• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
8 appearances 0 goals and has had soooooooooooooooo much pitch time.

Either Phil sees him as a world beater or something else is forcing his inclusion.

8 appearances 0 goals and has had soooooooooooooooo much pitch time.

Either Phil sees him as a world beater or something else is forcing his inclusion.

I wish you had made this comment before and on several threads as it's very informative !

As hilariously pointed out above only time will tell. But how much time I suppose is the biggy. Assombalonga and Tomlin in combination came gloriously good and I hope Shaq does SOON, especially as he is playing as one of our main strikers. Its not so much the contract as to when he will start fulfilling everyone's expectations. At the moment he may be getting more from the loan than we are. I hope it will come good. How long do we wait to see , 10, 15 games, 20?
I remember watching a youngster on loan called Keiron Gibbs, I thought he was a bit lightweight, quite good going forward as is the modern way, couldnt tackle a jelly baby defending and easily knocked off the ball, contributing to our conceding on a number of occasions. Now look at him? I would say on reflection , he got most out of the deal and learned a lot. With Assombalonga both sides of the deal did very well thank you. My worry is that whilst Shaq may be turning out for Spurs in the Champions league in 2 years time , and he will have gained more from the current arrangement than us. So no pressure ,but please try to get that first goal soon.

As hilariously pointed out above only time will tell. But how much time I suppose is the biggy. Assombalonga and Tomlin in combination came gloriously good and I hope Shaq does SOON, especially as he is playing as one of our main strikers. Its not so much the contract as to when he will start fulfilling everyone's expectations. At the moment he may be getting more from the loan than we are. I hope it will come good. How long do we wait to see , 10, 15 games, 20?
I remember watching a youngster on loan called Keiron Gibbs, I thought he was a bit lightweight, quite good going forward as is the modern way, couldnt tackle a jelly baby defending and easily knocked off the ball, contributing to our conceding on a number of occasions. Now look at him? I would say on reflection , he got most out of the deal and learned a lot. With Assombalonga both sides of the deal did very well thank you. My worry is that whilst Shaq may be turning out for Spurs in the Champions league in 2 years time , and he will have gained more from the current arrangement than us. So no pressure ,but please try to get that first goal soon.

When was Gibbs ever on loan with us? :nope:

When was Gibbs ever on loan with us? :nope:

He means Kerrea Gilbert I think

wasn't Matt Harold given 27 games by Tilson with what 1 or 2 goals or was it 0 goals in return, so we might have a whole season yet but lets hope it starts this weekend against Pompey

Managers change things when their plan is failing.
But is it failing after so few games ? I have made my views clear on Barnard in the past but it wouldn't be helpful to keep banging on about how it was a mistake to sign him, what the players need right now is encouragement. I find it incredible that Shaq is getting so much criticism, he's a very young man who is adjusting to a new manager and team mates. He is hardly a seasoned pro, give the boy a chance, he clearly has talent and PB and the coaching team will be trying hard to help him develop but it's only early Sept !!!!!!!

But is it failing after so few games ? I have made my views clear on Barnard in the past but it wouldn't be helpful to keep banging on about how it was a mistake to sign him, what the players need right now is encouragement. I find it incredible that Shaq is getting so much criticism, he's a very young man who is adjusting to a new manager and team mates. He is hardly a seasoned pro, give the boy a chance, he clearly has talent and PB and the coaching team will be trying hard to help him develop but it's only early Sept !!!!!!!

How many times did Phil actually watch Shaq play?..Probably once or not at all?

Shaq is the same age as the other untried yet Shaq has the luxury of being picked again and again without success,I think this is the factor which many me included cannot grasp.

How many times did Phil actually watch Shaq play?..Probably once or not at all?

Shaq is the same age as the other untried yet Shaq has the luxury of being picked again and again without success,I think this is the factor which many me included cannot grasp.
Firstly PB does not have to watch a player numerous times before taking them on loan, he has backroom staff and many contacts in the game that he can call on to help form a final opinion.

As for comparing Shaq's age to our youngsters they haven't been coached at a higher level and had experience at bigger clubs so overall I think it's fair to say he is a better gamble than an untested youth player of our own.

PB does not have the luxury of developing a side over 2-3 years, he is under pressure to get results now.

Managers change things when their plan is failing.

We understand your point Mrs B and I suspect we always have. What most don't agree with is your black and white view and the certainty that you attach to it.

History tells us how close the Man Utd board came to firing Sir Alex Ferguson for his failing plan before Utd went on to become the powerhouse they did. How close did we come to dropping the failing Tomlin and Assombalonga before they went on to deliver the results they did? Who knows what's round the corner for Shaq?

Sometimes it just takes a bit of time and a bit of faith. It might then work out or it might not but Phil is the man in the hot seat for a reason with the background, education, training, experience, insight, knowledge, contact with players, view of any smallprint in the contracts, contacts, game plan etc so we either trust him or we don't.

Many of us do. We get that you don't. You tell us quite a lot.

Firstly PB does not have to watch a player numerous times before taking them on loan, he has backroom staff and many contacts in the game that he can call on to help form a final opinion.

As for comparing Shaq's age to our youngsters they haven't been coached at a higher level and had experience at bigger clubs so overall I think it's fair to say he is a better gamble than an untested youth player of our own.

PB does not have the luxury of developing a side over 2-3 years, he is under pressure to get results now.

These people advising Phil are not doing a very good job then because so far the two loan forwards from prem clubs have managed 2 league goals between theirselves which frankly is not good enough.

Phil is placing his faith and his job on these prem blokes who IMO have not repaid that faith,Maybe the deal bears fruit for the club financially .

These people advising Phil are not doing a very good job then because so far the two loan forwards from prem clubs have managed 2 league goals between theirselves which frankly is not good enough.

Phil is placing his faith and his job on these prem blokes who IMO have not repaid that faith,Maybe the deal bears fruit for the club financially .
I don't know why I bother replying to you, maybe in hope that the penny will drop at some point LOL

I can be critical and far more scathing than you when I feel it's justified. I slated Barnard last season and I stand by my views on him as he should be performing better given his experience, however to criticise young players who are obviously at SUFC because they still have a lot of improving to do is just madness in my opinion.

We understand your point Mrs B and I suspect we always have. What most don't agree with is your black and white view and the certainty that you attach to it.

History tells us how close the Man Utd board came to firing Sir Alex Ferguson for his failing plan before Utd went on to become the powerhouse they did. How close did we come to dropping the failing Tomlin and Assombalonga before they went on to deliver the results they did? Who knows what's round the corner for Shaq?

Sometimes it just takes a bit of time and a bit of faith. It might then work out or it might not but Phil is the man in the hot seat for a reason with the background, education, training, experience, insight, knowledge, contact with players, view of any smallprint in the contracts, contacts, game plan etc so we either trust him or we don't.

Many of us do. We get that you don't. You tell us quite a lot.

Phil was an out of work manager who had been sacked at his previous jobs,No other club wanted him until Ron went calling.
Apart from Hull his previous gigs were a disaster,So as you say he has plenty of contacts yet none of them could find him a job scouting coaching or making the tea.

Phil has always been win 3 in 10 and it bears another resemblance here,Yeah you and others have faith but some of us don't share that view,This forum represents a small sample of fans views yet at games I have heard Phil get absolutely slaughtered by some.

Phil has had around 70 games here yet he looks nowhere nearer to that winning feeling.

Phil was an out of work manager who had been sacked at his previous jobs,No other club wanted him until Ron went calling.
Apart from Hull his previous gigs were a disaster,So as you say he has plenty of contacts yet none of them could find him a job scouting coaching or making the tea.

Phil has always been win 3 in 10 and it bears another resemblance here,Yeah you and others have faith but some of us don't share that view,This forum represents a small sample of fans views yet at games I have heard Phil get absolutely slaughtered by some.

Phil has had around 70 games here yet he looks nowhere nearer to that winning feeling.
How do you know he didn't turn down other jobs scouting or coaching ? He has media work too so maybe he didn't want to take anything other than a managerial position. Maybe you are right, we don't know but you write everything as if it's fact when clearly it's just speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back