• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Colchester at home will do me, anyone else I ain't gonna bother as I see Hartlepool at home much bigger:smile:

Well the gulf in class for example between the Championship and Division 2 is much bigger now.

True, but it is still an unseeded open draw and while the gap between teams like us and the very best (Chelsea, Man City, etc) is bigger than ever, many of the 'lesser' PL teams tend not to put too much effort in to the FA Cup.

With a fair bit of luck in the draw, it is still possible for 'smaller' sides to make a bit of a splash.

I bloody love the FA Cup.

Possibly one of the worst away ties we could get. Even though Gillingham is one of our closest games we never seem to take that many there. We take more to games that are further away!

Can't believe you don't mind if we get knocked out! The FA Cup is where the big money is for Southend.

If you asked anyone on here if they would rather a cup run or promotion,99% would say promotion. After we played Hull last season our league form went downhill. We could have easily finished top three last season IMO.

If you asked anyone on here if they would rather a cup run or promotion,99% would say promotion. After we played Hull last season our league form went downhill. We could have easily finished top three last season IMO.

Depends how you define 'cup run'. Out in the third round? No. Out in the semi finals? I'd take that ahead of promotion.

Now I'm living in Cheshire I'd like one of the north-west non-league teams away - Altrincham, Chester, Warrington, Macclesfield. Failing that Col U away would do nicely.

What a sad indictment of the state of the club ... or the mindset of supporters. You want the hardest draw possible so when we lose, there's no embarrassment !

Presumably in 2008/9 you wouldn't have swapped the banana skin at Telford for an away first round defeat at, say, Leicester, losing us the opportunity to draw in front of over 40,000 at Stamford Bridge ..... memories.

There is little memorable around at the moment. Don't throw away the chance of something decent happening in January because you're scared of non-league teams. Warrington Town at home would be ideal.

No, I think you're missing the point. I'm not scared of teams like Warrington... what I'm saying is that with our current form, the easier (on paper) draw is a bigger banana skin and IF we lose then the effect on confidence will be worse than normal. Looking at where we went onto after beating non-league teams in the past isn't answering the point I was making. Our 6 match form pre Telford, for instance, was 3 wins, 2 draws and one defeat. Subject to what happens at Mansfield on Saturday, our form would be at best 1 win, 2 draws and 3 defeats and at worst 2 draws and 4 defeats.

A cup run would be lovely and yes, provides some incredible memories, but ultimately I want to get out of this bloody division and the confidence in our team is clearly on the floor. If they give a good account of themselves against a higher ranking side, then that can boost confidence even if they lose. It will be difficult to see any positive at all with a draw against a team like Warrington. Not a money spinner and only scope for disappointment; we will be expected to win well and so we will have to win exceedingly well to exceed the expectations. Which set of players do you think would raise their game the most in that fixture?

We need something to ignite us and I just feel that a more difficult (on paper) draw will be what achieves that. Look at last year - I think pretty much everyone had written us off being at Morecambe away but we won 3-0.

Saw Witham v Weston super mare on Sat and WSM were pretty poor, lucky to win that game. I'd take them at home all day, even we would score against them. Wouldn't mind Chelmsford if they beat Barnet as I have a mate who plays for them.

So our form dropped massively after being knocked out of the cup, not sure how that explains the theory of not being bothered if we get knocked out. Never underestimate how important momentum is, only too evident this season....

Think this could be our year to win the thing, Coventry at the Ricoh would be a good way to start the run.

I don't understand people treating cup runs and promotion prospects as inversely correlated.

If Southend won promotion every time they got knocked out of the cups straight away we'd all be supporting a far better and more successful team than we do.

Go for the cup run every time. Here's hoping for a good draw tonight.

Because the cup isn't as important as you lot make out...its not like we'll win it is it?

I want to get out of this league.

I also want to see more matches like Man Utd or Chelsea.

I'd like us to get to the 3rd round because I think the games beforehand aren't really a distraction and with a fairly big competitive squad it gives Brown some 'free' matches to make changes and tinker with things. A big draw is what we all want (even if some people don't admit it).

Last edited:
Come on we are just two games away from mixing it with some of the biggest clubs in the world .

rigsby

I saw Miles Weston super mare on Saturday, and yes WSM was pretty poor, as is the norm and whilst im having a dig how bad was Bin-bag Williams when he had the ball. I mean first half when in good areas and with a bit of time he failed to deliver into the box and instead played number of poor short passes. Seconded half first fifteen mins he hoofed aimlessly giving Corr and Barnard no chance. later on when he did get forward his delivery from good wide positions was shocking. Just a reminder that has nothing to do with 4-5-1.

Back