• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

coleman123

Surely its about time the club steps up and offers this lad a longer term deal, he's been there or thereabout's for MOTM in pretty much every game he has played for us.

If not he will be stolen by another club and there's nothing we can do about it. (Although he cant play until Jan for them)

He deserves a good deal, incentivised to keep him hungry.

Thoughts?

Surely its about time the club steps up and offers this lad a longer term deal, he's been there or thereabout's for MOTM in pretty much every game he has played for us.

If not he will be stolen by another club and there's nothing we can do about it. (Although he cant play until Jan for them)

He deserves a good deal, incentivised to keep him hungry.

Thoughts?

1st post, is this Gary Deegan? :winking:

Im sure i read somewhere else that the biggest problem with Deegan is that he performs well on loan or on trail, but then goes down hill once he has the contract signed. If this is true then you would assume that PB would be aware of this. I agree that he has played very well, although his game is limited. Would prefer a centre midfield of Lenny and Timlin, and then make the rest up with Clifford, Payne, Atkinson, Hurst and Worrell. Not sure there is room for another midfielder. Would rather spend the wages on a new striker somehow.

Im sure i read somewhere else that the biggest problem with Deegan is that he performs well on loan or on trail, but then goes down hill once he has the contract signed. If this is true then you would assume that PB would be aware of this. I agree that he has played very well, although his game is limited. Would prefer a centre midfield of Lenny and Timlin, and then make the rest up with Clifford, Payne, Atkinson, Hurst and Worrell. Not sure there is room for another midfielder. Would rather spend the wages on a new striker somehow.

I tend to agree.
As well as Deegan has played ( although less effective than recent games IMO ) , I wonder if Brown has been biding his time for Timlin to return.
Once White is fit , he needs to find room for quite a few central midfield players.

Deegan offers something different to the other midfielders, it's a no brainer, we need that steel in CM and he must be signed permanently.

Deegan offers something different to the other midfielders, it's a no brainer, we need that steel in CM and he must be signed permanently.

Indeed.

What Deegan does he does better than any of the other midfielders, Id put him in before any of the others as his role is different to any of the others and its his defensive ability that allows Payne to play so far forward.

No, I disagree with the second part of your comment. I agree he is different to what we have, no-one else has thighs like his! He's a bulldog in the middle, whereas Tims and Clifford are more terrier like.

I too am of the opinion that he's been kept on to allow Tims to recover and regain match fitness.

No, I disagree with the second part of your comment. I agree he is different to what we have, no-one else has thighs like his! He's a bulldog in the middle, whereas Tims and Clifford are more terrier like.

I too am of the opinion that he's been kept on to allow Tims to recover and regain match fitness.

Please refrain from blatant sexism.

They are professional sportsmen and athletes and not pieces of meat. (Jessica Ennis on the other hand...)

Please refrain from blatant sexism.

They are professional sportsmen and athletes and not pieces of meat. (Jessica Ennis on the other hand...)

Lol, I miss the days of admiring Darryl Flahavan's bottom! :blush:

A 'must' signing. In order for any team to play, it needs an enforcer sweeping up, challenging, hassling, tackling, BULLYING and picking up those loose.pieces. From the last two home matches, he is all the above. Forgetting one comedy ball against Exeter, he can actually play himself too. First outfield player on the team sheet for me. Good point made about trials, loans and contracts but maybe he's just found his club...

A 'must' signing. In order for any team to play, it needs an enforcer sweeping up, challenging, hassling, tackling, BULLYING and picking up those loose.pieces. From the last two home matches, he is all the above. Forgetting one comedy ball against Exeter, he can actually play himself too. First outfield player on the team sheet for me. Good point made about trials, loans and contracts but maybe he's just found his club...

I’ve had a lot of time for what you have said on the forum so far but I don’t agree with this one. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not dismissing the signing of Deegan but I certainly don’t see it as a “no brainer”. I disagree you need an enforcer or someone nasty in the team, I think you need tenacity and a ball winner and this can be in many moulds. You can have a Deegan who is an enforcer and can be a bit nasty. You can have an Anthony Grant type player who would be all over the place winning balls and winding players up drawing fouls left right and centre, a different kind of tenacity. You can also have a Timlin who is a more balanced player who offers more than Deegan but has an effect on the whole midfield, in the coming weeks see how we play with Timlin in the side, see how he drives the midfield and how much more a team we look. We have better footballers than Deegan at the club I think Atkinson, Clifford, Leonard and Payne (potentially) offer more. Deegan is a decent player but now Tims is nearly fit, I’d question whether another CM is the best use of our budget.

I’ve had a lot of time for what you have said on the forum so far but I don’t agree with this one. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not dismissing the signing of Deegan but I certainly don’t see it as a “no brainer”. I disagree you need an enforcer or someone nasty in the team, I think you need tenacity and a ball winner and this can be in many moulds. You can have a Deegan who is an enforcer and can be a bit nasty. You can have an Anthony Grant type player who would be all over the place winning balls and winding players up drawing fouls left right and centre, a different kind of tenacity. You can also have a Timlin who is a more balanced player who offers more than Deegan but has an effect on the whole midfield, in the coming weeks see how we play with Timlin in the side, see how he drives the midfield and how much more a team we look. We have better footballers than Deegan at the club I think Atkinson, Clifford, Leonard and Payne (potentially) offer more. Deegan is a decent player but now Tims is nearly fit, I’d question whether another CM is the best use of our budget.
Define better ? Technically more gifted ? Tactically more aware ? It matters not, the key to success is to get the blend of players right, it's a team game and as Arsenal have proved you can have a team full of skill and brilliance but it won't necessarily win you enough games.

Define better ? Technically more gifted ? Tactically more aware ? It matters not, the key to success is to get the blend of players right, it's a team game and as Arsenal have proved you can have a team full of skill and brilliance but it won't necessarily win you enough games.

Yeah technically better. I agree with getting the blend right and in my opinion with Timlin back in the side the blend would be better.

Yeah technically better. I agree with getting the blend right and in my opinion with Timlin back in the side the blend would be better.

Deegan isnt techincally as good as others, but its his physical presence where he is better in his position than others.

For a defensive midfielder I dont think any of the others do as good a job as he does, breaking up play and winning the ball he is better than the rest.. In a 442 system I wouldnt use him but with 3 central midfielders he gets my vote.

Deegan isnt techincally as good as others, but its his physical presence where he is better in his position than others.

For a defensive midfielder I dont think any of the others do as good a job as he does, breaking up play and winning the ball he is better than the rest.. In a 442 system I wouldnt use him but with 3 central midfielders he gets my vote.

Not sure I agree, our most dominant midfield performances in years came last season around Nov time with Atkinson, Leonard and Timlin in the middle with Straker and Hurst on the flanks. The 3 of them worked in unison and shared the dirty work, although i'd say Atkinson did the most.

I’ve had a lot of time for what you have said on the forum so far but I don’t agree with this one.
:smile: Hey it's fine mate, no sweat - it's what makes a forum exactly that - a forum.
We signed Peter Butler from Southend and I remember him being the reason we got promoted to The Premier League in 1992/93 - he broke it all up and allowed others to play, even though there were technically better players in the side.
I believe that Southend are one of the bigger teams in the division and when you have that, most games are going to be difficult - other teams will come to your ground and treat it almost like a cup final... away from home, the mentality is, 'kick their players off the park, they don't like it up 'em' etc.....
This is when you need a Deegan.

If it isn't like that, as was the case with Exeter who came to play, then you still need a Deegan - which is why they made a big change in midfield at half time. I think he's perfect for a side wishing to get out of the fourth division.

Not sure I agree, our most dominant midfield performances in years came last season around Nov time with Atkinson, Leonard and Timlin in the middle with Straker and Hurst on the flanks. The 3 of them worked in unison and shared the dirty work, although i'd say Atkinson did the most.

Yes but now we have Payne who does no dirty work.

Back