• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Change the lot
3 5 2
Bolger prosser as CBs with thompson as sweeper.
williams and lenny as wingbacks (or white when fit) meaning three in the middle thus accommodating payne and have two up top.

We've tried this before though and it wasn't too successful. LVG tried this with Manchester United at the start of the season and results didn't pick up until he went back to a variation of 4-4-2. It's an extremely difficult formation to get right.

Personally, I think we should go back to 4-4-2, Worrall on the right and Timlin on the left. Always preferred Timlin playing left mid and that's always where he was most creative under Sturrock.

Indeed a proper wing back system needs the right players but can be effective.

Whoever plays in that position will still need to deal with two players on their flank and we will lose an attacking player on both wings ourselves.

Just dont see how that helps. We have an extra striker but no one out wide to deliver it.

With 2 strikers in the old fashioned 4-4-2, you'd always had the target man and the poacher. The target man wasn't necessarily a 6ft 4 beanpole who just won headers, but someone who can also can run in behind and across the line freeing up space for his partner. A lot of people have mentioned the goat and Freddy. For me, Eastwoods best partnership was with Wayne Gray. He did all the running, dragging defenders out of position leaving Freddy so much space and also contributed 10-15 goals a season .When I saw Weston at Accrington, this is exactly what I thought we had, he played just like Gray freeing up space. The problem that day though was with Barry Corr. Not his fault really, but having learnt a new role in playing upfront solo last season, he was and is still coming far too deep to get the ball and not attacking the space in the penalty area left behind. When he was upfront with Sturrock in his first season he was always in the box as Sturrock was playing the link up role, and he scored lots of goals. Thats what we need whether we are playing 4-4-2 or any other formation, someone to attack the space we definitely do create in the box and play on the last line of the defence. I honestly think all our forward thinking players are totally confused in their roles, and with the introduction of Payne, who is an attacking midfielder this has further complicated things.

I was brought up in Billy Best Bill Garner erea with a center forward two inside men and two out and out wingers feeding them. Over the years the front men have been sacrificed one by one to add another defender or bolster up the middle of the park until we are left with this bloody awful diamond thing that seems to be the vogue now, where we only have the one out and out striker. I've always wondered how long it would be before some bright spark did away with him as well...and load and behold its our very own PB who for some games played Weston who by no stretch of the imagination is a center forward... on his own. The supporters turn up to see goal action and the tacticians are ruining our game, whether it be in a sincere belief that they are making our wonderful game more entertaining ...which it is not..or in fear of loosing.... and in turn their jobs. I fear the latter.

sometimes we can over-analyse and overthink. What PB needs to do is play his best 11 players and then results will come because we do have a good squad for this league. Systems are flexible when players know their strengths and can adapt mid-game.
For me the top 11 is Bentley/ White Prosser Bolger Coker/ Worral Leonard Deegan Timlin/ Corr Weston/
but he can't play this as Coker is injured and Bolger, Lennie and Weston are out of form, also Timlin is just back from injury.
Hurst would be challenging Worral and number one but he hasn't played well for 6 months. Barney and Coulthirst offer alternatives to Corr and Weston, if playing well.
Payne is an effective sub and in 12 months will have the stamina to start and influence games on a regular basis. Atkinson offers good back up to Deegan/Leonard/Timlin. Binnom-Williams has been good as cover for Coker but he isn't Coker.
Thompson and Mads provide excellent CB cover for our level (and I would like to see Mads given a chance in a game to assess how good he really is)

So because of form and injury PB is having to try different systems to accommodate players (and because we all called for Payne to be playing!)

I was brought up in Billy Best Bill Garner erea with a center forward two inside men and two out and out wingers feeding them. Over the years the front men have been sacrificed one by one to add another defender or bolster up the middle of the park until we are left with this bloody awful diamond thing that seems to be the vogue now, where we only have the one out and out striker. I've always wondered how long it would be before some bright spark did away with him as well...and load and behold its our very own PB who for some games played Weston who by no stretch of the imagination is a center forward... on his own. The supporters turn up to see goal action and the tacticians are ruining our game, whether it be in a sincere belief that they are making our wonderful game more entertaining ...which it is not..or in fear of loosing.... and in turn their jobs. I fear the latter.

I'm from a different generation to you (sorry if that makes you feel old!), but the "diamond" has been around for a while even if the formation looked like a flat 4-4-2.

There are 2 teams I can remember growing up watching, Arsenal and Man U. Both of them had 2 central midfielders, with one being more defensive and another more attacking. Both had out and out wingers too with full-backs who would overlap them.

After seeing Barnard play on Saturday, I think he would have done better with Corr next to him. Corr came on and won everything played up to him, while Barnard tried and won somethings he got frustrated with being pushed around by the defender.

If we play 4-4-2, then the problem is who to play in the middle and getting the mix right.

For example, Deegan and Payne are different types of players with Deegan more defensive playing his best when he is in the opponent's face and Payne more attacking playing his best when he is given the freedom to float behind the strikers, picking a pass or dribbling through. That is a possibility.

Another example is Leonard and Payne, while Leonard is good defensively and works hard in that area, I firmly believe he is at his best when running at the opposition at full speed with the ball at his feet. However, Leonard can not do this with Payne already in that attacking position and we could be counter-attacked very easily with 2 out and out wingers, 2 supporting full-backs and 2 attacking midfielders.

Personally, I'd pick this for Tuesday:
Bentley
Leonard Thompson Prosser Williams
Deegan
Worrall .............Atkinson
Payne
Barnard Corr

Subs: Smith, Bolger, Timlin, Clifford, Hurst, Weston, Coulthirst

As an extra thought, I reckon Coulthirst could possibly play on the wing or even behind the strikers like Payne is above. When he does run at defenders, he causes them problems.

You are right and think this is one of the problems Brown has.
There has been a big cry to Payne to start as he is seen as potentially our most creative player.
I think this is true , but still think as it's his first season it's a big ask to make him the saviour.
The boy is still learning his trade , so needs time.
But , as you say , he does not fit as a striker and may be seen as a liability in central midfield if we play 4-4-2.
Tough one for Brown , but that's his job I guess to make these calls.

Turdboy has turned in to a manager......still learning his trade, look Harry Rednapp has turned up on the Forum......

Chapperz, I'd have John White back in like a shot! I'm sure the dead leg must be recovered for this.

Turdboy has turned in to a manager......still learning his trade, look Harry Rednapp has turned up on the Forum......

I think I understand the Rednapp bit, but not a clue what the first part of your post is about, care to pad it out a bit?

Chapperz, I'd have John White back in like a shot! I'm sure the dead leg must be recovered for this.

Same, but Brown said he didn't know how long he would be out for so wouldn't risk him if he isn't ready.

will Bentley be fit left the ground sat with a brace on his knee by all accounts . And chris phillips says we maybe missing a vital member of the first team .????

Back