• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ched Evans?

• Yes

Votes: 158 35.3%
  • No

Votes: 252 56.4%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 37 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's wrong to use the argument that he may not have done it. We can only use the information that we have, and that information is that he was found guilty of rape. Yes, he may be able to overturn the ruling (but he may not), but until that happens, he is still guilty or rape.

Also, he hasn't actually served his sentance! He is out on licence (commonly referred to as probation)
If you were sentenced to more than 12 months in prison, you may be released early on licence. (You will also have a licence if you're out of prison on a home detention curfew/on a tag). Being on licence means that you are still serving a prison sentence but you can live in the community instead of being in prison. Whilst you are on licence, there are rules you must follow. How long these rules apply for depends on the length of your sentence. If you break the rules, you'll have to go back to prison (be recalled).

So nope I wouldn't want him here :nope:

I voted yes as i think he would do a good job at league two level. He is a goalscorer which is what we need. As for morals, im not sure the word moral and the words professional footballer belong in the same sentence.

Look at Gerrard a few years back, there was a clear cctv recording of him punching some lad in a bar, yet not only did he get let off with it, he went on to captain England.... not very moral to me

Pfft. It's not remotely the same.

I never said they were.

Rightly or wrongly, footballers are role-models and influential when it comes to young (and older) fans. With great power (footballing-wise) comes great responsibility. If you commit a heinous crime then it could be argued (and I'm genuinely not sure where I stand) that you're not fit for such a public role due to the influence they hold.

Yet he still think's he the innocent party and has shown no remorse.

But as others have said, if he didnt actually committ the crime, in his eyes he is innocent, so why would he show remorse. If he does then he is admitting to the crime. Always think rape is probably one of the most hardest crimes to prove or not.

Not a chance - people saying he has served his time are obviously raging liberals who believe that all is well with the justice system in this Country. If you get 5 years, you should serve 5 years, not 2. Imho, he has written off his chance to lead a privileged lifestyle in football.

To all the "Yes" people.......and what if she were your daughter? Would you still want him here? She is someone's daughter. The ongoing attack on the girl is abhorrent. Some disturbing arguments being made from the "yes". Maybe says something about how women (even in a drunk state) are viewed. There should be a sex register that he should be on......or is he on it already now? Just saying......

Yet he still think's he the innocent party and has shown no remorse.

But as others have said, if he didnt actually committ the crime, in his eyes he is innocent, so why would he show remorse. If he does then he is admitting to the crime. Always think rape is probably one of the most hardest crimes to prove or not.

To all the "Yes" people.......and what if she were your daughter? Would you still want him here? She is someone's daughter. The ongoing attack on the girl is abhorrent. Some disturbing arguments being made from the "yes". Maybe says something about how women (even in a drunk state) are viewed. There should be a sex register that he should be on......or is he on it already now? Just saying......

He's on the sex offenders register for an indefinite period of time.

You cant answer that unless is has happened, which for me it hasnt thank god. What about PB and his mistress? What if that was your wife? would you still want him here?

It would be a case of voting with your feet. He's legally entitled to work but it would send a horrible message if he was seen on a football pitch again. As others have said, there's little morality left in football. In fact, there's an awful lot to dislike about the professional game. It would be a tipping point for me and I wouldn't go to matches. Rape is in a different category to other crimes in my book.

This licence thing...if he carries on refusing to show remorse and (if it's the case) badmouthing his victim, surely he'll end up serving the rest of his sentence.

Yeah I often used to sneak out of hotel rooms by the fire escape after I did the deed. :facepalm:

The woman may have wanted too..... :smile:

He scored 30 goals in a higher division the season before he got sent down and Sheffield United are interested in signing him again. Why the hell would he come here.

In a word no! He may be a good footballer but the way he has acted over the whole case and subsequently shows me what sort of personality he has. Irrespective of whether he thinks he is innocent or not there are ways and means of doing things the right way and not how he is behaving now.
I noticed somebody mentioned McCormick earlier in the thread. When it was mooted that we were interested in signing him I actually voted yes. The reason for this is you could see he was genuinely remorseful and openly admitted he made a mistake.

ps we've played loads of convicted criminals - most recently Ryan Hall. But we're hypocrites, releasing Jemal Johnson for instance.

I can't legitimately say I would welcome the move but he's served his time.
Don't think you can compare affray to raping someone. I personally wouldn't like to see him here as it would tarnish the reputation of the club.

Exactly, he believes he is innocent. He was also way too good for L2 so if he were to start to rebuild his life and career here I think it would be very good business for us provided none of our players had a problem with it.

Maybe says something about how women (even in a drunk state) are viewed.

Agree with your post in general, but just wanted to comment on this particular part. Young girls these days certainly aren't angels, especially when drunk. I see it regularly & IMO they're totally out of control. Whether that be a product of society or bad parenting, times have changed & young girls are far worse than men these days. I'm in no way saying women deserve anything bad to happen, especially something as inhumane as rape. But at some point these girls need to take responsibility for their own actions and well-being, the same as anyone else

I've seen girls in pubs, banging away the wine & shots like its going out if date. of course, come closing time, theyre basically passed out, incoherent & totally spaced. They've put themselves in the most dangerous & quite frankly, frightening situation. There just seems to be a lack of self control these days.

He scored 30 goals in a higher division the season before he got sent down and Sheffield United are interested in signing him again. Why the hell would he come here.

Its just a hypothetical question to stir debate. It's topical because he's just been released & relevant because we're looking for a striker

He's going to do a video soon apparently. I think depending on what he says in that will show if he's going to play professionally again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back