Jonathan Forte who was on a free transfer at the beginning of the season. 10 league 1 goals so far

I suggested we go for Jonathan Forte who was on a free transfer at the beginning of the season. 10 league 1 goals so far

Having a great season, but got 4 goals in 28 last year, a third of what Corr got.

Finding someone with a history of goal scoring is extremely difficult at our level and just goes to show you dont even need to, just because someone hasnt scored hatfuls in the past couple of years doesnt mean they cant score goals now.

I have to say that the adulation Corr gets from fans is in my opinion, a little misplaced.

I remember watching us in the first season he played for us and he attempted an overhead kick that showed about as much technique as what you'd expect to see from an 8 year old. I think his level of technique can be described generally as "agricultural" at best. However, I was always unable to say much in this regard since, as you say, he scored 21 goals in that same season. I would of course question the "class" of the goals as most of them seemed to be scored inside the six yard box off his shin, but they all count.

His second season was a complete wipeout due to injury. His third season saw him score 13 goals in 17 starts, but whilst that seems a generous return, he came on as a sub in a further 23 games and 3 of his tally was scored in the JPT which for me is on par with a "friendly". We may as well count goals in pre-season against Gt Wakering, if we're going to count those ones.

Last year he got 13 in 51 appearances which is "alright", but not exactly setting the league on fire. Finally this year sees him with 1 goal in 12 appearances.

Overall, you take a way his first year of shinners and the record doesn't look quite as good. Although in his defence, he is a good header of the ball, but that ability is neutralized by our own style of play. If Brown knew that Corr was a target man, and someone capable of scrambling the ball into the net, why did he keep him here if his style of play contradicted Corrs few qualities. No pace, no skill, no dribbling ability or flair.....Hardly up there in the SUFC Hall of Fame....It's like Liverpool having Peter Crouch in theirs.

Corr has near enough 1 in 3 over his career with us. He is not the problem.

How many chances have our strikers been missing? It's not a lot.

Jack Payne has been totally found out in his last few games as I feared he might and he's not yet got the experience to deal with the man on man marking he's had to endure since York away. The problem for me is that our wingers are totally off form - Worrall looked very promising on Saturday mind but his injury and illness record seems to compare with Abou Diaby at this point in time. Ryan Leonard who is by far our best player has been off form and then got himself injured, that hasn't helped.

In truth I don't know what the answer is, that's Brown's job, but I am far from convinced it's the strikers who are the root of the problem.

Having a great season, but got 4 goals in 28 last year, a third of what Corr got.

Finding someone with a history of goal scoring is extremely difficult at our level and just goes to show you dont even need to, just because someone hasnt scored hatfuls in the past couple of years doesnt mean they cant score goals now.
Any striker needs service and that is what we are not providing to the likes of Corr Barnard etc. They have scored before so what is going wrong?

I have to say that the adulation Corr gets from fans is in my opinion, a little misplaced.

I remember watching us in the first season he played for us and he attempted an overhead kick that showed about as much technique as what you'd expect to see from an 8 year old. I think his level of technique can be described generally as "agricultural" at best. However, I was always unable to say much in this regard since, as you say, he scored 21 goals in that same season. I would of course question the "class" of the goals as most of them seemed to be scored inside the six yard box off his shin, but they all count.

His second season was a complete wipeout due to injury. His third season saw him score 13 goals in 17 starts, but whilst that seems a generous return, he came on as a sub in a further 23 games and 3 of his tally was scored in the JPT which for me is on par with a "friendly". We may as well count goals in pre-season against Gt Wakering, if we're going to count those ones.

Last year he got 13 in 51 appearances which is "alright", but not exactly setting the league on fire. Finally this year sees him with 1 goal in 12 appearances.

Overall, you take a way his first year of shinners and the record doesn't look quite as good. Although in his defence, he is a good header of the ball, but that ability is neutralized by our own style of play. If Brown knew that Corr was a target man, and someone capable of scrambling the ball into the net, why did he keep him here if his style of play contradicted Corrs few qualities. No pace, no skill, no dribbling ability or flair.....Hardly up there in the SUFC Hall of Fame....It's like Liverpool having Peter Crouch in theirs.

What Corr isnt as good at overhead kicks as Pele? Drop him!:smile:

It has been blatantly obvious for the last year Corr has been playing a holding position as a lone striker with his back to goal most of the time.

He may not be massively technical, but he is very good at leading the line and helping the ball "stick" up front, more so than any other striker we have.

Our style depends on having the lead striker able to hold the ball up to allow the other 3 attacking players to get forward. Well thats how its meant to happen.

Any striker needs service and that is what we are not providing to the likes of Corr Barnard etc. They have scored before so what is going wrong?

Thats the million dollar question and why Ive said on a number of occassions our problem isnt just "strikers". They do need to put away their chances, but they need to be getting more of them and we arent playing with the confidence to provide them.

The striker I would have liked is Jamie Cureton for this season. Even tho a bit old now, he will still get plenty of goals. Could have got us up this year. He is the ultimate fox in the box. He nearly always finds space, and if he gets the ball with a defender on him, he just side steps them and gets his shot in. He also is deadly and seems to score about 1 in 3 shots. Scores a lot of goals top corner where the goalie can't reach.

Hylton? No thanks. He is not a proven goalscorer and I'll say again I'd be disappointed if we saw someone like him as a sensible target. I'd take any of Tubbs, Akinfenwa or Appiah though - but then again I'd have loved to have snapped up any of those three PRE-season anyway, so nothing has changed there.

Back