• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The trouble with stopping the clock is that football is essentially a very fluid game instead of being one that is broken down into specific "plays" like NFL. If the clock stopped in football, where would the incentive be to restart quickly? You'd just have longer gaps when the ball went out of play. Players would have a bit of a rest, the winning team would just delay things anyway because it helps to break up any momentum and you would have to abolish the quick free kick or throw because the game would have to restart once the clock did. It would be torture.

There are things that can be done; for instance, why can the 4th official not manage the substitutions? Why does the game have to stop? The rule was presumably brought in to assist the man in the middle, but these days the game is officiated by a team, so why not use them?

Secondly, how about awarding free kicks for time wasting? Any team, in the ref's opinion, that is time wasting gets one warning, and then it's a booking and an indirect free kick. I think it would soon stop.

Agreed...and on the subject of substitutions...why on earth if a team makes a double or triple substitution, why does the procedure have to be repeated...the number board goes up...player walks off, shakes hands...sub jogs on, gets into position. Then the board goes up again and the whole procedure starts again for the second sub....why can't they just all come off together??

i do think there's a bit of an over-reaction on here personally. clever time wasting is part of the game and it gets our blood up in the stand but that's no bad thing.
basically it should be up to the refs and they should be backed up by the authorities to take a stronger line on time-wasting but in terms of introducing hooters and whatever i think that's too much.
we might just have to accept that the refs are as bad at the players at this level

Time-wasting is b....y frustrating. It costs me 9% of my weekly income to watch a game. If I want to watch people waste time, I'm sure I can do it for free!

i do think there's a bit of an over-reaction on here personally. clever time wasting is part of the game and it gets our blood up in the stand but that's no bad thing.
basically it should be up to the refs and they should be backed up by the authorities to take a stronger line on time-wasting but in terms of introducing hooters and whatever i think that's too much.
we might just have to accept that the refs are as bad at the players at this level

You're quite right..."clever time wasting" if is done legally is no bad thing. and the best way to run the clock down is to keep the ball...nothing wrong with taking into the corner and winning throw ins..it's within the laws of the game.

The talk of hooters and things is way OTT..as you rightly say the authorities and match officials should and could be able to manage it. As soon as players start to be carded for time wasting (including second yellows too) consistently they will stop doing it. It would be ridiculously simple to do too which is the frustrating thing...if there was zero tolerance on kicking the ball away or blocking free kicks being taken, players would stop doing it immediately.

The ref booked one player very early on for time wasting then did nothing more all game to deter Morecambe from those tactics. Definitely one that poor officials let go. I heard PB say on the radio that one free kick by Morecambe took 70 seconds from when the whistle blew - that's awful.

I counted 80 seconds (using the North Stand display) between a foul on the half way (by John White - around the 63 minute mark) and the game recommencing - most of this due to a Morecambe player sitting down for an injury.

How there was only 5 minutes of injury time was a mystery to me.

and I have an idea too.

If a player needs the game to be stopped for an injury (to bring a physio on). He has to wait 5 minutes before he's allowed back on the field again. If you need treatment then go off the pitch for it, don't delay the game. Only bring the physio on if you cannot get off the pitch....yes you will get the odd genuinely injured player having to be sacrificed for 5 minutes now and again, but it would stamo out the time-wasting by feigning injury.

Not so good if one of your players is fouled and needs the magic sponge and then spends the next 5 minutes waiting to come on ............:'(

Otherwise I do wonder sometimes why the referee allows the physio on when the player could get off the pitch.

I did not admire the Morecambe tactics but they used the laws of the game as they are currently enforced.

The referee warned a player after only 13 minutes (a new world record?) and then booked a player. Thereafter every Morecambe player used just enough time for the referee to be unable to justify a booking ....... and they shared the task around.

On the other hand the arms around a player when jumping for a ball was not given as a foul on too many occasions.

There was a comment above about getting in the "face of the referee". I don't like that and I don't think playing rough is our style so I am happy to leave it to others.

Last edited:
it does annoy me that the ref counts time the ball is in the stand or the carpark as live time as part of the game as in if there is 1 minute added time and the ball is in the stand for 50 seconds then you only get 10 seconds of playing time. surely the added time should be all live playing time.

making players go off is a nonsense, always stupid and they get stuck off the pitch waiting to come back on 9 times out of 10 coz they've had any treatment they need on the pitch. bloody stupid

I personally thought that the referee was very weak and didn't really have much idea what was going on, yes Morecombe were time wasting but he showed his 'lack of bottle' when he didn't book their player for taking a swing at Thompson in the first half.

It is very annoying, and when you think £21 to watch league two fare, then only actually see about 60 minutes worth of football, you can see why people don't bother.

It is part of many clubs 'game' ours included, but Burton, and Morecambe are possibly among the worst I've seen. I have no gripes about Morecambe's victory as they were the better team , and in the goalscoring number 7 possesed the best player on the pitch (Bentley aside). Had they not wasted so much time they might have won by a bigger margin (as their manager refers to) But they have to taket their one v one chances and have more nous in front of goal, oh and actually have the ball in play instead of in their goalkeepers arms for minutes on end during a game.

All this doesn't mask the fact we were offensively clueless. And until our forwards, or anyone who is forward of the ball is taught to 'move off the ball':smile:, then goals will be hard to come by.

1. Allow teams to kick-off as soon as they are ready
2. Play to commence as soon as the sub crosses the white line. None of this nonsense about waiting for him to take up his position. Also allow play to commence if the sub is taking too long to trudge off. If the subbing team is the one taking the free-kick or throw (or rather not taking it) reverse the throw/free-kick.

2. Play to commence as soon as the sub crosses the white line. None of this nonsense about waiting for him to take up his position. Also allow play to commence if the sub is taking too long to trudge off. If the subbing team is the one taking the free-kick or throw (or rather not taking it) reverse the throw/free-kick.

I particularly like no 1.

Agreed...and on the subject of substitutions...why on earth if a team makes a double or triple substitution, why does the procedure have to be repeated...the number board goes up...player walks off, shakes hands...sub jogs on, gets into position. Then the board goes up again and the whole procedure starts again for the second sub....why can't they just all come off together??

That'd be one big numbers board !

Time-wasting is b....y frustrating. It costs me 9% of my weekly income to watch a game. If I want to watch people waste time, I'm sure I can do it for free!

That's a co-incidence; he added an extra 9% on to the playing time yesterday.

All of this frustration would be irrelevant if Phil Brown's teams weren't so utterly clueless on how to break down a defensive unit.

What it needs is an instruction from the FA or even FIFA. At the moment a referee will only caution for obvious timewasting.

But lets be honest, teams are coached to do it. How many times is the person being taken off as far away from the dug out as possible? That's coz they are told to go there and then slowly walk back. (Id love to see a yellow card waved).

Everyone does it. Some are more subtle than others. Morecambe were excessive because they started timewasting from the moment they scored, and that just makes for bad viewing.

Sadly, aside from not dealing with the time wasting I thought the ref had a pretty good game.

Don't forget that they were feigning injury to stop us building up a head of steam. How many of their players mysteriously had injuries and then a few moments later were running around as fit as a fiddle again?
One rule I absolutely hate is this passing the ball back to the opposition (usually by giving the opposing goalie a goal kick) when play has been stopped because of an injured player. I suggest that when the ref stops the game because of an injured player, he should award a throw in to the team in possession at the time of the stoppage and have it taken level with where play was stopped. That way you don't lose possession through no fault of your own. Another rule that needs changing is if a player receives an injury as a result of a foul on him, then he needn't leave the pitch to come on again. This would stop the team that has been fouled having to start the play again with the offended player off the pitch and thus put them at a disadvantage because of the foul. This is especially important if the free kick is near the box.
Come to think of it, I should rewrite the laws of the game!

But lets be honest, teams are coached to do it. How many times is the person being taken off as far away from the dug out as possible? That's coz they are told to go there and then slowly walk back. (Id love to see a yellow card waved).

Correct. I've even seen PB signal to one of our players who was about to be subbed to get away over to the far side!

One rule I absolutely hate is this passing the ball back to the opposition (usually by giving the opposing goalie a goal kick) when play has been stopped because of an injured player. I suggest that when the ref stops the game because of an injured player, he should award a throw in to the team in possession at the time of the stoppage and have it taken level with where play was stopped. That way you don't lose possession through no fault of your own.

Absolutely agree with this!

How about not stopping play at all for subs, let the 4th official handle it and they new player just goes on when the other player comes off.

I do think this is all bit hypocritical though, whilst Morecambe and Burton last year really went for it all teams do it it to an extent.

What it needs is an instruction from the FA or even FIFA. At the moment a referee will only caution for obvious timewasting.

Everyone does it. Some are more subtle than others. Morecambe were excessive because they started timewasting from the moment they scored, and that just makes for bad viewing.

Sadly, aside from not dealing with the time wasting I thought the ref had a pretty good game.

In terms of his decision making, he probably didn't do much wrong but I thought he was weak. Twice in the first half a Morecambe player kicked or threw the ball away and wasn't cautioned. He booked one player for time wasting but then let everyone else get away with it.

I don't like to see a card happy ref but I like seeing time wasting even less. I don't even like it when we do it.

Back