• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
How big is the FA Cup to us and to Phil Brown now?

Out of the league cup at the first hurdle, out of the JPT Wembley final cup at the first hurdle and languishing in midtable - a side shorn of confidence.

I was fiercely disappointed when our manager meekly surrendered both cup competitions and thought we would regret it. Nothing has changed my mind on that since, and it looks like being a HUGE error on Brown's behalf to field weakened teams.

We now need something to look forward to, something to excite us, something to inspire us. Some might think that means a Jeremy Kyle team talk, a training session down the pier or actually something that wasn't a gimmick for media attention but a cup run to enthuse the fans and give us something to look forward to - because despite a decent first half v Exeter it sure hasn't been the football.

There's still plenty of time for a new manager to resurrect us, but if we go out of the cup in 4 weeks' time our season will be looking dangerously over, such is the folly of fielding weakened sides in the cup. What we need to revive us is a cup run. Remember the buzz of Wembley, the buzz of Chelsea, the buzz of Man U, the buzz of being one game away from a winnable tie against Liverpool, even the buzz of Canvey Island or the buzz of Paul Smith v Brentford and last season the buzz of Chesterfield, Millwall and Hull (less so Morecambe).

I think the draw for the next round, where we join, is Monday evening. Our season could turn on it.

A first round exit and Brown's time will be looking up. A win could ignite an otherwise dull season and inspire us to challenge.

I guess losing to a higher division team and on penalties to another team we lost to a couple of weeks before is "throwing the games".

Who cares about the JPT? Barely anyone.

Languishing in mid-table, yet a couple of games ago we were near the automatics.

Sorry but sounds like this is just another thread where we can bash Brown a bit because he isn't Sturrock ... how many times did we have a decent cup run with him? Only one I can remember is the JPT which cost him his job and ended up being a pretty dull Wembley appearance (Brown's fault admittedly).

I guess losing to a higher division team and on penalties to another team we lost to a couple of weeks before is "throwing the games".

Who cares about the JPT? Barely anyone.

Languishing in mid-table, yet a couple of games ago we were near the automatics.

Sorry but sounds like this is just another thread where we can bash Brown a bit because he isn't Sturrock ... how many times did we have a decent cup run with him? Only one I can remember is the JPT which cost him his job and ended up being a pretty dull Wembley appearance (Brown's fault admittedly).

Playing a weakened team is throwing the match. I've been consistent about this whether it was Tilson, Sturrock or Brown.

30,000 cared about the JPT when we went to Wembley, 20,000+ when we went to Cardiff. People cared about it when we beat Orient or Col Ewe in the area finals.

As for cup runs Under Sturrock we knocked out at least one higher division team from a cup each season (Bristol City, Preston, Brentford and Orient were amongst our victims). We were also drawn v Liverpool at Anfield, although ended up losing to Oldham.

Our cup exploits were 7, 9 and 13 matches, which provided a welcome distraction from the league.

Under Brown we beat Millwall (the high point of the Brown era so far) as part of the 13 match unbeaten run. We need another cup run like that.

I'd like us to take it seriously, we have a strong squad and need to give some players a chance, and unless you're playing a Man Utd or Chelsea I don't think that it really distracts from things.

Playing a weakened team is throwing the match. I've been consistent about this whether it was Tilson, Sturrock or Brown.

30,000 cared about the JPT when we went to Wembley, 20,000+ when we went to Cardiff. People cared about it when we beat Orient or Col Ewe in the area finals.

As for cup runs Under Sturrock we knocked out at least one higher division team from a cup each season (Bristol City, Preston, Brentford and Orient were amongst our victims). We were also drawn v Liverpool at Anfield, although ended up losing to Oldham.

Our cup exploits were 7, 9 and 13 matches, which provided a welcome distraction from the league.

Under Brown we beat Millwall (the high point of the Brown era so far) as part of the 13 match unbeaten run. We need another cup run like that.

Sturrock played a weak side when we played Swindon in the area semi final. That was far more infuriating than playing a weaker team in the first few rounds.

I do agree with what you suggest that we should take the cups more serious. Some of the cup games I have witnessed have been the most memorable.

Definitely need a good cup run for team morale, for supporters and for the club finances! Hope it's a good draw for us so everyone is fired up and excited when the Junior Blues have their day with the players on Tuesday :smile:

The FA Cup always matters. And given how we are in a bit of a trough at the moment (no need for panic stations, but things aren't exactly great right now), for all the reasons stated by Yorkie, it matters even more this year.

Playing is weakened team, or giving other players a change to show what they can do?

Team that played Walsall: P Smith, Leonard, Thompson, Prosser, Coker, Worrall, Atkinson, Payne, Barnard, Coulthirst, Ibenfelt.

Team that played Wimbledon: Bentley, White, Prosser, Coker, Worrall, Weston, Atkinson, Payne, Deegan, Coulthirst, Ibenfelt.

How many of those would you not consider in contention for a first team place? Probably Paul Smith.

Then look at Sturrock's cup games, the guy played Woodyard against Orient in both legs. Even in the 2nd leg he pretty much game then a goal before putting Corr on after just 35 minutes to haul Woodyard off.

When it came to the final, but there are several games before that. It cost us any chance of promotion as after the 1st Orient game Sturrock only won twice before losing his job.

I said CUP RUNS, not games. In 11/12 and 12/13 we had to play 2 FA cup replays and never got past the 2nd round. Why would it be a "welcome distraction" when we were in the top 3 for most of the 11/12 season and in the play-offs for a decent part of the 12/13 season? It wasn't like we were stuck in the bottom half and scrapping half-decent results.

That Millwall win was half way through a 7 match unbeaten run. Even the 1st round victory against Morecambe came after a 3-0 win and was the 2nd victory in a 7 match unbeaten run.

There are 2 tricky games against Bury (4th) and Mansfield (good home record this season) before the FA cup game, but win those (which I believe we can) and we will be back in the play-offs.

Of couse we want a cup run, but it is hardly going to be Brown's fault if we get drawn against Peterborough or Bristol City.

Whilst I think PB is safe for now, if we get drawn against a minnow and manage to lose that will be the end for Mr Tango IMHO.

I always (well sometimes) say that it is important to set out to win every game - that would ensure promotion!

And sometimes 'fringe' players need the time on the pitch because winning promotion is about having more than XI players contributing. As such I don't see that we put out 'weakened' teams.

And finally, I hope we win the cup this year - I'm sure the players will try their hardest. :thumbsup:

Whilst I think PB is safe for now, if we get drawn against a minnow and manage to lose that will be the end for Mr Tango IMHO.

I think the next 2 games will set it up nicely. A couple of good results and confidence will rise, while a couple of defeats and pressure will be on.

Playing is weakened team, or giving other players a change to show what they can do?

Team that played Walsall: P Smith, Leonard, Thompson, Prosser, Coker, Worrall, Atkinson, Payne, Barnard, Coulthirst, Ibenfelt.

Team that played Wimbledon: Bentley, White, Prosser, Coker, Worrall, Weston, Atkinson, Payne, Deegan, Coulthirst, Ibenfelt.

How many of those would you not consider in contention for a first team place? Probably Paul Smith.

Then look at Sturrock's cup games, the guy played Woodyard against Orient in both legs. Even in the 2nd leg he pretty much game then a goal before putting Corr on after just 35 minutes to haul Woodyard off.

When it came to the final, but there are several games before that. It cost us any chance of promotion as after the 1st Orient game Sturrock only won twice before losing his job.

I said CUP RUNS, not games. In 11/12 and 12/13 we had to play 2 FA cup replays and never got past the 2nd round. Why would it be a "welcome distraction" when we were in the top 3 for most of the 11/12 season and in the play-offs for a decent part of the 12/13 season? It wasn't like we were stuck in the bottom half and scrapping half-decent results.

That Millwall win was half way through a 7 match unbeaten run. Even the 1st round victory against Morecambe came after a 3-0 win and was the 2nd victory in a 7 match unbeaten run.

There are 2 tricky games against Bury (4th) and Mansfield (good home record this season) before the FA cup game, but win those (which I believe we can) and we will be back in the play-offs.

Of couse we want a cup run, but it is hardly going to be Brown's fault if we get drawn against Peterborough or Bristol City.

We substantially changed the team both matches. We lost consistency, shape. It wasn't our strongest XI and the players knew that the manager wasn't taking it seriously.

Woodyard was played in the JPT because of an injury crisis (plus players being cup-tied) not through choice.

A second round replay in the FA Cup is a run to me! I've only ever seen us win 11 FA Cup games and I've been going 28 years.

Even if we are doing well in the league it's a welcome distraction from the pressure of having to pick up 3 points, looking nervously over our shoulder at how other teams are doing. The cup is different and the FA Cup is a great tradition.

Was discussing this with the missus the other day - which would you rather, get promoted, or win the FA Cup?

Personally I'd take winning the FA cup. (Before anyone says anything, I do appreciate that we actually have more chance of promotion, but promotions come and go, and a cup win is forever).

End of the day, would you prefer league progress or a cup run?

League progress for me. A first round exit definitely would NOT see the end of Brown's reign. Even if it is against a tiny team from level 8.

Was discussing this with the missus the other day - which would you rather, get promoted, or win the FA Cup?

Personally I'd take winning the FA cup. (Before anyone says anything, I do appreciate that we actually have more chance of promotion, but promotions come and go, and a cup win is forever).

I'm amazed this is even a discussion. Winning the FA Cup would be completely amazing.

I mean I'd take beating a mid-table Premier side like Liverpool in the 3rd round, over finishing 3rd this season.

Only a discussion with the missus - she'd insanely (IMO) have taken promotion.

She sure is!

Winning the FA Cup would be unbelievably amazing, even just getting to the quarters or semis would be brilliant or just playing a fixture against a top club, but turning down winning it for promotion is crazy IMO (no offence to your missus).

Even from a financial view point, winning the FA cup would bring in much more than promotion.

Back