• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What type would you prefer? :winking:

My reply was edited as it involved a quote citing personal abuse from Wiggy where I was called "Shrimperzone's resident do-gooder" presumably for coming on SZ with news of money raised in memory of my daughter for Little Havens. That's what I don't need. Thought you should know that.

My reply was edited as it involved a quote citing personal abuse from Wiggy where I was called "Shrimperzone's resident do-gooder" presumably for coming on SZ with news of money raised in memory of my daughter for Little Havens. That's what I don't need. Thought you should know that.

Sorry.I didn't see Wiggy's original post.My apologies.

I thought you were just defending Phil Brown and last night's performance.

I wasn't there but Paul Clark's commentary is always excellent.A few thoughts:
1 I fear we may have to start looking at the bottom end of a very equable league.
2 The 1st goal is always absolutely vital.-especially when it's 0-0 with an hour gone.I was hardly overjoyed to hear Weston was stepping up.A bright move would have been to bring on Barnard there and then,failing that Corr has a very good penalty record.
3 Nearly everyone made Worrall man-of-the-match v Exeter but again he didn't get a look-in.
4 Brown's got to give Bolger an extended run in the team now and pray Prosser doesn't have to come off the bench.

Wow, this is tough. I still like Brown and I still think that he currently is the right man. I have seen parts of our game improve under him, but on the flipside, the constant changing and not trying 2 men up top is starting to frustrate me.

This on going "he only wants to win 1-0 .." is starting gripe as well.

Ive been vocal with people I sit with, with SUFC supporting friends and anyone else that may wish to listen, but once the players cross that white line, they have to take responsability. Now yes, we are creating as many chances as say Real Madrid are, but we are creating chances. Wimbledon and Morcambe and Exeter first half we created enough to be at least 2 goals up at half time. Players arent taking these chances. It was not Brown that missed the penalty last night, and then you go from being a goal up, to a goal down and Brown gets the blame. Now I am not saying he is blameless in the whole, but again, we go one up last night and then wow, we are on the cusp of a great away win. Chances whether you make 1, 2 or 3 you have to take them. Newport scored with their first chance !!

Now, this leads on to confidence. If you go in at the break 1-0 up, or 0-0 and your condidence is low, then you as a team start to defend deeper. This is where the Exeter goal and subsquent pressure came from. Defenders in their sub concious believe that defending deeper is a safer option, but as we know it isnt. This creates a gap in the middle between the back 4 and the midfield.

Again, yes Brown needs to spend time to get players beliefs up again, but again, these are professionals, take some responsability.

I hope Brown doesnt get the chop, I like the fact that to be fair to Ron, he has always looked for stability, this is important than being a knee jerk chairman. At the end of the day we do have the players to make some type of positive impact in this league, however Brown needs to be strong, pick what he deems his best 11 and stick by it for a few games. If this means Payne is a sub, then so beit, if this means Barn up front with Corr, so beit, if this means Shaq so beit. Stand by his convictions.

Again, I have waffled, but I am looking and trying to highlight widespread issues and concerns, whilst not just saying "we havent won for 4 games now ........" etc.

UTB's

maybe we should have a new prediction league on here.......How many changes will Brown make for the Bury game

I will go for 4

Having just been messaged for an apology........here's what i more or less said........mods are losing it!

Out of order!......... absolutely agree if that is what i meant.....however it obviously had nothing whatsoever to do with his daughter or charity work which is so much more important than SUFC. Can't believe that Hawkwell Blue or yourself would have read it like that and think i deserve an apology for even thinking that of me. It was all about him defending everything Southend and Phil Brown, end of, so ban me for life if you want, maybe a good thing if you come to ridiculous conclusions like this,insulted, you bet! wiggy.

1 I fear we may have to start looking at the bottom end of a very equable league.
2 The 1st goal is always absolutely vital.-especially when it's 0-0 with an hour gone.I was hardly overjoyed to hear Weston was stepping up.A bright move would have been to bring on Barnard there and then,failing that Corr has a very good penalty record.
3 Nearly everyone made Worrall man-of-the-match v Exeter but again he didn't get a look-in.4 Brown's got to give Bolger an extended run in the team now and pray Prosser doesn't have to come off the bench.

I thought Worrall was injured and unavailable last night?

3 Nearly everyone made Worrall man-of-the-match v Exeter but again he didn't get a look-in.
4 Brown's got to give Bolger an extended run in the team now and pray Prosser doesn't have to come off the bench.

1. You may be right , but as you say , not much between anyone , so could go either way from here.
2. As you quite rightly said , Paul Clarks commentary was once again very good IMO and the guy talks a lot of sense.
But by that admission , you would also have heard him basically saying that up until that point , Weston had been our best player.
Yes he missed , and yes IMO he has not been good for most of the season , but he was clearly up for last nights game , so cant balme him or PB for taking the penlaty.
3. Worral injured.
4. All about opinions , but I rate Prosser above Bolger right now

I thought Worrall was injured and unavailable last night?
Yep,sorry-I'd missed that-he has been seriously under-used though.
The main cause of our slide down the table would be the lack of a GOALSCORER to play off/alongside Corr.At this time both Coulthirst and Payne look to me like effective 2nd half subs.

I'm a fan of Prosser, who each game puts his body/head on the line for SUFC, does not shy away from getting stuck in, our problem is not the back 4 its our forward line. Morcombe, Exeter & Newport all these games we should have been two or three goals up before half time, our defence record speaks for itself, but out so called forwards should ALL hang their heads in shame.

I'm a fan of Prosser, who each game puts his body/head on the line for SUFC, does not shy away from getting stuck in, our problem is not the back 4 its our forward line. Morcombe, Exeter & Newport all these games we should have been two or three goals up before half time, our defence record speaks for itself, but out so called forwards should ALL hang their heads in shame.

Its not just the forwards, its the entire team.

We cant expect to win games when the defence concede, which they have done 5 times in 4 games now. Nor can we expect to win if we score just 1 goal in 4 games.

Then there's the midfield who play a big part in both not conceding and creating and scoring chances themselves.

There is a lack of performance throughout the side at the moment.

Look at what LF said earlier...

Lets start with the bleeding obvious. We do not and cannot score goals. For an hour we were the best team by a mile, yet created one decent chance which sadly fell to John White. .

That sentence said it all, one decent chance that fell to a defender yet the criticism is for the strikers. Too easy a peg to hang the blame on.

I take it you weren't there last night seeing as a back 3 was played from the off to handle zebrovski playing as a wide target man. That's why white was so far back last night. Normally he picks and chooses pretty well when to get forward from full back I think, but it gives balance to the side to have one or other of the full backs more concerned with defending than attacking. What does need to change though is the midfield. It's very workmanlike at the moment, but has little in the way of creativity. Deegan was effectively a replacement for the injured timlin and leonard at the time, but a midfield 3 with all of them is too much. Clifford is the player that's different to that and he moves the ball around a lot better than any of them. The forwards aren't getting too many chances because there is nobody to create them, only stifle and harry the opposition.

I agree the balance in midfield isn't there but Timlin moves the ball much better than Clifford. He might misplace a few, but he passes earlier, changes direction better and puts more pace on his passes. Clifford's distribution, like Atkinson and Deegan, is laboured. The only thing Clifford adds is long-range shooting.

When Sturrock played one up front he'd have midfielders getting into 6 yard box. We're lucky if our midfielders get into the 18 yard box. That's why Worrall's goal was so exciting - we actually had a midfielder pushing forward.

No problem. Actually I quite like Phil Brown so I might have a go later at defending it.....:winking:

Well if you are a Phil Brown fan you will be a fan of defending....

It's a bit too negative on here for my liking. We were dominant first half last. People on here lose all objectivity when we lose a couple. I took 9 mates from Cardiff and none are Southend fans. They were all v. impressed at half time - a couple of them have Cardiff season tickets so its not like they don't know football. We kept the ball well and gave Newport no space or time. There is no hiding the fact that we have no great finishers and for all our possession we created few great chances. If the penalty had been scored we would have won.

Bentley - 7 didn't have loads to do. Good save from a late free kick and out quickly for a through ball. Distribution was good given the wind. Couldn't do much for the goal
White - 6 Did ok but passing has been better
Thompson - 7 fairly commanding and won more headers than the rest of our team but few too many hoofs
Prosser - 6 Not bad but didn't got caught out of position a couple of times
Williams - 8 MOM - skinned their right back a couple of times and was at the centre of most of our good moves
Leonard - 7 Picked some good passes but few of those marauding runs
Timlin - 7 Good battling performance
Deegan - 7 As above
Atkinson - 7 some good runs but unspectacular
Corr - 5.5 - weak, rarely won a header

Subs: Barnard - 5 not up to much, Payne 6 not much time to do anything but looked committed Shaq - too short to rate

Back