• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend United manager Phil Brown: Roots Hall will be rocking at weekend

Evening Echo

The News
IT’S going to be a great atmosphere for our game against Portsmouth this weekend and we cannot wait to sample it.

More...

Good to hear Jason Williams doing well. Did fantastically in the under-18's, so good to see him still progressing. We can't have many trees left at the training ground with the amount of players that have been pulling them up!

For me he’s slightly ahead of the other young strikers we have at the football club because physically he’s already a man.

Seriously? Thank the heavens we didn't get Neymar or Raheem Stirling. ..they'd never make the cut ...as they still look like 15 year olds. I think PB needs to think before he opens his mouth sometimes.

For me he’s slightly ahead of the other young strikers we have at the football club because physically he’s already a man.

Seriously? Thank the heavens we didn't get Neymar or Raheem Stirling. ..they'd never make the cut ...as they still look like 15 year olds. I think PB needs to think before he opens his mouth sometimes.

League 2 is a very physical league and some younger players who don't have the strength may struggle. It may not be as important in league 1/championship but with the way football is played in this league it can make it hard for the less physical players to get into the game

League 2 is a very physical league and some younger players who don't have the strength may struggle. It may not be as important in league 1/championship but with the way football is played in this league it can make it hard for the less physical players to get into the game

Makes sense.

You mean like Coulthirst?? This is what frustrates some on here. Coulthirst gets knocked off the ball so frequently nad bottles challenge after challenge, yet he is deemed good enough, yet the likes of Layne, Ellis Brown and Williams not.

You mean like Coulthirst?? This is what frustrates some on here. Coulthirst gets knocked off the ball so frequently nad bottles challenge after challenge, yet he is deemed good enough, yet the likes of Layne, Ellis Brown and Williams not.

Is this the same Coulthirst that managed to battle through the over aggressive challenges of Phillips and Barrett against Wimbledon and get a shot away?

Maybe I see things differently, but I rarely saw him get physically battered in the games I've seen him play. Him not going in for tackles is probably more of a confidence thing, if you are low on confidence then you are less likely to commit to a tackle.

Is this the same Coulthirst that managed to battle through the over aggressive challenges of Phillips and Barrett against Wimbledon and get a shot away?

Maybe I see things differently, but I rarely saw him get physically battered in the games I've seen him play. Him not going in for tackles is probably more of a confidence thing, if you are low on confidence then you are less likely to commit to a tackle.

I agree that he has battled in some games and then others he hasnt. But unfortunately like it or not league two is a battle ground. As for not going in for tackles, do me a favour, its football, its physical and tackling is a rather important part of it. I run a under 11s side on a sunday, they go in for the ball and sometimes win it sometimes dont, but one thing they cant be accused of is bottling a tackle and even if they did they are 10 years old. There is no excuse for a pro footballer to pull out of tackles. If thats the case he shouldnt be on the pitch. As for confidence i dont think tackling will be an issue, tackling isnt a confidence skill. One on one, clutching at chances, missing opportunities which he is guilty of regularly are most defo a confidence thing. Thats why maybe just for a game or two he should drop down to the bench. Anyway that's my opinion and as always some will disagree.

I agree that he has battled in some games and then others he hasnt. But unfortunately like it or not league two is a battle ground. As for not going in for tackles, do me a favour, its football, its physical and tackling is a rather important part of it. I run a under 11s side on a sunday, they go in for the ball and sometimes win it sometimes dont, but one thing they cant be accused of is bottling a tackle and even if they did they are 10 years old. There is no excuse for a pro footballer to pull out of tackles. If thats the case he shouldnt be on the pitch. As for confidence i dont think tackling will be an issue, tackling isnt a confidence skill. One on one, clutching at chances, missing opportunities which he is guilty of regularly are most defo a confidence thing. Thats why maybe just for a game or two he should drop down to the bench. Anyway that's my opinion and as always some will disagree.

I'd say tackling is down to confidence, but it can depend on the person to some extend. Knowing that if you go in for the tackle and you have to make the ball otherwise you'll either foul the player or they skip past you and create an attack could mean that you just play it safe and just stand them up. I coach an under 8s side and had a kid drop out because in matches he wasn't confidence when going in for tackles.

I'd say tackling is down to confidence, but it can depend on the person to some extend. Knowing that if you go in for the tackle and you have to make the ball otherwise you'll either foul the player or they skip past you and create an attack could mean that you just play it safe and just stand them up. I coach an under 8s side and had a kid drop out because in matches he wasn't confidence when going in for tackles.

You are talking about a 7 year old. If you have a child with a certain fear or confidence issue you can try different techniques and methods to help them, bit like teaching children that heading wont hurt for example.

We are talking about a premier league footballer, massive difference. So going in and maybe fouling them or missing the tackle is better than standing off and not bothering. People need to stop pussy footing around these players and get them to grow some balls. Maybe he has confidence issues in terms of his striking ability but there is no excuse for lack of committment and effort, which, if you pull out of tackles clearly is. Agree to disagree i guess.

You are talking about a 7 year old. If you have a child with a certain fear or confidence issue you can try different techniques and methods to help them, bit like teaching children that heading wont hurt for example.

We are talking about a premier league footballer, massive difference. So going in and maybe fouling them or missing the tackle is better than standing off and not bothering. People need to stop pussy footing around these players and get them to grow some balls. Maybe he has confidence issues in terms of his striking ability but there is no excuse for lack of committment and effort, which, if you pull out of tackles clearly is. Agree to disagree i guess.

That was just an example that confidence can affect any part of your game. I remember when I was younger, I would hate going in for tackles because I was never taught how, same with heading. Actually looking back at the training I went to back then it was just a warm up and then straight into a match, but that is leading onto another discussion.

It can be frustrating when a player doesn't go in for tackles, but they are still human like the rest of us. I think this is probably one where we just disagree.

On the whole confidence debate I guess it isn’t the same for any one player and that is why there are differing opinions. From a personal standpoint I’d say everything in my game was affected by my confidence, when I was on a bad run my head was thinking more about not making mistakes than getting stuck in and affecting the game. Standing a player up rather than risking a tackle, choosing simple sideways or backwards passes etc. When a few things go right you grow in confidence, you make those tackles, you try more than just the simple passes, you take players on. Some players deal with loss of form better than others and it does get easier to bounce back the older and more experienced you get. Shaq is a young lad with great potential, Brown is putting faith in him because he believes that when he comes out the other side he will be a formidable talent in this league.

That was just an example that confidence can affect any part of your game. I remember when I was younger, I would hate going in for tackles because I was never taught how, same with heading. Actually looking back at the training I went to back then it was just a warm up and then straight into a match, but that is leading onto another discussion.

It can be frustrating when a player doesn't go in for tackles, but they are still human like the rest of us. I think this is probably one where we just disagree.

They are human and you are right, but, fact is that they are professional footballers. No player should need tobe told to make a tackle. If they cant do that by now they shouldnt be playing, Sure the like of Paul Scholes got a few wrong but it never stopped him trying. Tackling in this day and age is a tough call in terms of if you get it wrong it could lead to a red card, however, i would rather see a Connor Clifford going in full blooded than Coulthirst bottling it.

On the whole confidence debate I guess it isn’t the same for any one player and that is why there are differing opinions. From a personal standpoint I’d say everything in my game was affected by my confidence, when I was on a bad run my head was thinking more about not making mistakes than getting stuck in and affecting the game. Standing a player up rather than risking a tackle, choosing simple sideways or backwards passes etc. When a few things go right you grow in confidence, you make those tackles, you try more than just the simple passes, you take players on. Some players deal with loss of form better than others and it does get easier to bounce back the older and more experienced you get. Shaq is a young lad with great potential, Brown is putting faith in him because he believes that when he comes out the other side he will be a formidable talent in this league.

Good post and i agree, although as a more forward minded player my confidence was in my crossing ability or making the right pass. However, i never stood off a tackle. But thats me. Re Coulthirst he reminds me a lot of Tomlin, he struggled when he first came, once that first goal went in we saw a very different player. I hope as much as the next person that Coulthirst does come good, otherwise its a waste of a loan. The tough call for PB is how long he gives him. Im just thinking tomorrow might be a good time to give him a break.

[/B]
Good post and i agree, although as a more forward minded player my confidence was in my crossing ability or making the right pass. However, i never stood off a tackle. But thats me. Re Coulthirst he reminds me a lot of Tomlin, he struggled when he first came, once that first goal went in we saw a very different player. I hope as much as the next person that Coulthirst does come good, otherwise its a waste of a loan. The tough call for PB is how long he gives him. Im just thinking tomorrow might be a good time to give him a break.

You could be right and a few cameos off the bench against tired legs may be the answer to getting Shaq confident and firing. I get the impression that Phil has pretty good man management skills so would be able to convey that he still has faith in Shaq despite him trying something new.

Back