• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

All I can remember of Barrington Belgrave is his beyond legendary alliterative name, and him getting sent off whilst TAKING a throw-in... did he actually do anything else?

All I remember is going to my first game, looking at the list of players on the back of the program and thinking "Barrington Belgrave .... he must be a good player with a name like that!"

Went onto become the "Wayne Rooney" of non-league ... http://www.huntspost.co.uk/sport/football/neots_rooney_belgrave_bags_hat_trick_1_409657

All I can remember of Barrington Belgrave is his beyond legendary alliterative name, and him getting sent off whilst TAKING a throw-in... did he actually do anything else?

Was that at Orient? Foul and abusive language to the ref wasn't it? Sure we scored an own goal or two that night as well.

Was that at Orient? Foul and abusive language to the ref wasn't it? Sure we scored an own goal or two that night as well.

I seem to recall him saying something to the ball-boy who took some time handing him to the ball (Orient were 2-1 up at that point, one of theirs scoring a Phil Whelan putting in his own net from a cross, Belgrave scoring ours) - none of us knew it at the time though, and we were just perplexed when the ref sprinted over to show BB the red card!

...you bunch of wannabe football managers.:thumbsup:

You win some, you loose some.

A bit if realism needed sometimes. We will win games we should loose, loose games we should win. But by the end of the season we end up, roughly where we should do.

I predict a top 5 finish.
Keep faith.
Loose and lose are two words with different meanings, always worth checking for credibility :smile:

Looks like I am fairly spot on with my prediction so far. Makes the anti-brown brigade look pretty silly at the moment..:unsure:

I wouldn't get too excited, Brown has failed to show any tactical nous where it matters. Yes, he's beaten the teams outside of the promotion pack, but he clearly struggles as soon as his team comes up against a well organized team and we seem to have no answer. Look at Wycombe, we got utterly turned over. In total we only took 5 points from the other 6 in the top 7 after the first round of results from a possible 18 (thats 1 win and 2 HOME draws). And whilst this is OK and may see us reach the play-offs once more, I am concerned that we are one more going to get turned over in the semi finals as we come up against a better team with more organization and more desire/hunger. It will be like deja vu all over.....Before you know it, another season in League 2.

If you want to remain in L2 and challenge play-offs every year, the Phil Brown or even Paul Sturrock is your man, but definitely (on current showing) not good enough to pull us out of this horrendous league. Maybe Piggott might make a difference and we start showing something more in the coming months, but beating lowly teams means very little to me I'm afraid. What matters is how we deal with things in April/May.

Looks like I am fairly spot on with my prediction so far. Makes the anti-brown brigade look pretty silly at the moment..:unsure:

Not really.

The side is currently being held together by loanees who we aren't going to keep (we went there last season too) and restoring a Sturrock signing in Timlin who should never have been dropped. We finally pick up, many dropped points later, after Brown belatedly makes changes that most wanted a long time ago. What's going to happen when the loan forwards go back to their parent clubs? It's sticking plaster covering the cracks.

Meanwhile Brown's cash signings find themselves 5th choice in his position and given a free to Alloa. The young players he signed who we hoped we could polish into diamonds, like Clifford and Ellis Brown, find themselves on the transfer list not for a fee but for free.

Where's the progress? We're in the same position as we were this time of the year in Sturrock's final season (we were two points off the automatic promotion places then, compared to 4 points now), except that we don't have a Wembley final to look forward to nor games in hand over the other teams.

How has the team progressed? Worrall and Coker were excellent signings, but otherwise how has Brown moved the team forward? We don't have an established system, formation or style. Payne finds himself out of the team again. If it's a young team, other than Thompson (whose position is under threat from 35 year old Adam Barrett) it's essentially because we are developing other team's loanees for them, for no benefit to ourselves once they return. Bentley only got his chance because Smith got injured - Brown's first act was to drop him, then didn't pick him for Wembley nor even the final match of the season when nothing was riding on it.

The football we've played at home this season has been turgid, lacking creativity, flair and quality. Hopefully that'll change now we're playing a more attacking formation but would anyone really be surprised if Saturday was another 0-0?

Despite all this we may get promoted. The division is woeful this season and Brown inherited a squad that got 80+ points one season and was on course for automatic promotion (IMO) the following season until injuries intervened (in particular the excellent Timlin's broken leg in the JPT Area Final), so combined with our budget yes we should be there or thereabouts which is where we are. But if we go up, IMO we're less well placed to compete in League One than we were under Sturrock. Under Sturrock we held our own against League One teams in the cup (including some storming games) playing 12 times, winning 4, drawing 5 and losing 3. Under Brown we've lost both times. And if we go up, who are we going to play up front? What happens at central defence? Maybe we're sorted in central midfield - although they were Sturrock players in the first place.

Put all this together and looking at the bigger picture beyond the last two results I don't think we've particularly progressed, nor been given grounds optimism that we're on the right track LONG TERM.

However we've won our last couple of games so I'll be shouted down until at least the next defeat because football is nothing but short term.

Sorry if that's a depressing outlook. At least we advertise the Samaritans at Roots Hall now.

bkside very loose with his english.think he needs to pull his trousers up before he loses them.

I don't think you jib at my spelling will make a slight bit of difference. However, a capital letter and a space after a full stop is often required. As a Late 20's man with dyslexia, I even know that.

Back