• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Please don't swear at me :stunned:

Na in all seriousness, point taken. Just frustrating watching players that would have been within our remit scoring away whilst we couldn't hit a donkey's arse with a banjo.

I know it is frustrating and I'm feeling the same way. To be fair, you usually make good posts and rarely let emotions get the better of you, just shows how annoying the lack of goals is at the moment.

Not scoring is undoubtably an issue that Phil simply can't ignore any longer and for me the blame lies solely on Brown. I don't actually think it's as difficult to find a decent striker as I and many thought. Below is the current 5 top scorers in league two and how much they cost:

1. Mark Cullen- 8 - Luton - Free transfer from Hull
2. Danny Hylton - 8 - Oxford - Free transfer from Rotheram
3. Marc Richards - 8 - Northampton - Free transfer from Chesterfield
4. Matt Tubbs - 8 - Wimbledon - Loan from Bournemouth
5. Adebayo Akinfenwa - 6 - Wimbledon - Free transfer from Gillingham

So there you have it, 5 strikers with a combined total of 38 goals between them all costing a grand total of £0. I guess the theory that decent proven goal scorers come at a premium is a load of cobblers. The more worrying thing is that I'm pretty certain all 5 of those probably earn less than Barnard does.

Makes you wonder what our 'chief scout' was up to over the summer doesn't it?

Transfer fees mean nothing nowadays though. Three of those will be on not only more than Barnard but more than anyone in the squad, IMO.

Barry Corr out-scored all of them last year.

Whether we need to add to squad is debatable. We are clearly not capable of getting the best out of what we have and why should bringing in a new addition change that? People often cite the amount of shots we have but ignore the fact the vast majority were never testing the keeper. PB appears bereft of how to set up the strikers and the strikers appear bereft of any confidence.

Unlike many I have never been a Corr fan but that aside I think, and its only my opinion, that his best has gone, maybe due to injuries which is always sad. Barnard is the next Freddy in that it matters nothing what he does he will not get a run in the side. I still believe there is a good player in there and he needs a regular chance.

Whoever is upfront often has to play the lone wolf role which clearly is not working. In theory, if they are supported by mids running on it can work but a) our mids are absent from the box too often and b) our mids are not great in the scoring department. Often hard work is followed by a lame side foot shot or a high and wide joke.

Young Williams is apparently not ready and nor is Layne. So? Weston is not the answer and Shaq has had ample opportunity to prove that he is not a regular scorer. The youths can do no worse than their more senior counterparts.

Before the season started I cast doubt on the likely tally from our front performers. I could have been proved wrong and wish I had been but for me the risk was too high and PB failed then to hedge his bets.

We are currently paying the price for the managers stubbornness. Action from him has been required for some time but nothing has been forthcoming. Things are not going to suddenly and magically change for the better without some change. If anything things will get worse as the side lose more and more confidence and the fans begin to get further disgruntled and make comments that upset the players fragile ego.

I agree with the sentiments expressed by Lord Football on another thread regarding the current state of play. There's a lot of talk around here about signing this type of player or that - I firmly believe PB has been backed very well and we have a squad that's capable of going up. We have 2 or 3 of the best strikers in the league - we don't need more. The fact that the squad isn't performing is a management issue - we could have Diego Costa up front at the moment but he wouldn't score as we simply don't create chances.

More worryingly, I don't think Brown knows his best side. He's taken stick throughout his time at our club, but he's generally stuck to his principles and his team selection. It seems that in the last 2-3 games he's taken to chopping and changing, without any logical reason - I'd almost suggest he has too many options in midfield and doesn't know how to fit them all in.

Last night was the most dissapointed I've been for a while - not because we lost, but because we seem to be losing our game plan. Away from home we're usually solid, organised, and people know their job - in short we're pretty professional. That wasn't the case last night. I couldn't figure what formation we were playing in the second half - and don't give me any of this fluidity nonsense - we're a league 2 team, not Barcelona. People need to know their roles. In the second half we had 3 different players taking right sided throw ins - there seemed to be no order whatsoever. And most frustrating of all - what is supposed to happen when we get a corner? The team didn't seem to know last night - this should be a training ground basic - THIS is our corner routine. We didn't seem sure of the taker last night and Timlin then seemed to be trying whatever he fancied. We simply didn't look like we had rehearsed anything and we're supposed to be a professional football team.

I'm not one of these to come on here and rant every time we lose, but last night was a bit of a turning point for me. I simply didn't see any evidence of game management taking place which is unusual and worrying.

Win 4 in a row - "We're going to win the league, we are dominant, we are awesome."

Draw 1 and Lose 3 out of 4 - "Let's get rid of Brown, our players can't score, we don't play well anymore."

I love the passion of the fans, I love this club, but boy do we jump from one cliff to another in quick time.

We are tenth.

Should we be higher? Probably.

Is the season over? No.

Can everything be turned around. Yes.

We are two points from the top 7 and seven from the top.

No team looks dominant, and each team has had at least 5 matches with a draw or a loss in it.

Let's wait until game 30 before we throw people under a bridge.

If it looks dire then changes need to be made.

To do it now would be worse than what the situation is now.

I dont recall any such posts , I do recall lots of posts during our winning streak bemoaning the lack of firepower - that has been a constant IMO

Agree with this, even during that winning run we didnt play particularly well. I felt at the time it was a slightly false position to be in. However, the thing that interests me is the fact that points wise we are not far off the top, yet there is so much doom and gloom on here, and i hold my hands up, im one of them. Thinking about it, it is to do with the fact that on paper we have a decent set of players, yet we are flattering to deceive at present. Weve lost 1-0 to Morecombe, Wimbledon, Newport. Drawn with Exeter, Oxford and Carlisle. All those games we could have won and its that lack of fire power that potentially has cost us the results. I think thats the reason for the frustration more than anything else.

And that's been the problem for me this season there has not been a gower-esq player or a mohsni somebody who can win you a game or turn a game on it's head

Very true.

I was hoping that Payne would be that missing link since Hurst seems to have completely lost his mojo, but despite a great start he really isnt impacting games. Whether thats because he isnt getting the ball enough in the positions he needs it Im not sure.

Last season after our long winless run we just needed a spark, we got that with one hit wonder Loza timed perfectly with a terrible Oxford side, and that reignited our form.

Last night from the radio commentary we were far the better side and if that penalty had gone in that would have seen us back up to 5th and with positive momentum. We miss it, then concede against the run of play and bang, straight back into the slump.

Margins are so close at the moment if we had that one player able to provide a bit of magic it may well have seen us 4 or 5 places higher, whether that is a striker or a midfielder, just someone to help swing these games.

[VINE][/VINE]
Very true.

I was hoping that Payne would be that missing link since Hurst seems to have completely lost his mojo, but despite a great start he really isnt impacting games. Whether thats because he isnt getting the ball enough in the positions he needs it Im not sure.

Last season after our long winless run we just needed a spark, we got that with one hit wonder Loza timed perfectly with a terrible Oxford side, and that reignited our form.

Last night from the radio commentary we were far the better side and if that penalty had gone in that would have seen us back up to 5th and with positive momentum. We miss it, then concede against the run of play and bang, straight back into the slump.

Margins are so close at the moment if we had that one player able to provide a bit of magic it may well have seen us 4 or 5 places higher, whether that is a striker or a midfielder, just someone to help swing these games.

This sums it up for me and is the reason why i'm not over reacting like some and calling for Phils head. We aren't far off and we have been missing Leonard (last years player of the season) who will need a couple of games back, Coker (for me the player of last season) and Timlin who is widely lauded on here. Yes, the goalscoring has to be addressed but with these margins between us getting results so small I am not panicing and expect us to turn things round and be in and around where we need to be come the new year. (last time I wrote a post like this we went on a 4 game winning streak, in Brown I trust ):winking:

Win 4 in a row - "We're going to win the league, we are dominant, we are awesome."

Draw 1 and Lose 3 out of 4 - "Let's get rid of Brown, our players can't score, we don't play well anymore."

I love the passion of the fans, I love this club, but boy do we jump from one cliff to another in quick time.

We are tenth.

Should we be higher? Probably.

Is the season over? No.

Can everything be turned around. Yes.

We are two points from the top 7 and seven from the top.

No team looks dominant, and each team has had at least 5 matches with a draw or a loss in it.

Let's wait until game 30 before we throw people under a bridge.

If it looks dire then changes need to be made.

To do it now would be worse than what the situation is now.

Can't help but agree.
Sack the manager cries every time there is a bad run of results won't do it.
You get a new face in, but he has to work with the players the old boss left behind. Those on contract stay, even if they don't want to play for the new bloke.
Mr New can't get in the players he wants because of the budget, and the new broom effect lasts a couple of games at best.

I also think one of our issues is our threat from set pieces. The likes of Philips - Creswell- Bilel used to tap in with there fair share of goals per season, just doesnt seem to occur anymore.

I agree with the sentiments expressed by Lord Football on another thread regarding the current state of play. There's a lot of talk around here about signing this type of player or that - I firmly believe PB has been backed very well and we have a squad that's capable of going up. We have 2 or 3 of the best strikers in the league - we don't need more. The fact that the squad isn't performing is a management issue - we could have Diego Costa up front at the moment but he wouldn't score as we simply don't create chances.

More worryingly, I don't think Brown knows his best side. He's taken stick throughout his time at our club, but he's generally stuck to his principles and his team selection. It seems that in the last 2-3 games he's taken to chopping and changing, without any logical reason - I'd almost suggest he has too many options in midfield and doesn't know how to fit them all in.

Last night was the most dissapointed I've been for a while - not because we lost, but because we seem to be losing our game plan. Away from home we're usually solid, organised, and people know their job - in short we're pretty professional. That wasn't the case last night. I couldn't figure what formation we were playing in the second half - and don't give me any of this fluidity nonsense - we're a league 2 team, not Barcelona. People need to know their roles. In the second half we had 3 different players taking right sided throw ins - there seemed to be no order whatsoever. And most frustrating of all - what is supposed to happen when we get a corner? The team didn't seem to know last night - this should be a training ground basic - THIS is our corner routine. We didn't seem sure of the taker last night and Timlin then seemed to be trying whatever he fancied. We simply didn't look like we had rehearsed anything and we're supposed to be a professional football team.

I'm not one of these to come on here and rant every time we lose, but last night was a bit of a turning point for me. I simply didn't see any evidence of game management taking place which is unusual and worrying.

We may not actually have a "best side".

What we have is more strength in depth than we have had for years. After the Portsmouth game, someone posted a thread called "We have a second eleven" and it was a complete team of everyone who didn't play against Pompey.

It would be a real struggle to see which of the teams would win if they played each other.

What I think we have are players and systems that will work against some teams and not others. I think Brown tries to select a side based on a) who's available and b) who the opposition is.

It probably shows a great deal more tactical awareness than most people give him credit for on here.

The trouble is, it isn't working.

We play or don't play in clumps. Our second half against York was awesome, one of the best away performances I have seen from a Southend team in years, yet we were still hanging on a bit at the end.

So what is the actual problem?

I don't buy all this "Brown only wants to win 1-0" stuff. We have far too many chances for that.

Could it just be down to luck? Under Tilly when we won the L1 title, we rarely dominated matches early in the season but we would often play very well for about 10-15 minutes and in that time we would invariably score 1, maybe 2 goals.

That was then it - job done. Brown just doesn't seem to be that lucky.

Our trouble seems to be that we can never turn our obvious dominance possession wise into goals.

There is nothing wrong with any of our strikers. Barnard and Corr have decent goal records, no-one can tell me Shaq has always fluffed this many chances, Weston played pretty well in a Gillingham L1 side... so what EXACTLY is the problem?

Personally, I think the players aren't good enough to consistently play a 4-3-3/4-5-1 formation. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and they are very much confidence driven.

For me, a switch to 4-4-2 with 2 wide players and 2 forwards will help.

How about trying Hurst in the middle and see if that helps?

Play 4-4-2 witht the front 6 as follows..

Worrall Hurst Deegan Timlin
Corr Barnard

How about trying Hurst in the middle and see if that helps?

Play 4-4-2 witht the front 6 as follows..

Worrall Hurst Deegan Timlin
Corr Barnard

We have midfielders coming out of our ears, why move an out of form wide player there? He wont do better than Leonard or Clifford and if you want to take a risk Payne would be a better option (although not one Id want to take).

The thing that concerns me is that the players seem afraid to try something different... like they will get a bo!!ocking for not following the managers orders.

Plus the percieved unfairness of team selection must be getting players down, players like Clifford, Barnard, Worrell and Payne all waited their turn then played really really well only to be dropped next game. Then you have got the favoritsm, Hurst, Atkinson, Coulthurst, Weston and you could argue Timlin (why did he come straight back in when clifford was doing so well) who have bad games but still get picked.

This would p!ss me right off and probably does the players too!

Everyone seems to blame the manager only by the way, how about the coaching staff take responsibility too. They may even be influencing the team selection and creating waves within the camp!

The thing that concerns me is that the players seem afraid to try something different... like they will get a bo!!ocking for not following the managers orders.

Plus the percieved unfairness of team selection must be getting players down, players like Clifford, Barnard, Worrell and Payne all waited their turn then played really really well only to be dropped next game. Then you have got the favoritsm, Hurst, Atkinson, Coulthurst, Weston and you could argue Timlin (why did he come straight back in when clifford was doing so well) who have bad games but still get picked.

This would p!ss me right off and probably does the players too!

Everyone seems to blame the manager only by the way, how about the coaching staff take responsibility too. They may even be influencing the team selection and creating waves within the camp!

Love how people throw the favouritism card in.

Most of those players you list as favourites havent been playing so havent even been picked.

Seeing the recent post about the coaching staff reminds me of a comment from my brother-in-law, an Oldham season ticket holder, about Penney as their manager. He was very keen to shut up shop after going one up. Some of the most boring recent times at Latics he reckoned. Is Penney having more of an influence than we know?

Back