• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yeah but it was just outside of pompey's area and we had players back, I didn't think it was necessary at the time.

Have to agree with OAA. We had pushed plenty up, Holmes had the ball and was breaking fast. We could easily have been undone but Payne saw the danger and took one for the team with a blatant foul

I'm not worrying.....but most on here love a crab and a thug......Jack Payne shows how to win football games and to some extent so does Clifford.....two decent footballers, Northampton got rid so why the 8 ratings for a bloke that didn't do a lot?

If Deegan was a thug he would have retaliated when he was badly tackled. Instead, he gave the player the look to let him know he was a marked man and walked off.

Thought we played quite well, didn't give Portsmouth much to shout about, the back 4 played well and Deegan was a rock in front of them. He played his role really well, always seemed to be in the right position, decent on the ball too. That said I thought we had no cutting edge at all until we went 1-0 up and Portsmouth started leaving holes on the counter. People are asking where the passing game has gone, I think a big part of that is down to Clifford being on the bench. I'll say it again, Deegan was superb, and I'm not saying he should be dropped, but I definitely think our incisive passing game I saw against Stevenage was lost, a part of that may be down to formation, but I'd say without Clifford (or maybe Timlin for that matter) we'll struggle to create that again.

Payne was superb too. He keeps the ball so well, both whilst dribbling, he seems to glide through, and picks the right pass and accurately too. If the others could play passes like he does then we'd be laughing.

That all said, I didn't come away from the game with huge optimism for the season ahead. If we can get back to playing like we did against Stevenage, then we could do well, but we still lacked anything to worry Portsmouth in the final third, Corr was very poor in my book, he didn't win a lot and gave the ball away too much. It was only a header from 1 yard out that caused so much optimism around the ground. We were solid defensively, sure, but I didn't see anything that caused me to think we've turned a corner goalscoring wise.

For me Weston was woeful really, seemed to be in the wrong position doing the wrong thing. Case in point was him consistently asking for the ball out wide when we have a freekick, when all can see that he'd lose it there, which he promptly did. I think Worrall looks a better player than Hurst overall, and Shaq than Weston.

Thought we played quite well, didn't give Portsmouth much to shout about, the back 4 played well and Deegan was a rock in front of them. He played his role really well, always seemed to be in the right position, decent on the ball too. That said I thought we had no cutting edge at all until we went 1-0 up and Portsmouth started leaving holes on the counter. People are asking where the passing game has gone, I think a big part of that is down to Clifford being on the bench. I'll say it again, Deegan was superb, and I'm not saying he should be dropped, but I definitely think our incisive passing game I saw against Stevenage was lost, a part of that may be down to formation, but I'd say without Clifford (or maybe Timlin for that matter) we'll struggle to create that again.

Payne was superb too. He keeps the ball so well, both whilst dribbling, he seems to glide through, and picks the right pass and accurately too. If the others could play passes like he does then we'd be laughing.

That all said, I didn't come away from the game with huge optimism for the season ahead. If we can get back to playing like we did against Stevenage, then we could do well, but we still lacked anything to worry Portsmouth in the final third, Corr was very poor in my book, he didn't win a lot and gave the ball away too much. It was only a header from 1 yard out that caused so much optimism around the ground. We were solid defensively, sure, but I didn't see anything that caused me to think we've turned a corner goalscoring wise.

For me Weston was woeful really, seemed to be in the wrong position doing the wrong thing. Case in point was him consistently asking for the ball out wide when we have a freekick, when all can see that he'd lose it there, which he promptly did. I think Worrall looks a better player than Hurst overall, and Shaq than Weston.

Disagree with you there. Was always an outlet, made himself available constantly. First half, tho being marked tightly, took an early throw out from Bentley, controlled and shielded the ball, turned and left the defender for dead before running 55 yards and putting a cross in that Payne couldn't get on target

Indeed, thought Weston first half was putting in a lot of quality balls.

I mentioned before Williams wasting possession a few times second half, and Weston played a part in those, didnt seem to know what each other were meant to do.

Other than that thought Weston did ok.

I'm not worrying.....but most on here love a crab and a thug......Jack Payne shows how to win football games and to some extent so does Clifford.....two decent footballers, Northampton got rid so why the 8 ratings for a bloke that didn't do a lot?

Was you even at the game?

I mentioned before Williams wasting possession a few times second half, and Weston played a part in those, didnt seem to know what each other were meant to do.

Yeah I agree, at times they weren't quite on the same page. Hopefully in the next few weeks they will form a good partnership!

If Deegan was a thug he would have retaliated when he was badly tackled. Instead, he gave the player the look to let him know he was a marked man and walked off.
Yeah he did show great restraint, very professional performance and as many others have said allows others to play to their strengths.

2nd half Weston was all over them, making space, taking them on, getting crosses in, done his job well as did everyone which was the key, the side looked balanced for a change. Can't make my mind up whether Corr is carrying an injury or just out of form but again as a team it worked today, he scored so what more can he do to keep the boo boys quiet.

Pompey fans I thought didn't show much class yesterday, pretty pathetic songs.

Championship and you ****ed it up - really ? Not as bad as Premiership and you ****ed it up, i'd be keeping my mouth shut on that one.

You support **** and you've never won **** all- hmm well we've won plenty of games against them since they dropped down the leagues and if we are **** what does that make them.

Normally give credit to some of the bigger teams supporters but yesterday they weren't what they were....oh hang on neither are their team :smile:

Pompey fans I thought didn't show much class yesterday, pretty pathetic songs.

Championship and you ****ed it up - really ? Not as bad as Premiership and you ****ed it up, i'd be keeping my mouth shut on that one.

You support **** and you've never won **** all- hmm well we've won plenty of games against them since they dropped down the leagues and if we are **** what does that make them.

Normally give credit to some of the bigger teams supporters but yesterday they weren't what they were....oh hang on neither are their team :smile:

The way I heard it - and admittedly I was in the South Upper so couldn't have been much further away - was that they were singing "Premiership and WE ****ed it up, Championship and WE ****ed it up, etc". If so, fair play to them.

Highlight for me yesterday wasn't just the Shaq goal, but also seeing how much it meant to big him and his team mates. Fingers crossed that was what he needed and he'll kick on now.

Portsmouths results haven't been too bad this season , so given our recent run , I thought the team did really well yesterday.
Brown has also received a lot of negative comments on here by a 'few' , so I think he deserves some praise for both the team selection and tactics yesterday.
Giving views on performances and individual players is always subjective , but for me , Deegan was the big difference yesterday.
He gave the centre backs a lot of cover and forced Pompey to play into areas they didn't want to.
He was aggressive in the tackle , verbally encouraging to hie team mates and verbally intimidating to the opponents.
Yes , a couple of passes went astray , but he never hid at all and gave us the platform to win the game.
Leonard for me was our most consistent player last season , but yesterday IMO , he had a poor game.
Before anyone starts accusing of running down our own players , I'm not.
I'm merely highlighting that IMO , he fell short of his standards yesterday.
In contrast , I thought Hurst showed a few signs of coming back to form.
Not wonderful , but better than if late.
I also thought Corr did well considering there was no second striker to feed off him ( Payne was deeper ).
All in all , given that the team were under some pressure after the Oxford second half , it was a really solid team effort.
Given that we currently sit 8th in the table , it makes some of the negative rubbish posted on here by a 'few' last week all the more unbelievable.
Give this team and Manager a chance , and maybe they can get us out of this Division.

Crying out bloody loud,so what he arrived a couple of days before the game on Saturday, give him a chance to get to know the team and players and the way they play,full credit to the lad who is only 18 to step up and put in a solid performance.

I take it you were sat in front of Soccer Saturday yesterday then wigster..... :whistling:

Wasn't at the game, so can't comment on performances, but was chatting to my Northampton supporting boss, and he reckons Deegan is pretty good until he gets a contract, and then goes downhill a bit.

Of course, he could just be talking a load of cobblers!

A cynic behind me in East Reds said the same about Leonard and Hurst.Some people are never happy.

I was.:smile:

I thought Deegan had a pretty excellent game but he will pick up cards with his style of play.

Barring that tackle , he was quite poor. Gave the ball away too many times by just being lazy with his passing

Lenny is very out of form, but he certainly was not lacking effort as some are saying on here, and I think there were encouraging signs late on as he started to show that power and stamina which we all loved last season. That last-ditch tackle might have been all he did of note, but it was very important at the time. If he can get back to his top form, then our midfield starts to look very very good indeed.

So he is part of the IRA then is he? Calling him the IRA bloke is possible slander

He posted a tweet in 2012 in response to a team mate being called up for the NI team. An inappropriate tweet that was removed straight after. Doesn't make him part of the IRA does it? I could post up the ANC but it doesn't make me part of a murderous gang does it

How you can defend the tweet is beyond me.

I'm sure someone as opinionated as yourself would soon be moaning if the comment was about an anti IRA comment , should work both ways.

I will support Deegan the player but have zero respect for him as a man. Why people in the public spotlight continue to post cr@p on social media (then recall it) I'll never understand. Should act as a role model, gutted to read this article tonight.

The way I heard it - and admittedly I was in the South Upper so couldn't have been much further away - was that they were singing "Premiership and WE ****ed it up, Championship and WE ****ed it up, etc". If so, fair play to them.

Highlight for me yesterday wasn't just the Shaq goal, but also seeing how much it meant to big him and his team mates. Fingers crossed that was what he needed and he'll kick on now.

Yep, and they only started singing it AFTER our lot sang it at them. It was the classic taking the intended "insult" that they'd heard for years and embracing it nullifying the intended result. Same way Tottenham have done with the "yiddo" chant.

Back