• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

good result but put though94 mins of hell .we can count or selfs lucky that two shots hit the woodwork in the first half .But then good teams make there own luck and we did just that today .

A very good win from a very tough game, although I didn't think Shrewsbury were anywhere near as good as I expected, especially considering their size. Bentley didnt have much to do save wise, compared to their keeper who saved three or four times, although Shaquille should have scored with his header first half rather than head it at the keeper, but his goal was a brilliant header. Thought defence were brilliant today and stood firm, Williams impressed again although does get caught a bit going forward and last 10 mins he was knackered. Deegan and Clifford were immense again winning tackle after tackle. Hurst did well, a couple of lovely crosses. Weston disappointed, nothing seemed to work for him and Shaquille did better although does seem to fall over easily and at times turns into trouble rather than doing the simple thing. But it was a positive result and we are in a good place at the moment.

A good result against a decent side I thought. My niece was a mascot and also her first ever game she been too, so a win was a great way to end the day. She's only 5 but halfway through the second half she turned round and said, "these aren't Shrewsbury, they're LOSEbury"! I had a good laugh at that!

Best team we have played against this season,so a decent win and a good team display all round.As mentioned by other people their no 4 Ryan Woods really ran the show in midfield at times,so it really shows how hard our team played to get the win..... A great team effort

Good solid showing against a decent side who will probably be top 7 at the end of the year.

Defence earned us the points today. I thought Thompson was class today as was coulthurst who worked really hard and took his header well.

Man of the match for me was deegan who is what we have been missing . Really aggressive but can play aswell. Must be horrible to play against.

Thought the red card for them was a little harsh but was but it was reckless.

Good gate but lots of freebies given out. Next week maybe different.

This was a judgement game on how the new look Brown Boys would perform against a team who will be in the mix all season.
The fitness levels across the team are high and the confidence was almost there for the 98 minutes.
Shrews were set up well, big and organised across their line up; we must have given them a few inches and 5 kilos per man average but on our plus side was pace up front, grit in midfield and obstinacy at the bag.
Dan, 8, stood up well to what seemed like a Shrews plan to try to intimidate him-he passed muster!
Williams, 8, getting better and better, especially going forward.
Luke, 8, kept it simple, passed short, some good blocks and loads of strong headers.
Thommo, 8, same as Luke, best game yet IMO from him.
JW, 7, steady and sound, great cross for the goal.
Kevan H, 6+, not his best in 2nd half but good in first 45.
Deegs, 8, tigerish and tireless, aggressive and 4 from 4 with him playing!
Payney, 6+, some very good but out of game for long periods, too few runs with ball which looked good when he made them.
CC, 7, hard work, sometimes drifted and had PB shouting with frustration but honest, brave play.
Westy,7, fast, very fast, sometimes missing but always willing to try, tracked back well to help.
Shaq, 8, fast, confident, ran with ball and frightened 'em. Could have had 3 goals.

PB gets 8 for good subs at the right time & an emotional touchline workout!

Atko, 7, shored up midfield.
BBBC, 7, bossed it up front but west side lino obviously didn't like him. Could have scored with power header.
CB, can't score as only few minutes but won few headers in that short time.

Ref, 8/10, got most decisions right; especially the yellow cards.

We won ugly today, against a very strong Shrewsbury side (who should be up there as well this season)! Very happy with 12/12!!

A good result. Solid defensively against a very good Shrewsbury side. Shaq looked good even without the goal. Weston on the other hand, I'm amazed he's still in the side. He poses opponents a challenge with pace, but his effort levels are minimal, he doesn't put himself about anywhere near enough (note how he ran 10 yards to avoid having to jump for a header) and when he does get on the ball more often than not his first touch means possession is lost. I don't mind if a player isn't good enough, but not a player who is below par putting in minimal effort.

Only other note is that Woods, number 4, was everywhere, and seemed like he never lost the ball. Class above, easy MOTM.

Good result, but no cause for crazy optimism yet. We still don't look that threatening going forward (at least at home) but maybe we won't need to be if we can stay being so hard to break down.

This was a judgement game on how the new look Brown Boys would perform against a team who will be in the mix all season.
The fitness levels across the team are high and the confidence was almost there for the 98 minutes.
Shrews were set up well, big and organised across their line up; we must have given them a few inches and 5 kilos per man average but on our plus side was pace up front, grit in midfield and obstinacy at the bag.
Dan, 8, stood up well to what seemed like a Shrews plan to try to intimidate him-he passed muster!
Williams, 8, getting better and better, especially going forward.
Luke, 8, kept it simple, passed short, some good blocks and loads of strong headers.
Thommo, 8, same as Luke, best game yet IMO from him.
JW, 7, steady and sound, great cross for the goal.
Kevan H, 6+, not his best in 2nd half but good in first 45.
Deegs, 8, tigerish and tireless, aggressive and 4 from 4 with him playing!
Payney, 6+, some very good but out of game for long periods, too few runs with ball which looked good when he made them.
CC, 7, hard work, sometimes drifted and had PB shouting with frustration but honest, brave play.
Westy,7, fast, very fast, sometimes missing but always willing to try, tracked back well to help.
Shaq, 8, fast, confident, ran with ball and frightened 'em. Could have had 3 goals.

PB gets 8 for good subs at the right time & an emotional touchline workout!

Atko, 7, shored up midfield.
BBBC, 7, bossed it up front but west side lino obviously didn't like him. Could have scored with power header.
CB, can't score as only few minutes but won few headers in that short time.

Ref, 8/10, got most decisions right; especially the yellow cards.

I'm a big fan of Corr and think he brings a lot to the team , but constantly standing offside and giving lino easy decisions is pointless and wish he would cut this out - 3 or 4 times today in 20 mins !

Apart from that minor moan , thought we were well worth 3 points today.
Shrewsbury are a tidy team ( Woods played really well ) but really had no cutting edge.
A few long range efforts but Bentley wasn't overly worked IMO.
Thought the whole back four were superb with the CB's forming a strong partnership.
Deegan played well , with Clifford and Hurst supporting well.
I thought Weston and Payne were off the pace today.
Shaq is a difficult one to gauge.
Thought his header was superb and almost repeated it in the first half.
His work rate was also much more impressive than I've seen before and the lad has pace and skill.
I would say though , his decision making can be poor at times , but think that will improve in time.
Think he is going to have a big say in how well we do this season.
Unpredictable , but a match winner for sure.

Happy days, when was the last time we won 4 in a row? ( i hope to be saying this in all the upcoming matches, just changing the number)

Last season we beat Mansfield, Exeter, York and Portsmouth. If you count the FA cup game at Morecambe then it was 5 in a row :smile:

Last season we beat Mansfield, Exeter, York and Portsmouth. If you count the FA cup game at Morecambe then it was 5 in a row :smile:

And interestingly we next have Morecambe at home ............ that forward of theirs (tall, bald) is a real pro and quite often does well against us ........ so it will be another interesting game.

When you're in a bar in HK with fantastic live music on a Saturday night keeping up with the score and we are winning life doesn't get any better. This board does go from one extreme to the other. We have a tough October so much too early to go overboard but we are on a great run with what seems like a fantastic squad. We have quality on the bench with two promising central defenders not starting and Tims and Lenny both injured. Ok **** it, let's jump on the top of the world bandwagon :happy:

Thought Roxy and co called MOTM correctly, Shaq had a terrific game, but so did Thompson and Deegan, either of whom would have been deserving of the award. Was surprised at how much the Shrews' defence relied on their height, and how our little forwards were consistently out jumping them. Fairly even game, and delighted to have held on to a lead for 94 minutes!

Bentley - 7, did what was asked, only beaten by shots going well over and from distance
White - 7.5, good assist and played an important part in a solid defensive performance
Thompson - 8, am going for him (just) as my MOTM, Tommo had a terrific game and was the stand out defender for me, hope his shoulder is ok
Prosser - 7.5, typical Pross performance, very solid and grew into the game
Williams - 7, seemed invisible at times when providing a good outlet, need to use him more
Hurst - 7, had a good game, hustled and bustled and put himself about a lot more than recently
Deegan - 8, got better as the game went on to the point he was totally dominant in the middle
Clifford - 7.5, another who improved as the game went on
Payne - 7, Shrews had done their homework on young Jack and he didn't know how to cope with it, needs to have an option B in his locker
Weston - 7, not as bad as some are saying, got some good crosses in but desperately needs that goal to give him a boost
Coulthirst - 8, amazing the confidence a goal has given him, took his header for the goal really well and oozed class

Subs:
Corr for Payne, disappointing, should have been the correct substitution but Corr was bullied, shoved off the ball and consistently got caught offside
Atkinson for Hurst - did ok when he came on, he brings tremendous energy to a game

Officials:
Did ok, the red card was an easy call, you can't just jump at a goalkeeper in that way.

Always enjoy Academy day, it's a good opportunity to keep our youngsters involved and interested, especially in seeing so many of them progressing into the squad. Well done to all of them!

A great advert for league 2 in my opinion. Two attacking teams looking to play football. Like others I was very impressed with the solid partnership of Thompson and Prosser. I also thought White had an excellent game. Whilst the Shrews had a lot of the ball, especially 15 mins to 45 mins in first half, Bentley didn't need to do much, the story was the same in the second half, however what he did do was control his area and was dominant when crosses came in. I like the fact that Brown could change the formation in the first half, without having to change any personnel , I said this at the start of the season, we have great flexibility within the team that he picks at the start of the game.

My man of the match is again Deegan, as per others. As aside issue, whilst Payne is deservingly picking up the plaudits etc, for me it is no coincidence that our run has run the same period that Deegan has come into the side. He does all the hod carrying work, letting others concentrate on their own game. He is strong in the tackle, not shirking anything, regardless of the odds of winning the ball, he is also simple in his passing ! Superb and vital addition.

One final note, I was actually impressed with Shrewsbury and think that they will be in the mix at the business end of the season. If I was their manager and other players I would be fuming with their sub when he got sent off, you are 1 down, on a booking and you jump into a goal keeper like that - idiot !!!

Anyway, up the blues, keep up the good work, and this was one of those games that I used when we lost to Wimbledon, in that we will play worse and win ..., this was one of those games. But what we did do yesterday was dig in, be disciplined in our formation and made sure that even if we didn't have much of the all in certain periods, 9 times out of 10 the ball was in front of us as opposed to behind - that shows great defending attitude and as a Mr Ferguson said , attackers win your games, defenders win you titles !!

Deegan was immense!

I thought we were ok in parts but nothing brilliant,Shaq looked better down the middle.

3 points is the ideal tonic,Get in there.

First trip of the season My scores:

Bentley - 7 did his job... Did he think that Lawrence went in with his foot high?
White - did his job - 7
Prosser - 7 and a bit - did his job -went in where it hurts
Thompson - 7 got involved in some argy bargy - that's Clifford's job
Williams - Job done - 7 needs to work on his distribution
Hurst - Job done 7
Deedgan - 7 - put a shift in
Clifford - Much calmer than last season - 7 - task completed
Payne - 7 - won the battle of the munchins -
Weston - 6 what was his role? did he do it?
Shaq - 8 - made a pest of himself all match employment aim achieved

And interestingly we next have Morecambe at home ............ that forward of theirs (tall, bald) is a real pro and quite often does well against us ........ so it will be another interesting game.

Good to see us getting another victory in front of a larger Roots Hall crowd (even if it was inflated by Academy day). I said earlier that it was often the kind of match that we have blown in the past.........yet thinking about it, we usually do well against better footballing sides. Indeed, next week may be a more interesting test, against a team that got their season off to a flier and have recently flopped. They have lost their last three games ALL by 1-0 and have suffered three consecutive away defeats. (Direct football merchants???) This is indeed the kind of game, in seasons past, that we have screwed up.......and don't we have a rather bad history in league games with Morecambe???..........I remember last year, at home, wasn't too clever. :sad: Let's hope we can put them to the sword next Saturday but I don't believe it will be easy........tense and tight affair..........don't expect a hatfull of goals. I'd take one goal for us in an ugly win.

Deegan was immense!

I thought we were ok in parts but nothing brilliant,Shaq looked better down the middle.

3 points is the ideal tonic,Get in there.

Agreed mrsblue, but the Shrews packed the midfield and stopped us playing our natural, beautiful, passing game.

Back