• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

How Refreshing a win is.

WESTY_SUFC

After all the doom and gloom on here for the past few weeks I'd love to see some positive posts after our excellent win today putting us up to 8th in the league.

First of all we can put that silly made up rumour to about coulhurst having to play 20 Mins to bed.

Coulhurst scored in his first chance. Great substitution from the manager.

Barry Corr is now the answer to beat Portsmouth.

That was anything but a 'toothless display'.

The confidence of the players really looked up. Hope they carry that into next game.

In the post match interview on BBC Essex Bbbc said he had been low on confidence and scoring would hopefully made a big change to him mentally or words to that effect

the usual early season hysteria after not winning every game.....and the usual shouty my opinion is fact crew take over. still far too early for any kind of major reaction either way. I still have not looked at a league table tbh. I see many many signs that this sason will mirror last term....it will be tight and we along with 7 or 8 others have a decent shot at promotion.

the usual early season hysteria after not winning every game.....and the usual shouty my opinion is fact crew take over. still far too early for any kind of major reaction either way. I still have not looked at a league table tbh. I see many many signs that this sason will mirror last term....it will be tight and we along with 7 or 8 others have a decent shot at promotion.
Well said sir, exactly what I was feeling after today. We will be there or thereabouts at the death. COYBB

After all the doom and gloom on here for the past few weeks I'd love to see some positive posts after our excellent win today putting us up to 8th in the league.

First of all we can put that silly made up rumour to about coulhurst having to play 20 Mins to bed.

Coulhurst scored in his first chance. Great substitution from the manager.

Barry Corr is now the answer to beat Portsmouth.

That was anything but a 'toothless display'.

The confidence of the players really looked up. Hope they carry that into next game.

Proof positive that some people really will believe any old rubbish on here (rubbish that Brown himself categorically refuted this week).

You want positives? Certainly. It was a committed, assured performance against a very good side for this level and one I'd expect to be in and around the top 7 come the end of the season. The stand-out players for me were Deegan, Payne and Jerome Williams who for a young lad making his senior league debut gave what I thought was a high-quality display that meant we didn't miss Coker anywhere near as much as I thought we might. Those on here this week stating there is no difference between Jerome Williams and the likes of Layne/Jason Williams as none had any league experience - while I respect your right to such views I absolutely disagree with that. There is a BIG difference, Jerome Williams is attached to a Premier League club. He showed it today. Payne was also excellent once again and surprisingly so was Deegan, I assumed he would be a stop-gap squad member but he was one of the best players on the pitch. If you look at our bench today we had the likes of Clifford, Worrall, Barnard and Coulthirst as 4 of the outfield 6 - I'd wager there surely can't be a squad in this league with better strength in depth and it is that which in my opinion will give us a decent chance of promotion come May. Early days but I'm optimistic.

Oh and a word on Shaq, he deserved that goal today and showed that if we play him in the correct position and give him the right service (ie. with ball to feet and space to run in to) he'll score goals. Too many people were far too quick to get on the lad's back despite him doing a pretty decent job for the team in a wider position than he generally played at Spurs.

I'll balance it out with a negative! Whoever was responsible for the MotM award should be shot! Bentley did what he had to do very well, made one good save (the only one he had to make) but one of Deegan, Payne or Williams deserved MotM without a doubt. I can't think of any other negatives today, no-one had a bad game (even Thompson who I admit I'm not a huge fan of but he played well, he could yet change my opinion if he keeps it up). Bring on Cheltenham on Tuesday!

#COYB :loyalsupporter:

P.S. Oh I'll give you another negative, the referee today was absolutely diabolical! The number of fouls he missed was quite simply embarrassing, as an ex-referee of many years I'd have been slaughtered by my assessors if I'd given that performance.

Last edited:
P.S. Oh I'll give you another negative, the referee today was absolutely diabolical! The number of fouls he missed was quite simply embarrassing, as an ex-referee of many years I'd have been slaughtered by my assessors if I'd given that performance.

He seemed to let absolutely loads go before finally deciding to brandish a card, most of which I'm sure most other refs would have carded well before. I did think he was good at times though, firm in telling other players to get lost when they tried to surround him and a couple of times, playing good advantages and then going back to talk with the miscreant once play had broken down.

I actually liked the ref let the game flow. For the majority of it it was physical but fairly fought. Other refs would have stopped and started the game. That was for me a proper league 2 encounter, little battles, strong tackles and very little arguing from either players .

Mom was decided by mrs. Bentley, owner of Bentley and Bentley limited. Not really. He had little to do which ironically pushes the claim for mom to the defence.

MOTM is decided by whoever buys the package - on this occasion appeared to be 3 younger ladies.

He seemed to let absolutely loads go before finally deciding to brandish a card, most of which I'm sure most other refs would have carded well before. I did think he was good at times though, firm in telling other players to get lost when they tried to surround him and a couple of times, playing good advantages and then going back to talk with the miscreant once play had broken down.

He was better in the second half, however his first half display was the worst I've seen for a while down at the Hall IMHO (and having been a referee and assistant for many years I try not to criticise them). Funny how opinions differ, he missed so many first half fouls though I wondered if he'd left his whistle at home.

After letting so much go I really thought we were nailed on for a red later in the game as someone took the law into their own hands.....

I said last week on one of the doom and gloom topics that last weeks performance could be easily remedied with some hard work on the training pitch and according to Browns interview after the game, that is just what the lads did.

According to Browns interview he thought he had been training them too hard and that they had been leaving their form on the training track instead of out on the ground at game time , so took a different approach for this game and eased off a bit in training.

Are there any keen statatitions out there who know of a site that provides historical development, match by match, of League Two during previous seasons? What I wanted to check was, for example, the state of the league following a dozen games and to see if the promotion candidates were already in place. One could do it manually but there again I have other things to do with my time!

Are there any keen statatitions out there who know of a site that provides historical development, match by match, of League Two during previous seasons? What I wanted to check was, for example, the state of the league following a dozen games and to see if the promotion candidates were already in place. One could do it manually but there again I have other things to do with my time!

Whoever is 8th after 7 games usually have the title sewn up by Easter.
That is a fact.

A much needed win. It had been 5 games without a win and whilst nobody was talking about a winless streak you could certainly sense the mood round here.

Hopefully that will give the players some much needed confidence. It certainly helped having BBBC back in the starting line-up - every little spell without a win seems to end when he's eventually restored to the team - and Deegan in for Clifford really helped the midfield. I was a little surprised Deegan didn't play the previous game after he impressed against Wimbledon and it was good to see Hurst back as well.

A refreshing win for sure, but no cause for too much heady optimism yet. There's potential in this squad, pretty solid at the back and at times can create chances, a good level of depth too. Yesterday was good defensively but rarely did we do much in the final third before Corr's goal. I think with Shaq, Clifford & Worrall we might be a bit more potent going forwards or maybe it was just an off day.

Back