• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Deegan and Williams for me were the bright spots. Starting to worry about the form of Leonard. Payne adds a new dimension to the mid field with his quick feet and angled passing. Would like white to stop more of the crosses that came in down his slide. That said he did steadily improve after a shaky start against Holmes. Difficult to say if we have turned the corner. Pompey were very ordinary.
Really? I thought he did fine today. Remember that last ditch tackle in our penalty area late on when it was 1-0?

Would be harsh on Clifford to keep him out as he hasn't done anything wrong, but agree Deegan looked very good and should stay in the team.

He won't have to wait long, that nutter will get a straight red soon and cost us 3 points!

Deegan and Williams for me were the bright spots. Starting to worry about the form of Leonard. Payne adds a new dimension to the mid field with his quick feet and angled passing. Would like white to stop more of the crosses that came in down his slide. That said he did steadily improve after a shaky start against Holmes. Difficult to say if we have turned the corner. Pompey were very ordinary.

Why? I agree he may not yet be at his peak form of last season but that can be down to the changes in mid-field. But he does bring so much stability to the mid-field. And his work-rate is second to none. We'd be lost without him there!

Browny was delighted with all his players so he is not worried!

Today's yellows for our lads were weak, Jack got his for a "fair" foul only because their players bullied the ref into it, it was just outside their pen area and not in a dangerous position - and not for a build up of challenges: Deegan's was a reaction to an act by the Pompey player (simulation) and although not deserved for that particular incident the ref looked as if it was his "duty" to yellow Deegs.
Last week Lenny and CC got booked early on and that did cost us as both after that backed off from risk of further yellows BUT today that wasn't the scenario.
However another day, another ref and there could be more cards flashed about.

We can debate the merit of individual cards ........ but I was pointing out the total number of cards that the midfielders are picking up ...... and what effect that might have as we progress through the season.

Today's yellows for our lads were weak, Jack got his for a "fair" foul only because their players bullied the ref into it, it was just outside their pen area and not in a dangerous position - and not for a build up of challenges: Deegan's was a reaction to an act by the Pompey player (simulation) and although not deserved for that particular incident the ref looked as if it was his "duty" to yellow Deegs.
Last week Lenny and CC got booked early on and that did cost us as both after that backed off from risk of further yellows BUT today that wasn't the scenario.
However another day, another ref and there could be more cards flashed about.

He certainly seemed to only book him after the players protested, that said when he committed the foul I thought he was going to get a yellow as they were looking to break away and it was cynical.

On another note watched Coulthirsts goal again and the way he sent two defenders the wrong way was quality.

Would be harsh on Clifford to keep him out as he hasn't done anything wrong, but agree Deegan looked very good and should stay in the team.

Brown has shown that he is not afraid to take the harsh decision to leave out in-form players returning from injury or suspension if their replacements are playing well. Last season, Prosser, who had been playing really well all season before he got injured, couldn't get back in the team with Egan and Sokaluk playing so well while he was out.

Brown has shown that he is not afraid to take the harsh decision to leave out in-form players returning from injury or suspension if their replacements are playing well. Last season, Prosser, who had been playing really well all season before he got injured, couldn't get back in the team with Egan and Sokaluk playing so well while he was out.
Yeah definitely agree.

Have you ever made a positive post in your life?

I remember it. T'was a sunny day in April 2004, of course it was closely followed by 10 negative ones to more than make up for it.....

Think it was something along the lines of "Flavs is the greatest keeper since Lev Yashin." Or words to that effect.

Really great energetic performance...It was what last weekends game should have been, more energy and urgency, the subs made the correct impact and the added tenacity from Deegan really helped, a lot better than Cliffords performance last week. It will be interesting to see what Brown does in the next game.

Bentley - 7 - Good performance from Dan, one good stop and really good distribution. His kicking was a lot improved on the last few games I have seen. A lot of people comment on Dans kicking, just look at the pompey keepers kicking and enough said!

White - 6.5 - Pretty solid game from the captain, kept their winger quiet and got forward to support when needed.
Thompson - 8 - Very good in the air and on the ground, the centre back spot has a lot of competition at the moment so he will need to keep up these kind of performances.
Prosser - 7.5 - Mr dependable he has become and to be honest I would prefer Luke to be captain over White.
Williams - 8 - Thought he had a great debut, his all round game really seemed great, few wayward passes but still enough to get an 8 for me, unlucky not to score.

Leonard - 6.5 - Seems a bit complacent at times recently. Improved as the game went on though.
Deegan - 8.5 - My man of the match. Protected the defence, broke up play and let Payne get forward. Passing was good as he came to collect the ball and distributed it very well. Nearly a 9 performance which I don't think I have given since last season. I hope he can keep this up when he does get his contract.
Payne - 8 - Okay he lost the ball a few times but as long as he keeps terrorising defences like he does I don't mind. Brown is doing a good job with nursing him into the side in my opinion.

Hurst - 7 - So much more involved in a more natural position for Kevan, worked hard and some good crosses. Keep him in the team!
Corr - 7 - He was having a difficult game against two very good centre backs. Goal will hopefully see him regain some form. From his interview after the game it sounds like he is working hard.
Weston - 7 - Bit hot and cold, good one moment and not the next. Much better than last week though.

Worral - 7 - Doesn't get a lot of time on the ball but he does do positive things when he gets it, great assist. Just feel he could be another Dave Martin?
Colthurst - 7.5 - Really impressive cameo performance with his goal and a few other good runs. Brought needed energy to the team late on.
Atkinson - 6.5 - Could have done better with a good run down the right with his end product.

We haven't turned the corner yet but this is a good starting point. I think the fans can see the players still want it and are working hard to turn things around.

He won't have to wait long, that nutter will get a straight red soon and cost us 3 points!

Firstly we don't do bad normally when down to ten men. Secondly we have a good selection of replacements to fill in if he does get suspended.

Stop worrying.

Firstly we don't do bad normally when down to ten men. Secondly we have a good selection of replacements to fill in if he does get suspended.

Stop worrying.
I'm not worrying.....but most on here love a crab and a thug......Jack Payne shows how to win football games and to some extent so does Clifford.....two decent footballers, Northampton got rid so why the 8 ratings for a bloke that didn't do a lot?

I'm not worrying.....but most on here love a crab and a thug......Jack Payne shows how to win football games and to some extent so does Clifford.....two decent footballers, Northampton got rid so why the 8 ratings for a bloke that didn't do a lot?

Yeah Makelele was pretty average too ...

Thats a very narrow viewpoint Wiggy.

All teams need attacking players, and those that can help the team defend.

Payne shows how to win football games, he however wont be much help in stopping us losing them. Having a player like Deegan in the side allows Payne more freedom to do what he does.

To say he didnt do a lot kind of ignores what he did, breaking up attacks and stopping the opposition marauding through the midfield. Just because he didnt burst through or run with the ball doesnt mean he didnt do anything.

He hasnt ever been sent off in his career, unlike Clifford you you rate who got sent off twice in one season last year.

Using that logic we should replace all our defenders with strikers since defenders don't score many. Deegan took a lot of pressure off the defence today which gave them a much easier time, and playing the boring sidewards pass isn't always such a bad thing, it gives other players time to get forwardm

Deegan had a big hand in that win yesterday. His tenacity, winning of balls, sitting in front of the back four and generally un-nerving the Portmouth players gave others the space and opportunity to attack

Back