• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What would you like to see happen?

• Ron to remain and sort the mess out?

Votes: 29 15.2%
  • Ron to leave and new owners come in?

Votes: 76 39.8%
  • No bloody idea?

Votes: 86 45.0%

• Total voters
Don't know whether others have been keeping an eye on Bristol Rovers new ground development? It' not just us, that Sainsbury's have on tender hooks. They've even got Cameron batting for them.......not sure whether that helps a lot! :unsure:

http://www.gazetteseries.co.uk/news..._talks_with_Sainsbury_s_over_stadium/?ref=rss

That one was only just agreed as well which is the incredible thin and was one reassuring factor in ours.

If theres gets canned, and its looking likely, then that is another tick in the Sainsbury could pull out of Fossetts column.

Maybe there's leniency in the FA's ruling, but the wording states that the facility must be exclusive to the club. I completely agree that any facility like that should be opened for at least grass roots use, if not full community, but I also understand what the FA are attempting to do in ensuring the facilities are always available to the players first.

the below is from the FA

269.3. Indoor area for training and the playing of matches
Note: ideally a Club’s indoor facility should be located at its principal venue for the
coaching of Academy Players but it is accepted that a number of Clubs have existing
indoor facilities which are located elsewhere. Provided that the Rules relating to the
maximum travel time from an Academy Player’s residence to the coaching venue are
complied with, this is acceptable However, it is recommended that any new facility is
located at the principal venue.
Categories 1 and 2 One indoor pitch measuring a minimum of 60 yards by 40 yards which
shall be owned by the Club (or alternatively the Club must have a legally
enforceable agreement with the owner of the facility for its use by the
Club, expiring not earlier than the end of the current Season) and which
shall be for the exclusive use of the Academy at all times.
(Note: an
indoor pitch which complies with the size requirements set out in Rule
I.21 is recommended)

http://www.thefa.com/~/media/Files/PDF/the-fa-2012-13/2012-13-rules/youth-development-rules.ashx

the below is from the FA

Note: ideally a Club’s indoor facility should be located at its principal venue for the
coaching of Academy Players but it is accepted that a number of Clubs have existing
indoor facilities which are located elsewhere. Provided that the Rules relating to the
maximum travel time from an Academy Player’s residence to the coaching venue are
complied with, this is acceptable However, it is recommended that any new facility is
Categories 1 and 2 One indoor pitch measuring a minimum of 60 yards by 40 yards which
I.21 is recommended)

http://www.thefa.com/~/media/Files/PDF/the-fa-2012-13/2012-13-rules/youth-development-rules.ashx

What a load of bollocks that ruling is.

So SUFC could build a multi-million pound indoor 4G facility, which is used perhaps a couple of weeknights and for the odd game at weekends. But the rest of the time it is left unused. So many local kids teams could benefit from a facility like that, especially during the winter. This is why grassroots football in this country is a joke.

There is a huge lack of quality 3G/4G venues in this country, especially indoors. So when a new one goes up it should be made available to the Community on the hours the Academy is not using it. I wonder if the ruling is the same in countries like Germany and Spain?....Then again they have thousands more artificial surfaces than we do, so probably not the same problems out there.

Anyway, this is way off topic. But just wanted to get that off my chest!

What a load of bollocks that ruling is.

So SUFC could build a multi-million pound indoor 4G facility, which is used perhaps a couple of weeknights and for the odd game at weekends. But the rest of the time it is left unused. So many local kids teams could benefit from a facility like that, especially during the winter. This is why grassroots football in this country is a joke.

Completely agree, ****ing ridiculous, but The FA love their white elephants!

the below is from the FA

I.21 is recommended)

Yeah I've read the ruling, but it's up to the FA to apply that ruling and what I'm saying is as long as the club have priority over any other potential users, surely it's in the best interests of the FA and the football club to open up the facility to third parties. I've yet to hear of the FA clamping down on any club for opening up their facilities.

Non-matchday revenue and football club expansion are not mutually exclusive.

You can, and should have both.

As for match day specials we have got 9000+ in the stadium when we have done them recently, we average 5,000+ without them. When we were in the Championship we averaged over 10,000 and sold out our home end every game, the potential is there and thats what you build for, you build a stadium for the next 50 years, not for what is happening this season.

Im not saying we should be gambling anything, as Smiffy showed above you can get a decent sized capacity for not that much money, we need a stadium suitable to our size, not just the size we need in League Two, unless people are happy to stay there.

It would be interesting if Sherif could give an indication of how much a 16k stadium would cost in this day and age, preferably a bowl and not a horrible 4 stand Col U job.

You must appreciate that this is all based on my current assessment of this sector of the construction industry, but this economy has been showing steady signs of climbing out of the doldrums we have been planted in since the banking collapse - prices are slowly starting to align themselves with those levels quoted prior to said collapse.

With that in mind, if you use Col U as the benchmark - 10,000 seats in a basic separate stand configuration on driven concrete pile foundations, crucially, incorporating the golden-egg of a so-called 'main stand' with 3 floors of high-specification flexible space, modern executive boxes and corporate hospitality was delivered for approximately £14m, equating to a unit rate of £1400/seat.

I'd be surprised if you had to spend more than that to deliver a similar sized scheme in the next year or two. Leave it any later, and you perhaps succumb to the demand of a buoyant economy and inflated costs for key raw materials such as steel and concrete.

If you were to ask me my thoughts on bowls - aesthetically pleasing and perhaps contribute to improved acoustics once inside, but they are a very expensive way of adding a small handful of seats, and create underlying space which is neither effective or represents good value for money. In short, I'd rather add more seats to a simple four sided structure.

I have to be careful what I say, as I'd still dearly love to be involved in the design and delivery of a new facility for my Club, but appreciate it us unlikely to ever happen under the current regime. However, I'd be irritated if the Club were looking to spend much more than £15 - £20m to deliver something along the lines of a 16,000 seater. Bear in mind, that is for the ground prep for the stadium footprint and construction of the stadium only (i.e. it would exclude the civils works associated with constructing new link roads etc).

This very approximate rate also needs to be tempered with information I do not have access to such as the exact ground conditions, existing services infrastructure and contamination.

That would depend why Sainsbury pull out. It's very easy to suggest Ron should go but who would want to buy Southend?

That would depend why Sainsbury pull out. It's very easy to suggest Ron should go but who would want to buy Southend?

With planning permission for FF and at RH, I would suggest it would actually be quite an attractive proposition for a number of individuals or groups.

There will be no issues with interested buyers thats for sure. Would it match Ronnies valuation and would any new owners do a better job, are the only question marks.

There are plenty of people who an interest and some from unlikely sources and countries. :winking:

Call it common misconception or lack of confidence in our product, but many of our fans, blindly seem to dismiss our ability to be purchased by a sugar daddy or the like.

Despite our current plight, I see no reason why we wouldn't be an attractive proposition based upon our potential alone - if the likes of Fleetwood, Bury and Crawley can attract significant investment, then a town with a growing population, blossoming student pool and a direct catchment in excess of 1/2 million people should be capable of the same or better.

Call it common misconception or lack of confidence in our product, but many of our fans, blindly seem to dismiss our ability to be purchased by a sugar daddy or the like.

Despite our current plight, I see no reason why we wouldn't be an attractive proposition based upon our potential alone - if the likes of Fleetwood, Bury and Crawley can attract significant investment, then a town with a growing population, blossoming student pool and a direct catchment in excess of 1/2 million people should be capable of the same or better.
I thought spurs were going to bankrole us. They have the shop so the fan base is here. The deal is they ground share with us for the 2017 season when they are homeless. Everyones a winner:winking:

Maybe someone with a shed load of money can just come and buy Southend as a toy and make us the best team in the world.

Add Orient to that list.

We have far more opportunity for growth than them, if they could get a new owner we would have no problem.

Is it this week we may hear if Sainsburys pull the plug? Heard a few whispers that this week is the week?

Is it this week we may hear if Sainsburys pull the plug? Heard a few whispers that this week is the week?

I cannot imagine any news on the decision either way, would be very forthcoming. Certainly from official sources. If it is bad news, then I would of thought both parties would want it kept as quiet as possible, to reduce the chances of panic and bad press and to perhaps seek an alternate individual/group/retailer to take the project on. If it is positive then I expect both parties to just knuckle down and plough on as if nothing has happened.

If Sainsbury's pull out maybe Aldi would be interested. Aldi are booming in this country according to tonights news. I seem to recall that Ron had involvement in their store off Eastern Avenue many years ago. I think it was the only reasonable sized deal ever done by Martin Dawn.

If Sainsbury's pull out maybe Aldi would be interested. Aldi are booming in this country according to tonights news. I seem to recall that Ron had involvement in their store off Eastern Avenue many years ago. I think it was the only reasonable sized deal ever done by Martin Dawn.

but why would they want another store around the corner?

As far as I know Aldi dont build stores of the size that was planned for Roots Hall.

How about this idea from Portsmouth...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29408776
seems to be working well (credit to them)

Mind you they have a large fan base.

They are also trying to build a supermarket as part of their plans to survive. Lets hope Tesco dont get cold feet with new builds...

Back