• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Next season so I have been told.

With Sainsbury looking likely to withdraw and FF a million year's away which leaves the golden goose RH to become housing.

I hope the people are wrong who told me.

Don't pass the buck. You obviously believe them otherwise you wouldn't have posted it, or you would have posted it with a caveat.

So, if we don't ground share with D&R next season then we can take it that you're wrong.

The big problem with all these ideas is if you dont sell Roots Hall you have no way to finance the new build.

Lol, sorry but thats beyond absurd.:hilarious: Did you not laugh in that persons face?

Lets take a look at that scenario.

Sainsbury pull out ?, thats possible.

So what then happens, we instantly knock down Roots Hall and build houses and play at Daggers in 12 months ?

Even if that scenario was remotely possible the planning application would take years, there is no way we would be ground sharing next season.

Seriously, people really need to question this type of garbage when people tell them it.

I believe FF was one big smokescreen !

The real money to be had is RH which could have 500 homes maybe even more?

IF RH was vacant do you honestly think the council would refuse housing on the site?,Especially if they the council were told 'we cannot build a modest stadium until we raise the funds through the housing development"

We eventually will find out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't pass the buck. You obviously believe them otherwise you wouldn't have posted it, or you would have posted it with a caveat.

So, if we don't ground share with D&R next season then we can take it that you're wrong.

Are you on a personal crusade to query everything I say ?

I do believe it but hope they are wrong.

The covenant IMO is worthless and IF any ground share becomes reality then surely the club would have a home?

Just to make sure everyone understands I have been told this so I don't know if true.

What is your profession mrsblue? Just want to know if your opinion is an educated one and if you have any experience of this kind of thing? Or does anyone on here? Are there any cases that have set precedents in this type of thing?

Speaking to one of my friends whose boyfriend plays for the Daggers,She told me by season 2014/2015 we will be playing at Victoria Road !!

Bloody hope not.

By 2014/15 season? Hmmm

I believe FF was one big smokescreen !

The real money to be had is RH which could have 500 homes maybe even more?

IF RH was vacant do you honestly think the council would refuse housing on the site?,Especially if they the council were told 'we cannot build a modest stadium until we raise the funds through the housing development"

We eventually will find out.

Yeah Ron planned all this didnt he. Got Sainsbury involved, kept it going for 8 years and then got them to change their policy.

Great conspiracy theory.

Roots Hall is worth a lot of money and would be to any developer and its certainly not impossible everything goes pear shaped and Southend United dont exist. The reality if you use any logical thinking is actually that wont happen, it 100% wont be happening in the next 12 months so we groundshare with Daggers next season.

There is more chance of Jason Williams playing for England in goal than that happening.

How on earth did someone say that to you and you believed them enough to post it on here?

Yeah Ron planned all this didnt he. Got Sainsbury involved, kept it going for 8 years and then got them to change their policy.

Great conspiracy theory.

Roots Hall is worth a lot of money and would be to any developer and its certainly not impossible everything goes pear shaped and Southend United dont exist. The reality if you use any logical thinking is actually that wont happen, it 100% wont be happening in the next 12 months so we groundshare with Daggers next season.

There is more chance of Jason Williams playing for England in goal than that happening.

How on earth did someone say that to you and you believed them enough to post it on here?

How much would FF be worth for housing?

Probably not done by design yet could easily work out well for Ron if he could build on RH and FF!

Why would a billion pound company drag their feet for so long ?

When I was told I thought it would make an interesting read for some hence I posted it.

As Chapperz pointed out my deadline date has passed so all is well..For now.

Redevelopment of RH has always been possible, and remains so. Arguably, such a proposal would have a better long term effect on the Club, given the prime location on what is, let us not forget, the main gateway into the Town, and just a ten minute walk from the amenities of the High Street et al.

If the Council could guarantee the CPO or negotiate purchase of the flats on Victoria Ave, then you have the ability to, in theory, build a gargantuan main stand on the car park to satisfy each of the Club's non-matchday revenue-generating targets. Personally, I'd combine it with social/key worker housing to sweeten the planning application, and partially fund the redevelopment.

This then indirectly enables the Club to bring the pitch East by a few metres, giving them a future option to improve or re-model the West Stand at a later date.

Additionally, if you then place into the equation, the possibility of removing the businesses from behind the North Stand, then you could wrap the new East Stand round the corner and build a new North Stand of the same/similar profile - you'd probably end up with a capacity not far off of 20,000.

Think of the somewhat unbalanced profile of Bradford's Valley Parade, and you'd have something that looked very similar.

Furthermore, if you could purchase the circa. 10 houses to the rear of the North Stand, adjacent to Fairfax Drive, then you would be able to open up the frontage of the stadium so that it doesn't have the enclosed feel it currently has - it almost becomes a showcase for the Town's enterprise and industry as you drive down the re-modeled A127....

Comments from a man who actually has knowledge and experience in this - get it done Sherif!

If we ever did ever leave for a new ground perhaps we could copy what Rapid Vienna did recently. Their fans paid a small fee and were invited to 'self-demolish' their old stadium. Head of the queue got first dibs on the goalposts etc, while the later-comers ripped out seats and advertising hoardings. Alas we would not need to 'demolish' Roots Hall, as most of it would flake away/crumble into our hands.

What I fail to understand is why people assume that if Sainsbury pull out the whole move to FF must be dead.

There are other possible suitors for a retail development but there are other alternatives.

Councils around the country are under great pressure to provide housing and the residential construction industry is now showing signs of an upturn, not quite sure where people are getting the money from to buy the properties being built but they must be otherwise there would be no market and no building going on. A quick drive around Southend will show you sites in Sutton Road and Southchurch Road currently under construction, the Pinnacle office block in Victoria Avenue is apparently about to change hands for conversion to flats, plans have just been passed for another 170ish houses in Shoebury, more plans for houses in Wakering on the old brickworks; there is definitely a thirst for residential development.

Someone above said that it would be possible to get 500 homes on the RH site, if that is the case then 500 units at, say, £150k a piece would give a retail value on the site of around £75m. Obviously there would be the building costs to come out of that but if the Club/RM could squeeze £15-£20m profit out of that then FF or, more likely, a more modest stadium would still be a goer.

I'm sure Sherif could tell me if my figures are unrealistic but I don't see why, with the currently improving residential market why residential redevelopment couldn't be a way forward, obviously Council would have to approve the plans but as I said above local authorities are under immense pressure to increase housing stock....

What I fail to understand is why people assume that if Sainsbury pull out the whole move to FF must be dead.

There are other possible suitors for a retail development but there are other alternatives.

Councils around the country are under great pressure to provide housing and the residential construction industry is now showing signs of an upturn, not quite sure where people are getting the money from to buy the properties being built but they must be otherwise there would be no market and no building going on. A quick drive around Southend will show you sites in Sutton Road and Southchurch Road currently under construction, the Pinnacle office block in Victoria Avenue is apparently about to change hands for conversion to flats, plans have just been passed for another 170ish houses in Shoebury, more plans for houses in Wakering on the old brickworks; there is definitely a thirst for residential development.

Someone above said that it would be possible to get 500 homes on the RH site, if that is the case then 500 units at, say, £150k a piece would give a retail value on the site of around £75m. Obviously there would be the building costs to come out of that but if the Club/RM could squeeze £15-£20m profit out of that then FF or, more likely, a more modest stadium would still be a goer.

I'm sure Sherif could tell me if my figures are unrealistic but I don't see why, with the currently improving residential market why residential redevelopment couldn't be a way forward, obviously Council would have to approve the plans but as I said above local authorities are under immense pressure to increase housing stock....

As a residential developer, you have to ask yourself what would be more appealing - I'd suggest most would plump for developing flats on/around the RH site than at FF which is a little too far out of town to be considered hot property.

In fact, I've never really been a massive fan of the FF site, selfishly, from a fan's matchday experience perspective, it means the Club have to provide all facilities on site to match the convenience of RH being so much closer (in practical terms) to the town centre.

I'd suggest that if you were looking at redeveloping part of RH in it's current arrangement, then the Council (social housing) and the University of Essex (student accomodation) would be two key potential enabling developments to allow the Club to stay put.

The standard development costs for a simple, modern stadium do not apply so seamlessly at FF, as it is essentially a brownfield site which requires extensive ground preparation/remediation, and civils works to provide sufficient access, services and traffic management. This all adds significantly to the overall cost.

Simply put, both the land at RH and FF is worth a mint, Ron owns both - and frankly, makes the 2m we owe Sainsburys penneys. And I wouldnt be surprised, that if Sainsburys do pull out, there will be some kind penalty there from them to the club. As owner of both RH and FF, Ron holds all the cards, and they are worth well in excess of 100m.

As a residential developer, you have to ask yourself what would be more appealing - I'd suggest most would plump for developing flats on/around the RH site than at FF which is a little too far out of town to be considered hot property.

In fact, I've never really been a massive fan of the FF site, selfishly, from a fan's matchday experience perspective, it means the Club have to provide all facilities on site to match the convenience of RH being so much closer (in practical terms) to the town centre.

I'd suggest that if you were looking at redeveloping part of RH in it's current arrangement, then the Council (social housing) and the University of Essex (student accomodation) would be two key potential enabling developments to allow the Club to stay put.

The standard development costs for a simple, modern stadium do not apply so seamlessly at FF, as it is essentially a brownfield site which requires extensive ground preparation/remediation, and civils works to provide sufficient access, services and traffic management. This all adds significantly to the overall cost.

And the club get to take the money in their tills rather than nearby businesses, whilst it might not be what fans like the more they spend at the ground the better?

And the club get to take the money in their tills rather than nearby businesses, whilst it might not be what fans like the more they spend at the ground the better?

Not strictly true, because the bulk of the proposed facilities at FF comprise third party retail units, for which the Club would only receive rental from lease agreements. Of course, spectator bars and concessions would contribute to the Club coffers, but nothing stops fans from doing what they have always done - congregating in town to quench their thirst/hunger and then travelling to the ground at the last minute to take their seats.

FF just adds a few more minutes and a little less flexibility to the journey back to the stadium.

I think it would encourage some to get there early, if the stadium has decent facilities and is decently priced it will surely encourage people to go there.

Simply put, both the land at RH and FF is worth a mint, Ron owns both - and frankly, makes the 2m we owe Sainsburys penneys. And I wouldnt be surprised, that if Sainsburys do pull out, there will be some kind penalty there from them to the club. As owner of both RH and FF, Ron holds all the cards, and they are worth well in excess of 100m.

I'm not so sure.

I believe the Council still control a key piece of land at FF, which without, the development cannot commence.

As for RH, surely due to the advance payments in excess of £5m from Sainsbury, they must effectively be "owners" of the RH land until such a time the money is paid back or the stadium and Sainsbury superstore are completed. They wouldn't of advanced a sum that large without some security. They aren't the only ones either. There is at least one other party that could effectively "own" RH should loan re-payments not be met in full.

I'm not so sure.

I believe the Council still control a key piece of land at FF, which without, the development cannot commence.

As for RH, surely due to the advance payments in excess of £5m from Sainsbury, they must effectively be "owners" of the RH land until such a time the money is paid back or the stadium and Sainsbury superstore are completed. They wouldn't of advanced a sum that large without some security. They aren't the only ones either. There is at least one other party that could effectively "own" RH should loan re-payments not be met in full.

Doubt it.

The money owed is no where near the value of the property and we know that other properties were used for security of the loans.

Ron would have been very daft to secure the loan using Roots Hall because that instantly would have given Sainsbury a very cheap way of getting the property for a knockdown price.

Back