• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Euro 2016 qualifiers

Barna, I think you should give England a little bit of credit for once. Hodgson has done everything asked of him this last year and looking at the way major nations in Europe have stumbled through qualification for the Euros our easy progress is an achievement in itself.

Beefy,I'm a huge Woy fan.Just don't think he's got all that much to work with really.

There's not much to work with across the board though. England are no different in that. Germany and maybe Spain aside there is really not much out there. Belgium are supposedly the best team in Europe and they're frightening mediocre.

There's not much to work with across the board though. England are no different in that. Germany and maybe Spain aside there is really not much out there. Belgium are supposedly the best team in Europe and they're frightening mediocre.

We do have a lot of players out injured at the moment too. Second and third choice goalies, Sturridge, Welbeck, almost certainly Carroll (I haven't checked, but it is a fair assumption), Wilshere (same), Henderson, etc...

Barna, I think you should give England a little bit of credit for once. Hodgson has done everything asked of him this last year and looking at the way major nations in Europe have stumbled through qualification for the Euros our easy progress is an achievement in itself.

I tell you what is most likely to happen. The Netherlands will eventually finish third in their group, and will win their play off match, and qualify for next summer.

Because they only qualified through the play offs, they will be a low ranked country in the draw, and will create a group of death, that will also include England, and Wales.

We're doomed I tell ya!

I tell you what is most likely to happen. The Netherlands will eventually finish third in their group, and will win their play off match, and qualify for next summer.

Because they only qualified through the play offs, they will be a low ranked country in the draw, and will create a group of death, that will also include England, and Wales.

We're doomed I tell ya!

Is that how it works, or would it based on their world ranking at the time the draw is made? Obviously, more results like losing 3-0 to Turkey and they'll be below Gibraltar before you know it...

Turkey need four points from games home to Czech and away to Iceland to make sure the Dutch don't qualify. Could be interesting!

It is based on the Uefa coefficient which will be worked out in November when qualification finishes. It does take into account how qualification went so if the Dutch do limp over the line they will be lower than they would have been two years ago, that said they should have plenty of points in the bank from their previous successes I'd have thought.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_coefficient#National_team_coefficient

Handy guide to how things stand right now

Crazy that former winners Greece are out but the Faroe Islands(!) are still in with a shout.

Ok, the goals against column is a little bit worse, but Gibraltar now have scored as many times in this campaign as Greece!

Massive late goal for Northern Ireland, qualification still well within their grasp.

I was flicking between the Scotland and both Ireland matches.

IIRC there were 8 goals. I managed to miss 7 of them!

Scotland only need 4 points from two games too,don't they?

Depends. If Ireland get a win from either of their games then Scotland can't qualify no matter what they do.

Four points will do Scotland if Ireland lose both matches. I'd say Scotland are marginal favourites purely as Ireland haven't beaten anyone above them in the rankings in years.

2-0 final score, England v Switzerland. Although Mr Rooney became the all time highest scorer for England, they didn't really excite me tonight apart from, maybe, Luke Shaw and Harry Kane when he came on. Thoughts?

I thought England were dire in an attacking sense. Shelvey was marked out of the game and Milner and Barkley just aren't able to provide a stable midfield which can support both Sterling and Chamberlain.

Sterling was extremely wasteful but also provide the only moments of quality for most of the game. He dived for Rooney's pen, which is the cherry on top for the 'record' - a pen from a dive for what should have been a pretty special moment.

Shaw played well and his cut back was decent. A very well taken goal from Kane (made a hard finish look very easy).

Clyne is a concern because he seems to have all of the attributes and skill but it doesn't quite work for England down the right.

Overall, it felt like a classic England game. All huff and puff but against a team we should have been punishing with good and positive attacking play, instead it felt laboured. Once Kane was on we then had targets in the box and Rooney was released from some of the burden of leading the line. 433 is only going to work if the midfield 3 have the quality to support and find Chamberlain, Rooney and Sterling. If not, a flat 442 may be more productive.

2-0 final score, England v Switzerland. Although Mr Rooney became the all time highest scorer for England, they didn't really excite me tonight apart from, maybe, Luke Shaw and Harry Kane when he came on. Thoughts?

Very poor game, we looked really quite mediocre and still got what looks like a pretty good result. I was strongly opposed to Woy staying on after the shambolic World Cup, but this England team does keep winning. Eight games, eight wins, group won. No drama, no bother. Let's see what we can do in France next year.

I thought Chris Smalling was fantastic last night. Before this season I cringed whenever I saw his name on a teamsheet but his form for Man U and England this season has been very impressive.

I thought England were dire in an attacking sense. Shelvey was marked out of the game and Milner and Barkley just aren't able to provide a stable midfield which can support both Sterling and Chamberlain.

Sterling was extremely wasteful but also provide the only moments of quality for most of the game. He dived for Rooney's pen, which is the cherry on top for the 'record' - a pen from a dive for what should have been a pretty special moment.

Shaw played well and his cut back was decent. A very well taken goal from Kane (made a hard finish look very easy).

Clyne is a concern because he seems to have all of the attributes and skill but it doesn't quite work for England down the right.

Overall, it felt like a classic England game. All huff and puff but against a team we should have been punishing with good and positive attacking play, instead it felt laboured. Once Kane was on we then had targets in the box and Rooney was released from some of the burden of leading the line. 433 is only going to work if the midfield 3 have the quality to support and find Chamberlain, Rooney and Sterling. If not, a flat 442 may be more productive.

Completely agree. It wasn't much of a game, and we made hard work of it. The good news, though, is that we're guaranteed top spot in the group so Roy has time to experiment in competitive matches should he wish to.

We've also only conceded three goals in 8 matches which is pretty good.

Very poor game, we looked really quite mediocre and still got what looks like a pretty good result. I was strongly opposed to Woy staying on after the shambolic World Cup, but this England team does keep winning. Eight games, eight wins, group won. No drama, no bother. Let's see what we can do in France next year.

I still think this team is a WIP. I'm actually not expecting much in the summer, but the world cup after that is a different matter.

Back