• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Why Southend United's in-form midfielder Conor Clifford was sub against Portsmouth

Evening Echo

The News
AN ankle injury and a slightly below par performance against Oxford United last weekend, led to Connor Clifford being on the bench against Portsmouth.

More...

So he drops him based on form as well; let's see if that rule applies to Leonard if he doesn't start performing soon.

So he drops him based on form as well; let's see if that rule applies to Leonard if he doesn't start performing soon.

TBH I am beginning to wonder about Phil Brown.

He seems to me to have his favorites one of whom doesn't get dropped even after months of poor form (Hurst). Leonard has not been performing 100% and John white hasn't done so either since his shoulder injury (anyone else noticed how he seems not to close down and allow his opponent to cross the ball?). So how he can say that a slight dip in form is enough to drop Clifford is beyond me.

On the radio after yesterdays game he said that he thought that Hurst had returned to form and that Payne wasn't so influential as the last match.

Brown and I must of been watching different games!

He seems to me to have his favorites one of whom doesn't get dropped even after months of poor form (Hurst). Leonard has not been performing 100% and John white hasn't done so either since his shoulder injury (anyone else noticed how he seems not to close down and allow his opponent to cross the ball?). So how he can say that a slight dip in form is enough to drop Clifford is beyond me.

On the radio after yesterdays game he said that he thought that Hurst had returned to form and that Payne wasn't so influential as the last match.

Agree with what you're saying but to be fair to Brown he hasn't got anyone to replace White with.

Thought White had a decent game yesterday.

Agree that Leonard and Coker (prior to his injury) have performed way below par this season.

Clifford had a couple of good appearances but I think people have got a bit carried away with his pre season form. Last couple of games he has dipped and he lost the runner in the build up to the Oxford penalty. If all midfielders were in form I would personally have Leonard, Atkinson and Timlin all ahead of Clifford.

I reckon it was mainly down to the injury and the "below par performance" comment was just a warning to Clifford saying that he isn't a guaranteed started and doesn't want him getting complacent.

I thought White played well yesterday and Leonard improved after a poor first half. Leonard also doesn't have the freedom to make those steaming runs forward like he did last season, but with someone like Deegan in the team it may give him that chance to do it more often.

He did get dropped and hasnt been playing?

There is one thing dropping a player for being in poor form but you have to weigh up their contribution, the chance of playing back into form and who you replace them with.

White doesnt deserve dropping, even if he was in poor form who would you play instead? Should Brown just drop players to make a point even if the replacement isnt as good as the out of form player?

I dont get this "favourites" thing anyway, Leonard was one of our best players last season I think that deserves a little perseverance in letting him play his way back into form, he wont do that on the bench.

Not sure Id say Hurst was back to his best just yet though. As for Payne, he does look very lively and I thought he did well, but did he actually make an impact on the game? So that does make sense seeing as he scored in the previous two.

I agree with Phil Brown. If players don't perform they get dropped. I agree with Hurst being dropped as he needed a kick up the arse. Leonard should get dropped if he doesn't perform . Deegan got an opportunity and grabbed it. It's time for the likes of Barney Atkinson worell mads and Bolger to do the same.

This is the point of having squad and what was lacking last year.

The only exception to this rule is when we play a 4-5-1 and it would appear corr is the only player who can play the lone striker role.

I must surely be watching different games to some of the people on this forum. From what I have seen White and Leonard have been giving their all for the team in game after game. What do people want - 80 yard runs with a fantastic goal at the end of it each time they get the ball or magnificent last ditch tackles every time an opponent runs past them. Please, please watch the game and the players and see what these individuals bring to the team. 100% effort every time - they are total team players. What more do you want.

To me Clifford is an enigma - a skillful player but too individualistic IMO. Runs around all over the pitch working hard but with little end product to show for it. I believe we are a more complete unit in mid-field without him.

I must surely be watching different games to some of the people on this forum. From what I have seen White and Leonard have been giving their all for the team in game after game. What do people want - 80 yard runs with a fantastic goal at the end of it each time they get the ball or magnificent last ditch tackles every time an opponent runs past them. Please, please watch the game and the players and see what these individuals bring to the team. 100% effort every time - they are total team players. What more do you want.

To me Clifford is an enigma - a skillful player but too individualistic IMO. Runs around all over the pitch working hard but with little end product to show for it. I believe we are a more complete unit in mid-field without him.

I'd be interested in your view on Jack Payne. Similar feeling or a essential part of the team?

I'd be interested in your view on Jack Payne. Similar feeling or a essential part of the team?

Jack Payne is an interesting one, he scored 3 goals int he first two games so thats a no-brainer.

Against Portsmouth he looked very good, bursting forward, picking out nice passes at times (and at times gave it away too cheaply in dangerous areas) yet didnt actually produce anything. Cant expect him to score or create a goal every game though so would be harsh to criticise him.

I think Payne offers something more than Clifford so is more worth making space for, but it will be interesting to see if he can consistently produce an end product, rather than being another Lee Sawyer.

I think based on Saturday that Deegan actually compliments Payne more though.

Different scenario altogether. Jack is breaking into the 'game' so I do believe that Browny will protect him a bit from the rigors of League Two football. Excellent prospect is Jack, and done us proud in the games he has played so far.

He is a different type of mid-fielder to Deegan, Clifford, Leonard and Atkinson in that he is totally attack-minded so IMO should play off the front two. Not all games will suit that set-up so I trust in Browny to make the best decisions which I am sure he has done so far this season. (Personally I think we are blessed with the standard of our midfield - just wish I could say the same about the forwards - still plenty of time for them to come good).

Different scenario altogether. Jack is breaking into the 'game' so I do believe that Browny will protect him a bit from the rigors of League Two football. Excellent prospect is Jack, and done us proud in the games he has played so far.

He is a different type of mid-fielder to Deegan, Clifford, Leonard and Atkinson in that he is totally attack-minded so IMO should play off the front two. Not all games will suit that set-up so I trust in Browny to make the best decisions which I am sure he has done so far this season. (Personally I think we are blessed with the standard of our midfield - just wish I could say the same about the forwards - still plenty of time for them to come good).

Possibly use Payne in that position for home games and give him a rest at away games where we can play the defensive counter attacking type game. Throw Payne on if we need to attack late on to gain something from the game

Back