• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend United midfielder Ryan Leonard set to return from hamstring injury

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United midfielder Ryan Leonard is set to return to full training today and be fit to face Morecambe this weekend.

More...

What a player to have on the bench. I cant see past Clifford and Deegan in the engine room for this coming Saturday , especially if Phil picks on merit.

I am a big Lenny fan but he should not walk straight back into the side. that doesn't send the right message to those who are playing so well in his absence. Also, for me his performances has been below par so far this season.

Great to have so much strength in depth though, just think we still have Timlin to come back too.

I am a big Lenny fan but he should not walk straight back into the side. that doesn't send the right message to those who are playing so well in his absence. Also, for me his performances has been below par so far this season.

Great to have so much strength in depth though, just think we still have Timlin to come back too.

I agree, I don't think any of the midfield were great saturday though and hopefully having the likes of Lenny and Tims waiting to take their place will see them up their performance levels again.

There is no need to rush Lenny back having won 4 on the spin, and looking strong in the middle.

I'd expect him to get 15/20 minutes at the end.

What great strength in depth we have in midfield - Leonard, Timlin, Atkinson all still to come back.

Leonard will start on the bench, and if Deegan or Clifford have a bad game he will replace them next game I think.

I thought the midfield on Saturday were nowhere near good enough first half...shrewsbury played the ball around in there almost at will....a few deegan tackles aside. Im not saying lenny should walk back in...but nice to have him knocking on the door

I thought the midfield on Saturday were nowhere near good enough first half...shrewsbury played the ball around in there almost at will....a few deegan tackles aside. Im not saying lenny should walk back in...but nice to have him knocking on the door

Agreed, but I don't think we should ignore the 'win ugly' factor as PB obviously values Deegan 'getting in player's faces' just like PB used to do.

Well, it is partly about the right mix of midfielders to match with the opposition.

Can't see the midfield being changed (aside a niggling injury or cold say) but having Leonard back (and possibly Worrall) means that Brown has plenty of midfield options should he need to change it about a bit. Our record against Morecambe is nothing short of terrible.

could put pressure on Payne too. people were saying he was playing too deep before the injury, or at least not doing enough damage far enough forward. how good would he be further up? less quality but more industry, pace and experience. just a thought

What great strength in depth we have in midfield - Leonard, Timlin, Atkinson all still to come back.

Leonard will start on the bench, and if Deegan or Clifford have a bad game he will replace them next game I think.

Agreed. Main worry for me now is the lack of depth at the back and upfront.

Agreed. Main worry for me now is the lack of depth at the back and upfront.

Not so much at the back.

We have two centre halves sitting on the bench and Coker to come back.

Right back is the only place we are short really.

Not so much at the back.

We have two centre halves sitting on the bench and Coker to come back.

Right back is the only place we are short really.
Fair enough we have cover at the back, but it's not really the same strength in depth as centre mid. Leonard, Atkinson, Timlin would walk into the starting line up of most L2 teams imo. Mads and Bolger wouldn't.

Not really a criticism of our centre backs, just an observation that we look very strong in midfield.

Great situation for us to be in, especially when you see players that you would consider to be first team (Mads, Worrall, Barnard etc.) potentially might not make the match day squad due to the quality we have fit at the moment!

It's Atkinson I feel sorry for. With the embarrassment of riches we have in midfield he will probably be limited to brief sub appearances and he's better than that IMHO.

Back