• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

That is the point I'm trying to make, but this poster on the site didn't understand me, make changes and when the team needs it but at the same time the team played better than the crap at Luton so at least stick to this line up for the next game, otherwise the player will have no confuidence in their own abilities or the Managers

Yes, PB could stay with the same line-up but with that eleven taking the field regularly we can forget about promotion. Most promoted teams score at least 65 goals in the season. We have 13 so far and would need over 50 goals from the remaining games. Does anyone seriously believe that line up is capable of scoring 50 between them. Atkinson, Timlin, Worral, Deegan, Prosser and Thompson would probably not get 10 between the lot of them! Surely Brown can see problems like this.

Deegan has to be the first name from midfield, Worrel and Atkinson did ok so not sure who he will drop if anyone

Yep he has been the find of the season so far for me.

Worrell played well out wide so I would stick with him, and thought Atkinson played well first half too, but if I were to bring in Leonard (and not sure I would) it would probably be for him.

Yes, PB could stay with the same line-up but with that eleven taking the field regularly we can forget about promotion. Most promoted teams score at least 65 goals in the season. We have 13 so far and would need over 50 goals from the remaining games. Does anyone seriously believe that line up is capable of scoring 50 between them. Atkinson, Timlin, Worral, Deegan, Prosser and Thompson would probably not get 10 between the lot of them! Surely Brown can see problems like this.

How can you say that when its the first game they have played? You cant judge them on results prior to Saturday as they werent playing.

First half was the best I have seen us play in a long time, so it has potential.

How do you know this for sure, if the team played well and in the first have that was evident that it was 100% better than what was served up at Luton for the whole 90 minutes, and some of those players are dropped for the next game as a player you would ask questions as to 'why' I got dropped , look at Barnard, came off the pitch to a great ovation from the fans and yet there is a risk of him being dropped so his confidence may be affected

How can you start your post with that when he clearly said 'I doubt whether......'

How can you start your post with that when he clearly said 'I doubt whether......'

I'll start MY post with what ever I like thank you as it is MY post.....not too worried what you have to say to be honest

So what is your answer then, you quote that they can't score the goals so who are the goal scoring machines that we have missed that are left on the side lines......

I'll start MY post with what ever I like thank you as it is MY post.....not too worried what you have to say to be honest

Just pointing out the glaring inaccuracy in your comment and was not intended to offend you.
I apologise.

Just pointing out the glaring inaccuracy in your comment and was not intended to offend you.
I apologise.

No Need to apologise it's not that bad, I just don't understand why you felt that you had to try and belittle me and make me look like a fool (I can do that for myself Thank you very much), there is no need for that but you obviosly felt that was the correct thing to do, so it was a glaring inaccuracy in my comment....who gives two fcks about that you appear to be the only one that was even bothered by it, so I guess it must have been worth mentioning.....oh well never mind move on

I would like to see the same line-up start the next match. I would also like to see Payne play further forward. I know he is a mid but i believe many of his best attributes would serve well high in attack, in the box, fed by Barnard. Payne reads play quite well and has an initial burst of speed that would beat defenders or draw fouls, so do that in the penalty area. He also seems to know where the net is. We may have a top scorer right under our nose. Worth a try.

No Need to apologise it's not that bad, I just don't understand why you felt that you had to try and belittle me and make me look like a fool (I can do that for myself Thank you very much), there is no need for that but you obviosly felt that was the correct thing to do, so it was a glaring inaccuracy in my comment....who gives two fcks about that you appear to be the only one that was even bothered by it, so I guess it must have been worth mentioning.....oh well never mind move on

It's a forum for making comments and debate so wind your neck in.................
just to be clear , the apology was tongue in cheek.

I can second that :winking:

wind your neck in.....you sad little ****, how about we carry on out little chat on Saturday Turdboy

Happy to carry on debating with you on this forum.
Happy for you to disagree with me and don't mind any amount of banter.
However , I don't accept the unwarranted threats of violence in your red rep comment.
No need for that at all.

Much, much better. The overdue return of Leonard and in particular Timlin really helped us as we actually played with some intent and purpose. There was a crispness to the passing, there was ambition, there was even a touch of pace at times. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't perfect, but it was a substantial improvement on the dross served up in recent weeks and was actually watchable!

The first half was even entertaining. Timlin was key to this. He was taking one touch whereas others had been taking two or three touches before going sideways. Our goal was just one example of a move that was basically initiated by a Timlin first time pass. He clearly tired though and should have been taken off earlier but first half his early passing pushed us forward and provided a tempo missing earlier this season when we were stuck with Clifford in the middle instead of the Timlin and/or Laird from last season.

Defensively we were a mess. Deegan was pushed much further up the pitch which left a huge hole in front of the defence where in recent weeks he'd been sitting. It created an open first half. Despite the lead Exeter opened us up on several occasions and we were perhaps fortunate to go in ahead despite finally playing enterprising football. For such a defensive manager it was a little surprising to see us with only one up front yet so open at the back.

Worrell, finally given his full league debut nearly three months into the season, looked every bit as sharp as he has done on pretty much all of his cameo appearances. He took his goal well but the most pleasing thing was to actually see a Southend shirt in the box. Worrell's first instinct is to go forwards not sideways and he gives us some directness. It won't always come off, but it will never come off if you don't try. More of the same please.

Payne offered little, Atkinson looked more threatening when out wide. He seems to struggle to see 360 degrees and seems to benefit from only having to look 180 degrees when on the touchline.

Second half Tisdale made the adjustments and Exeter were the better team. Bentley was the busier keeper and we were holding on at the end. Thompson after an excellent September has been pretty iffy this month and looked at fault again. He has the Mickey Bodley hunch although fortunately not his distribution. Again our subs weakened us rather than improved us.

My ratings
Bentley 7
Leonard 7
Williams 6
Prosser 6.5
Thompson 5
Worrell 7
Timlin 8
Deegan 6.5
Atkinson 6.5
Payne 4
Barnard 6

Most of the relevant points concerning the game yesterday have been made. However one issue is causing me some worry. Listening the Essex radio Phil Brown has on more than one occasion stated that he does not know what is going wrong when our display goes from very good to very bad during a 15 minute break. So what does happen in the two dressing rooms at this time. Is one set of management taking positive step to rectify and improve any performances whilst the other appears to do very little to adapt to any possible changes in the opponents set up. Mr Brown gives the impression he is a master tactician, but on what I have seen home and away I have grave doubts on his ability to change anything in order to combat the tactics of the opposing manager

What happens is the opposition manager makes adjustments at half-time and we can't adjust to their adjustments. Tactically we were spoilt by the previous incumbent repeatedly coming off better in his chess matches. I can't remember the last time subs improved us (I wasn't at Luton) - other than Corr, who should be starting anyway.

Some people do make me laugh on this site, chill out a bit people it's only football eh:winking:

So once again we have someone being threatened with violence on SZ, I see the comment has now been deleted but I sincerely hope the mods will deal with this in the strongest possible way. Personally I don't care if people want to have a pop at me across a keyboard because chances are if fronted out in real life their little dick would shrivel up they would **** their pants, however for some it is upsetting and puts people off using SZ. The poster on the receiving end did not deserve that at all. Rant over..........

Trouble is Dannypav apologised then said the apology was tongue in cheek...it's provocation and the kind of provocation the mods ignore

So what is your answer then, you quote that they can't score the goals so who are the goal scoring machines that we have missed that are left on the side lines......

Corr and Coulthurst have good goalscoring records, Clifford, Payne and Leonard in midfield can score. The point I am making is that PB has produced a squad that doesn't have goals in it. Successful teams, including ourselves in past seasons, have midfielders that score 8 to 10 a season and Centre backs who find the net from set pieces. Saturday's line-up does not have enough of this type of player in it, the stats for each player will confirm this. Sadly, with this current squad we do not have too many options, maybe one or two loanees would help.

Corr and Coulthurst have good goalscoring records, Clifford, Payne and Leonard in midfield can score. The point I am making is that PB has produced a squad that doesn't have goals in it. Successful teams, including ourselves in past seasons, have midfielders that score 8 to 10 a season and Centre backs who find the net from set pieces. Saturday's line-up does not have enough of this type of player in it, the stats for each player will confirm this. Sadly, with this current squad we do not have too many options, maybe one or two loanees would help.

Good point and yes the answer might be a couple of loan players but finding a descent striker is like finding hens teeth for us, and I hope there is a chance this will happen soon otherwise it will be too little too late, but yes I agree about the midfield situation but then again Hurst has gone off the boil and Lenny has struggle before his injury as well so this has not helped at all

As I said , I am happy to debate with you all day.
I am also wiling to 'genuinely' apologise if my comment was provactive to you.
I can honestly say that I was not trying to provoke , but just making a point.
I can see though that to may have taken it that way.
So once again sorry for any offence.
Hope you will also apologise for the PM which I found really upsetting.
Let's leave it there.

genuinely apologise .....yes like last time eh......wind my neck it, sounds like you wanted to have a bit of dig on here well sometimes in life not everyone will take things that are said the right or wrong way and it gets lost in translation. I will apologise for the PM and as you say lets leave it there and move on

I would like to see the same line-up start the next match. I would also like to see Payne play further forward. I know he is a mid but i believe many of his best attributes would serve well high in attack, in the box, fed by Barnard. Payne reads play quite well and has an initial burst of speed that would beat defenders or draw fouls, so do that in the penalty area. He also seems to know where the net is. We may have a top scorer right under our nose. Worth a try.

He cant play much further forward than he was on Saturday or he would be a striker, he was always well advanced of the other two midfielders and constantly in the box already.

He needs to show he can be effective in his natural position first, if you stick him up front I dont see him getting enough of the ball to do that.

Back