• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What we don't need at the moment is a tie against a non-league side. In our run of form it will just be a bigger banana skin than usual. Usually I'd like a home draw or an away trip to a ground in the south that I haven't visited but on this occasion I'd take an away draw at a L1 club where we are not expected to win and therefore will have no pressure. Sheffield Utd for instance.

What a sad indictment of the state of the club ... or the mindset of supporters. You want the hardest draw possible so when we lose, there's no embarrassment !

Presumably in 2008/9 you wouldn't have swapped the banana skin at Telford for an away first round defeat at, say, Leicester, losing us the opportunity to draw in front of over 40,000 at Stamford Bridge ..... memories.

There is little memorable around at the moment. Don't throw away the chance of something decent happening in January because you're scared of non-league teams. Warrington Town at home would be ideal.

I still remember that feeling when we played Kingstonians a few years back , when before the kick off the anounser on the tannoy said that Southend supporters should keep there ticket stubs in case of a big home draw in the next round , looking round I saw various friends smiling nodding and tapping there pockets where there stubs were , well we all know what happend .

Will take anyone at home or anyone away in the south east. Away game, I would prefer Concord or Chelmsford, but would settle for someone like Gillingham or Daggers.

Don't really mind if we get knocked out.

Possibly one of the worst away ties we could get. Even though Gillingham is one of our closest games we never seem to take that many there. We take more to games that are further away!

Can't believe you don't mind if we get knocked out! The FA Cup is where the big money is for Southend.

It's all about opinions , but I can't believe that every post isn't positive about doing well in the cup.
Win through to third round and we would have won at least two games in that time ! , consequently confidence should be up and we give ourselves the chance of either some decent money against a Prem club or beating a team from Championship or L1.
The Millwall game was the most positively spoken about Match of last season and played no small part in propelling us into the play offs.
For me , there are only positives to be gained from doing well in this competition.

It's all about opinions , but I can't believe that every post isn't positive about doing well in the cup.
Win through to third round and we would have won at least two games in that time ! , consequently confidence should be up and we give ourselves the chance of either some decent money against a Prem club or beating a team from Championship or L1.
The Millwall game was the most positively spoken about Match of last season and played no small part in propelling us into the play offs.
For me , there are only positives to be gained from doing well in this competition.

You are in part right but so often, when a team gets a cup run, the players take their mind of the league. We really cannot afford to do that right now.

You are in part right but so often, when a team gets a cup run, the players take their mind of the league. We really cannot afford to do that right now.

I still feel that WINNING in Round 1 and WINNING in Round 2 are huge positives right now.
I also think that if we did draw a big team in Round 3 , the competition for places would be sky high and nobody would want to miss out by letting their performance drop.
But I do still understand your point also.

I must say I agree with some of the posts above - getting a good draw and winning is all (100%) positive.

Too much negativity from some others that I put down to reasonable concern about our current form.

I still remember that feeling when we played Kingstonians a few years back , when before the kick off the anounser on the tannoy said that Southend supporters should keep there ticket stubs in case of a big home draw in the next round , looking round I saw various friends smiling nodding and tapping there pockets where there stubs were , well we all know what happend .

I also remember Doncaster at home when they were in non league!

Alvin Martin special that one!

I would like concord or Colchester

The F.A Cup will never be the same sadly. Back in the good old days, Lol, we had players like Billy Best and Bill Garner scoring for fun, so you always thought you had a chance of reaching the quarter or semi finals as the gap between the top league clubs and bottom league clubs wasn't so great. There was a lot more upsets.
It's lost it's credibility as the premier sides play their second string up to the semi finals.
Also the F.A. Cup final day was a huge event for us as youngsters, starting about 10am until long after the final whistle. The 2 main TV stations really made a big thing of it. Nowadays I don't even care who wins it, I certainly don't watch any build up, and only watch some of the finals, usually when it doesn't involve 2 of the top 6 in the Premiership playing each other.

The F.A Cup will never be the same sadly. Back in the good old days, Lol, we had players like Billy Best and Bill Garner scoring for fun, so you always thought you had a chance of reaching the quarter or semi finals as the gap between the top league clubs and bottom league clubs wasn't so great. There was a lot more upsets.
It's lost it's credibility as the premier sides play their second string up to the semi finals.
Also the F.A. Cup final day was a huge event for us as youngsters, starting about 10am until long after the final whistle. The 2 main TV stations really made a big thing of it. Nowadays I don't even care who wins it, I certainly don't watch any build up, and only watch some of the finals, usually when it doesn't involve 2 of the top 6 in the Premiership playing each other.

Third tier Sheffield United reached the semi-finals last season.

That's only happened a five times, but three of the instances have been in the last 20 years, so the notion that it is now harder for lower division teams to reach the latter stages is a little misplaced.

That's only happened a five times, but three of the instances have been in the last 20 years, so the notion that it is now harder for lower division teams to reach the latter stages is a little misplaced.

Good stats. I remember working in a shop on Cup Final day - it was very boring as customers were few and far between - everyone was glued to the box.

Well the gulf in class for example between the Championship and Division 2 is much bigger now.

Back