• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

But DtS is correct.

This season in the league he's not played for more than 27 mins in a single match. He's been limited to cameos and so strikers are great at coming of the bench and making a difference, and some aren't.

My feeling is that Barney has been pretty ***** in his second-coming, but also it's not fair to judge him given his limited time on the pitch. Brown doesn't rate him enough for a start, but if he was to get a bit of a run in the team then it could be a turning point.

I don't disagree because why sign him and not play him!

Makes no sense to me !

I don't disagree because why sign him and not play him!

Makes no sense to me !

It depends who signed him, and also we only had a limited idea of his physical fitness when arrived. Signing him on loan with a guaranteed contract was a mistake, he shouldn't be in this squad IMO but we're stuck with him.

It depends who signed him, and also we only had a limited idea of his physical fitness when arrived. Signing him on loan with a guaranteed contract was a mistake, he shouldn't be in this squad IMO but we're stuck with him.

Exactly my point !

Whoever signed him took one massive gamble which so far has backfired in spectacular fashion whilst his wages eat into an already tight budget or so we are often told.

He's been back since January 24th and in that time has completed just shy of 11 games...
I can remember only three starts (Oxford, Torquay, Walsall)
He needs to start more games

I'd probably fail to score in a brothel as well....can I start more games too please.

Last edited:
It's a very strange one. In his first spell he was quality, he's now at the age where he's supposed to be in his absolute prime, hasn't really had any career defining injuries and doesn't seem to be living up to expectations.

I've not seen a lot of Barnard since he rejoined but his appearance at the weekend looked just like the Barnard of old. Admittedly he didn't score but he was making the same runs off the shoulder (runs that Weston never makes despite his pace), and he was in general putting himself about and making a nuisance of himself as he used to. Watching him in the warmup he still seems to have a decent shot on him.

Ultimately it's a very strange one, and I know he hasn't delivered for a long time, but I can't help thinking with some people on his wave length slotting balls in for his on the shoulder runs he could be in the goals again. Personally I'd like to see him given more time, but I know many will think he's already had too much. I'm sure there's a good player in there, and he hasn't seemed to have lost any desire.

I'd like to see Barnard given more time, we all know we're crying out for a goalscorer.

I agree with most of this but blimey what warm up was you watching. I was in the South Upper and commented to my mate that Barny had not hit the target once during the whole time. He even missed the open goal after the GK had gone off the pitch!

We do not create the type of 'in the channel' passes that he or any other striker needs, so no matter who is up front they will find it difficult to score.

It breaks my heart to say it as I loved him with a passion during his first spell here but Barney looks like he is is never "going to get it back" and is all but finished at this level now.

I always think Barnard needs to start matches in order to be effective. I think coming off of the bench isn't his strongest asset.

I would rather see Barnard start as the striker than Weston whose being played out of position

I'm in agreement with Lenny on this.
I don't think Lee can do the super sub game changer role.
Against Morc (with hindsight etc) lee could have done 55/60 mins of rough stuff and then been replaced by some pace; none of the other front players in the game squad had venom/physical dark arts stuff in their "skills" against defenders who knew their way to deal with our young lads and a weak ref.
I don't see Lee as a starter for many games however on mud soaked slow pitches in dogshite weather maybe........
especially if Barry is unavailable.

Since Lee returned the maximum number of games available to him was 34,Incredibly he has been an unused sub on 11 occasions.

Bizarre signing considering he ain't cheap.

He has also been outperformed in every development/ reserve game by young Williams who despite that cant get on the pitch. Corr is effectively the only striker and he needs to be carefully handled because of his back etc. Urgently needed 2 strikers.

I'm afraid it should be thank you Lee and goodbye as he simply doesn't cut the mustard any more.

Just throwing it out there and not for one moment saying that Barney is anywhere near the player of old - BUT if he has the confidence shown in him, minutes on the pitch and chances presented to him that some of our other forward players have had, I wonder how many goals he would have scored. The forwards have not exactly set the world alight and had they scored a quarter of their chances we would be smashing this average standard league.

We can't hound a player for the sake of having a target to moan about and abuse - seems like we always need to have a scapegoat at this club and particularly on Shrimpermoan. The guy has played less than 90 minutes this season in total

Just throwing it out there and not for one moment saying that Barney is anywhere near the player of old - BUT if he has the confidence shown in him, minutes on the pitch and chances presented to him that some of our other forward players have had, I wonder how many goals he would have scored. The forwards have not exactly set the world alight and had they scored a quarter of their chances we would be smashing this average standard league.

We can't hound a player for the sake of having a target to moan about and abuse - seems like we always need to have a scapegoat at this club and particularly on Shrimpermoan. The guy has played less than 90 minutes this season in total

I don't think anyone is making him a scapegoat...he hasn't played enough to influence too many games positively or negatively. My opinion is that he's not good enough anymore and we'd benefit more long term (and hopefully short term too) from playing Williams or Layne. I'd rather play a poor performing youngster with room for improvement than a poor performing Lee Barnard who is not going to improve.
That's my opinion, I bear Lee no ill will and if he plays Saturday I sincerely hope he has a blinder and bangs in 6 goals, but my opinion is he isn't good enough and doesn't warrant a place in the team...that's what the discussion has been about hasn't it?

Eastwood deja vu

Not really...Eastwood did show he still had ability, skill, I'd even go as far as to say predatory instinct...He was just never fit enough to put those things to good use. Barnard seems to be the complete opposite..seems fit enough, but doesn't seem good enough anymore.

Both horrendously bad signings I agree, but for completely different reasons!

I don't think anyone is making him a scapegoat...he hasn't played enough to influence too many games positively or negatively. My opinion is that he's not good enough anymore and we'd benefit more long term (and hopefully short term too) from playing Williams or Layne. I'd rather play an poor performing youngster with room for improvement than an poor performing Lee Barnard who is not going to improve.
That's my opinion, I bear Lee no ill will and if he plays Saturday I sincerely hope he has a blinder and bangs in 6 goals, but my opinion is he isn't good enough and doesn't warrant a place in the team...that's what the discussion has been about hasn't it?

Sadly agree,

Out with the old and in with the new.

Williams has been playing very well in the reserves and if selected for the firsts will bust a gut to keep his place he just needs that chance.

We should bring back Ricketts for a second stint at the club. Best striker we have ever had.

He'd only make the bench. Mark Salter and Anto Flood have to start...any fool with any tactical nous would start them above Ricketts.

He'd only make the bench. Mark Salter and Anto Flood have to start...any fool with any tactical nous would start them above Ricketts.

I watched Flood in a few reserve games and he wasn't anywhere near as bad as the company you have put him with. He worked hard and put in a shift.
Did you ever see him play?

Well -- i couldnt disagree more with the sentiment of this thread. We were shocking on Saturday ( and our front 3 have been poor for most of the season ) ... But When Barnard came on he actually made loads of inteliigent runs off the ball , he linked play very well with the midfield , he moved their centre backs all over the place and generally upset them ... we looked way more dangerous with him on the field than the listless Weston. I would rather see Corr + Coolthirst up front together , but when Bazza's injured i want to see Barnard start.

Its easy for you lot to pick on a scapegoat like Barny coz his injuries have limited appearances and the sharpness wasnt quite 100%. But when he gets matchtime he is the man to bang in the goals for us. In fact i think Barnard + Coolthirst could be a very useful combination , with Barny's experience + knowledge being just what Shaq needs. Weston has been pitiful and should only be used as a sub left winger. You cant beat experience --- people mocked when i suggested 2 years ago we needed a Jamie Cureton type player , yet he's still banging in goals a plenty.

Give Barny a run of 3 or 4 matches as part of a front 2 ( not on the wing where he's been asked to play earlier this year ) & watch him return to the brilliant striker he is capable of being.

Well -- i couldnt disagree more with the sentiment of this thread. We were shocking on Saturday ( and our front 3 have been poor for most of the season ) ... But When Barnard came on he actually made loads of intelligent runs off the ball, he linked play very well with the midfield, he moved their centre backs all over the place and generally upset them ... we looked way more dangerous with him on the field than the listless Weston. I would rather see Corr + Coolthirst up front together, but when Bazza's injured i want to see Barnard start.

Its easy for you lot to pick on a scapegoat like Barny coz his injuries have limited appearances and the sharpness wasnt quite 100%. But when he gets matchtime he is the man to bang in the goals for us. In fact i think Barnard + Coolthirst could be a very useful combination , with Barny's experience + knowledge being just what Shaq needs. Weston has been pitiful and should only be used as a sub left winger. You cant beat experience --- people mocked when i suggested 2 years ago we needed a Jamie Cureton type player , yet he's still banging in goals a plenty.

Give Barny a run of 3 or 4 matches as part of a front 2 ( not on the wing where he's been asked to play earlier this year ) & watch him return to the brilliant striker he is capable of being.
This .

Back