• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ched Evans?

• Yes

Votes: 158 35.3%
  • No

Votes: 252 56.4%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 37 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
For the yessers - would you still be happy to have him seeing as ~50% of our fanbase (on SZ at least) have indicated they wouldn't accept him?

If he showed even an ounce of remorse and contrition then maybe. But at this moment in time, no. Either way, I can't really imagine cheering him on.

I know he was convited by law and is guilty, but what if he actually didn't rape her? Why would he show remorse for something he didn't do?

I would have him here tomorrow

Not sure. If we signed him then I'd probably be more pleased than angry/disappointed.

One negative, apart from the obvious, is that it seems that he and his family are dragging it on by pleading his innocence. Think it would be better if he just put it in the past and got on with it rather than keep bringing it up. He has served his time so there is no need to IMO. Sure he would want to "clear his name", but people will still remember him for it even if he did prove his innocence.

I know he was convited by law and is guilty, but what if he actually didn't rape her? Why would he show remorse for something he didn't do?

I would have him here tomorrow

I think his actions weren't particularly great, irrespective of whether he raped her or not.

He had/has a girlfriend, he snuck into and out of a hotel to have sex with a young drunk woman who he'd never met, and took part in trying to film people having sex. None of those things are necessarily illegal (except the filming bit maybe), but they're all morally dubious and again, IMO not really aligned with our growing reputation as a family club.

He's continuing a smear campaign against the victim online, which is awful, irrespective of whether he wants to continue to protest his innocence (which he is perfectly entitled to do).

No way. We would be known as Rapist Rehabilitors FC! And we'd lose support too. What a way to treat the fans who would be opposed to Ched Evans. About time the PFA grew a pair and behaved like other professional bodies with a moral code of conduct. Hope there would be pitch invasions and demonstrations at any club he would seek to play for. I wouldn't go anymore if Ched played for us and nor would my wife. It's also not about whether he did it or not. He carries a message with him now about rape and should fade away into normal life. He had his chance and blew it. Let someone else take his place who is a credit to human decency.

No way. He imo would end up being a millstone around Southends neck, as we travelled to away games.

No way. We would be known as Rapist Rehabilitors FC! And we'd lose support too. What a way to treat the fans who would be opposed to Ched Evans. About time the PFA grew a pair and behaved like other professional bodies with a moral code of conduct. Hope there would be pitch invasions and demonstrations at any club he would seek to play for. I wouldn't go anymore if Ched played for us and nor would my wife. It's also not about whether he did it or not. He carries a message with him now about rape and should fade away into normal life. He had his chance and blew it. Let someone else take his place who is a credit to human decency.

What could the PFA do? they don't have powers above the crown court where he was sentenced. In the laws eyes when he has served his time he's entitled to continue work as he did before, the PFA would be breaking the law if they tried to ban him.

I think his actions weren't particularly great, irrespective of whether he raped her or not.

He had/has a girlfriend, he snuck into and out of a hotel to have sex with a young drunk woman who he'd never met, and took part in trying to film people having sex.

Didn't Lampard, Ferdinand, Cole do something similar? They must have better PR agents.

ps we've played loads of convicted criminals - most recently Ryan Hall. But we're hypocrites, releasing Jemal Johnson for instance.

I can't legitimately say I would welcome the move but he's served his time.

I voted no, but I'm looking at it from a very black & white viewpoint. Anyone guilty of that type of crime, deserves permanent exclusion from society IMO, never mind something as privaledged as pro football. But as i said that's from a black & white viewpoint.

Taking into account grey areas, I'm not sure & would probably be indifferent. Say for example, (and bare with me here) in a crazy, purely hypothetical, turn of events, Mike Tyson decided to try his hand at football & wanted desperately to sign for us. Technically he's in the same boat as Evans, so in theory, I should despise the idea. But with Tyson, I believe he was stitched up & whilst guilty of a lot of things, is not guilty of what he was convicted of. This makes it a grey area, for me. That's just my opinion though.

What could the PFA do? they don't have powers above the crown court where he was sentenced. In the laws eyes when he has served his time he's entitled to continue work as he did before, the PFA would be breaking the law if they tried to ban him.

I guess The FA could apply (not sure who too, parliament?) to request that sex offenders have 'banned from playing football' as a requirement of their sex offenders order. These are commonly done (i.e. child sex offenders can't work with children).

I guess The FA could apply (not sure who too, parliament?) to request that sex offenders have 'banned from playing football' as a requirement of their sex offenders order. These are commonly done (i.e. child sex offenders can't work with children).

Pfft. It's not remotely the same.

I don't think they'd attempt anything like this after discussion with legal experts and government certainly wouldn't create new legislation as on appeal it would be overturned by the European court of human rights

Yes I wouldn't even think twice before signing him.

The bloke as a footballer is a class act and would help us out of this league.

He made a mistake and has served his time for it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back