• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What would you like to see happen?

• Ron to remain and sort the mess out?

Votes: 29 15.2%
  • Ron to leave and new owners come in?

Votes: 76 39.8%
  • No bloody idea?

Votes: 86 45.0%

• Total voters
6 of us wanted to hire one of the boxes and were quoted £420 and drinks/ food was extra,Crikey we could have spent 700 between us for a league 2 game!

That doesn't sound great value. Having frequented the box with match day sponsors I can say that you are very well taken care of by the staff and the customer service is very good. I would rather pay £20 and sit in the stands rather than £100 a head with no catering or drink though. The catering is very good too btw, I think you get a very good package in the boxes but I don't think the level of football appeals to the kind of people who are willing to pay for it.

6 of us wanted to hire one of the boxes and were quoted £420 and drinks/ food was extra,Crikey we could have spent 700 between us for a league 2 game!
and that was brought up as well, boxes are the hardest thing to sell these days so Steve told us other night:sad:

Is that why there is permission to build a stadium, retail outlets and apartments on this so called green belt site?

I don't know the reason behind why you're able to build leisure and retail facilities but not housing. I believe to allow that the council had to re-assign the land in some way, but that didn't include housing.

Match day traffic causes problems at most stadia in this country.

I think it was around 15 year's ago and I do believe it was an all seater stadium which was on the verge of happening before Ron changed things completely.

I might be wrong but planning laws haven't changed that much regarding stadia with safety the main driver and of course existing people living nearby.

It wasn't. It was under Vic Jobson, and was in the 1980s (possibly the 1990s). We didn't get planning permission, so it was a non-starter.

SUFC Commercial @SUFCCommercial
Executive Boxes for the Morecambe match have been reduced. Box for 10 people inc 3 car park spaces, match progammes and a pay bar £250+vat

Executive Boxes for the Morecambe match have been reduced. Box for 10 people inc 3 car park spaces, match progammes and a pay bar £250+vat
thats more like it, good price that:thumbsup:

Great value, a good idea doing specials like that as they do offer a very good matchday experience with good service

I don't know the reason behind why you're able to build leisure and retail facilities but not housing. I believe to allow that the council had to re-assign the land in some way, but that didn't include housing.

But it does include housing - there are apartments included in the planning right next to the new stadium.

But it does include housing - there are apartments included in the planning right next to the new stadium.

Only a relatively small amount. Apparently it is accepted that having a small amount of housing reduces the risk of crime on developments such as this. That is not the same as building a complete housing estate.

I know they have got flats in as part of the plan but it is highly unlikely they would get planning permission for a housing estate.

Really. Why? The Council want to get rid of the social housing flats around Queensway. FF is an ideal location to build social and private housing.

Really. Why? The Council want to get rid of the social housing flats around Queensway. FF is an ideal location to build social and private housing.

Because of the Green belt issues. Its always a massive challenge getting planning ,If it were that easy then someone would already have built there.

Despite this, If Im not mistaken there have been new housing estates already agreed in Rochford and Shoebury so to get another one agreed would be even harder.

If Sainsbury have pulled the plug Im pretty sure we will be starting for scratch. Planning permission would have to start from the beginning as the Roots Hall re-development will be completely different, and a lot of what was agreed in the latest planning meetings involved Sainsbury.

The plans at Fossetts dont need to be changed, but its all so tied in that Im sure we will be back to square one with no possibility of a Stadium for many years to come.

The big questions are if Sainsbury pull out does that give Ron an incentive to walk away, will it leave him with a clean slate or act as a massive anchor?

Rules wont apply, the staged plan was agreed purely because that was what Sainsbury had agreed to fund, without that funding the plan changes completely.

Surely he has been doing this for years?

Whilst everybody is waxing lyrical over the supposed value of the current Roots Hall site, may I remind you that a significant part of the reason that the old commercial properties aligning Victoria Avenue have sat crumbling in a fashion resembling post-apocalypse Pripyat for the past 20 years is that numerous Developers have tried and duly been thwarted in attempts to deliver major residential schemes on these plots, due to the projected impact on an already insufficient transport corridor - the ageing and wholly inadequate A127.
Placing 1,000 new apartments (or something of that order) on the RH site would, I am certain, be laughed out of the Council chambers, until such time as major re-modelling of the A127 corridor takes place.

For me, the ideal solution to this is for Ron to disappear down a dark rabbit hole, Southend Borough Council to purchase the site and do with it what they please, and construct a 10,000 capacity community stadium on the FF site, setting up a stadium management company in the process and agreeing a profit sharing system with the Football Club. It has worked exceptionally well for Colchester United (attendances aside, but that is a longstanding cultural position in Colchester), and the potential to expand in a sustainable fashion is always there.

Do away with the raft of landmark architects and other consultants we have employed to push FF to this current stage, and you'll deliver a modern new, yet modest facility, for not much more than £12m in today's climate.

Whilst everybody is waxing lyrical over the supposed value of the current Roots Hall site, may I remind you that a significant part of the reason that the old commercial properties aligning Victoria Avenue have sat crumbling in a fashion resembling post-apocalypse Pripyat for the past 20 years is that numerous Developers have tried and duly been thwarted in attempts to deliver major residential schemes on these plots, due to the projected impact on an already insufficient transport corridor - the ageing and wholly inadequate A127.
Placing 1,000 new apartments (or something of that order) on the RH site would, I am certain, be laughed out of the Council chambers, until such time as major re-modelling of the A127 corridor takes place.

For me, the ideal solution to this is for Ron to disappear down a dark rabbit hole, Southend Borough Council to purchase the site and do with it what they please, and construct a 10,000 capacity community stadium on the FF site, setting up a stadium management company in the process and agreeing a profit sharing system with the Football Club. It has worked exceptionally well for Colchester United (attendances aside, but that is a longstanding cultural position in Colchester), and the potential to expand in a sustainable fashion is always there.

Do away with the raft of landmark architects and other consultants we have employed to push FF to this current stage, and you'll deliver a modern new, yet modest facility, for not much more than £12m in today's climate.

Gets my vote.

Doesn't get my vote, I don't see a good reason to construct an identikit lego stadium smaller than Roots Hall which has already shown to be too small for us when we were in the Championship, it would have to be a minumum of 15K at least for me.

As an aside I do agree in regards to the A127 needing a complete overhaul, it has some ridiculous choke points that cause long queues to build caused by joining traffic (Fairglen, Nevendon and Fortune of War really need looking at). I'd suggest that it really could do with a third lane to allow traffic to join seamlessly at the aforementioned junctions.

They should be starting work at the Tesco junction very soon, hopefully they have more plans in the pipeline -

http://www.southend.gov.uk/info/200447/better_southend/488/a127_tesco_s_junction_improvements

Doesn't get my vote, I don't see a good reason to construct an identikit lego stadium smaller than Roots Hall which has already shown to be too small for us when we were in the Championship, it would have to be a minumum of 15K at least for me.

10k is more than adequate for us right now. Obviously if we were to fly up to the Championship again (unlikely for quite a while) then scope for increasing capacity would need to be in place. Which it would be as that is standard these days.

10k is more than adequate for us right now. Obviously if we were to fly up to the Championship again (unlikely for quite a while) then scope for increasing capacity would need to be in place. Which it would be as that is standard these days.

We are not going to be in the Championship for the foreseeable future, and we wouldn't average anywhere near 10,000 in League 1 even if we were doing well - if by some chance crowds did exceed supply, then the Club can actually expand simple structures without even affecting overall capacity during the season - you can supplement a simple seating structure with an additional 1,000 seats at either end in less than half a season.

Back