• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

.... and the back 4 looks pretty settled now also.

Not sure quite how you come to that conclusion ......... the right back yes, the left back has played for us twice (?) and Thompson has been stand in for a couple of games or so as well. On top of that Prosser divides opinion and others are of the view that Mads and/or Bolger would be better. And on top of that, we let in 2 goals today when York provided very little threat.

Overall, I would say the back four needs working on ...........

Not sure quite how you come to that conclusion ......... the right back yes, the left back has played for us twice (?) and Thompson has been stand in for a couple of games or so as well. On top of that Prosser divides opinion and others are of the view that Mads and/or Bolger would be better. And on top of that, we let in 2 goals today when York provided very little threat.

Overall, I would say the back four needs working on ...........

Prosser was excellent today. Thompson was pretty decent but sometimes wasn't tight enough.

I can't really comment about their second because I was a long way away but it looked like typical pinball where were didn't clear it when we had the opportunity.

Their first you can't really pin on the defense. It was Coulthirst or Weston(?) at the back stick who didn't challenge, and then the striker made a good gamble to run across the box and put it away. York were limited to a couple of chances and on the whole our defence looked solid (at least, a lot more solid than York!).

White had a good game, and Williams made a couple of errors but also looked very positive and confident.

To me it looked like the makings of a solid back 4 while Coker is out. Mads didn't carry himself like a 6ft 5(?) centre back, looked skinny and got little on his headers. However I've only seen him for literally 5 mins!

I like this conversation, let's look at it this way. We have an U21 international keeping a (previous) prospect for first team Championship football out of a side currently in 4th place in the bottom league of English football.

It's all rosy.

Also(!) someone on the terrace today said that Deegan looks like he's just got out of prison. Spot on IMO! Built like a brick *********.

He did really well at doing the dirty work and keeping it simple.

We dont have a real brick sh*thouse at the back who will get his head on everything so I think Brown has to concentrate on stopping the balls getting into the box in the first place. There is no doubt we are vulnerable when the delivery is decent. Similarly attacking wise without Corr we dont have an aggressive centre half for corners or free kicks.

If we beat the Shrews next week, we'll be averaging 2 points a game, which if maintained throughout the rest of the season would easily win us promotion and probably win the league into the bargin! UTB

He may well win more headers but he is sloppy and gives too much away. Thompson seems to be getting better and better the more he plays so I'm happy to stick with Prosser and Thompson. You don't break up a winning team.

That said, we did concede two today so there is always room for improvement. I'd personally like to see Ibenfeldt given a run.

Good stuff though all round. 3 wins on the trot. Good team performances and Payne is more than holding his own with 4 goals so far this season. Think that makes him top scorer in all competitions

I'm quite sure Bolger won't return while we're winning but I do expect him to come back in at some point. Brown rates him highly and from what I've seen I can understand why, he has some rough edges but he looks a more than decent player for this level. I still have my doubts about Thompson but he has been better these past few games.

Also(!) someone on the terrace today said that Deegan looks like he's just got out of prison. Spot on IMO! Built like a brick *********.

He did really well at doing the dirty work and keeping it simple.
i agree with this...he reminds we of a small Macca...breaks things up and prepared to to stand up in midfield..my opinion anyway

i agree with this...he reminds we of a small Macca...breaks things up and prepared to to stand up in midfield..my opinion anyway

We said this last week , ie the Macca comparison. Whether your are a purest or not, all winning clubs need that nasty bite in the middle, Deegan gives us this. Yes he will get bookings, but he will never shirk a tackle and I must admit I love players like , Mark Bentley was like that, ie just seeing the ball, no consideration who was "favourite" for the ball, in their own mind these players will always be the favourite ! This takes the ball winning pressure of others and as we've seen Hurst is coming back into his own and it also allows Payne to do what he is good at, ie running at defenders !

Nice to see these 3 wins, especially when I was told to take my rise tinted glasses off a few weeks back. I've so much faith in this squad and these wins don't surprise me in the least !

Bring on the next game !

I agree with this but I always wonder what he offers that Marc Laird didn't... The lad was such a class CM IMO breaking up the play recycling possession and controlling the tempo

having said that I am impressed with Deegan

Prosser was excellent today. Thompson was pretty decent but sometimes wasn't tight enough.

I can't really comment about their second because I was a long way away but it looked like typical pinball where were didn't clear it when we had the opportunity.

Their first you can't really pin on the defense. It was Coulthirst or Weston(?) at the back stick who didn't challenge, and then the striker made a good gamble to run across the box and put it away. York were limited to a couple of chances and on the whole our defence looked solid (at least, a lot more solid than York!).

Just seen the goals! Got their second one really wrong! Quite poor all round.

I'm one of those at present eating humble pie. Before the Pompey win I was one of those disappointed not only with the results but also performances and was critical of the tactics and team selection. However, you can not get better than three wins in a week, 9 points and all of a sudden three points off the top. We are certainly not the finished article but winning breeds confidence and the team must be on a high with another big game coming up on Saturday. Well done PB and the team.

Great stuff on the road for Blues, time to make Roots Hall a fortress now and we can all play our part in that. Onwards and upwards!

We need to Roots Hall pumping on Saturday, in appreciation of their efforts in the past week. Hopefully we can spur them on to a 4th win on the bounce. UTB

I'm one of those at present eating humble pie. Before the Pompey win I was one of those disappointed not only with the results but also performances and was critical of the tactics and team selection. However, you can not get better than three wins in a week, 9 points and all of a sudden three points off the top. We are certainly not the finished article but winning breeds confidence and the team must be on a high with another big game coming up on Saturday. Well done PB and the team.

I have said it before and will.say it again.....often playing three games in a week means making big strides up the table can be done very quickly. Still too early for me to even look at a league table tbh. End of october is when I start chewing things over. Over analysing things often leads to too many negative outcomes. We win som.we lose some....always been the way. ...pretty sure it will continue that way.

We need to Roots Hall pumping on Saturday, in appreciation of their efforts in the past week. Hopefully we can spur them on to a 4th win on the bounce. UTB
Gutted to have missed out yesterday, had planned to go for weeks then something came up last minute. Nothing better than a long distance away win, kind of vindicates the amount of cash spent.

Looking forward to Sat now.

Sounds like we got the job done yesterday. First time we have scored three I think this season and I think I am the first to point that out, as a lot of you are busy picking holes in the defence.

On the Bolger/Thompson debate... To me there is hardly anything between them. Somebody mentioned prosser splits opinion? I've never read anybody mention a bad word about him since his first couple of seasons with us. If either drops form it has to be mads who gets his chance in a league game next.

Worral seems to be making a real impact from the bench but I just can't see him getting a starting birth for a while, hopefully he will get a chance though.

If we beat the Shrews next week, we'll be averaging 2 points a game, which if maintained throughout the rest of the season would easily win us promotion and probably win the league into the bargin! UTB

Well that's the big if isn't it, we just need to be a bit more consistent. We cant have any 13 game runs without a win which ultimately cost us promotion last season!

I'm quite sure Bolger won't return while we're winning but I do expect him to come back in at some point. Brown rates him highly and from what I've seen I can understand why, he has some rough edges but he looks a more than decent player for this level. I still have my doubts about Thompson but he has been better these past few games.

Thompson` has played well so far but lack of height does render him vulnerable at times.

Back