• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend United manager Phil Brown backing strikers to come good

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United manager Phil Brown is backing his strikers to come good, starting with tomorrow’s clash with Bury at Roots Hall.

More...

This is a bit deja vu. He said they will come good earlier in the season, and they didn't. I can't see any of them getting 10 goals this season.

SOUTHEND United manager Phil Brown is backing his strikers to come good, starting with tomorrow’s clash with Bury at Roots Hall.

More...
How much more of his drivel can we and Ron take?........for sale, one hot air machine, comes in tan!

Ok Phil, if you say so. Looking at our strikers, im not filled with confidence at all. Imo Corr and Barnard are his only options, and played as a pair, they might come good, i think.

So no new striker in for this weekend, oh well we have to go with what we have,who will want it more up front.....Corr and Barney perhaps........lets just hope it turns round for the WHOLE TEAM this weekend

Win this one and we will all be doing cartwheels, even me with my creaking limbs. COYBB.....please!

But these quotes are totally contradictory and suggest that PB is in a dilemma that he doesn't know how to solve:

"Brown added that he had made little progress in his pursuit of signing a new striker on loan.", but surely Ifyou're backing your current strikers then you wouldn't be looking for anyone onloan?

The Blues boss also revealed he had considered calling young strikers – Jason Williams, Isaac Layne and EllisBrown in to the squad. Past tense “had” – does that mean that they won’tbe called up?

But he also feels it is important to stick by his current forwards. So why are you looking to sign a newstriker on loan?

“We’ve tried shuffling the pack and changing systems but maybe it’sconsistency and continuity we need,” said Brown. I can’t actuallybelieve that an experienced Manager says such a thing as “maybe” in this context – this statement really worries me as it suggests that he doesn’tknow the answer.

“If we were to bring one or two in then it would ruffle some feathersbut we’re no closer to that happen than we were earlier on in the week.” Does this mean he is trying to get someone in but they aren’t available or he can’t find anyone? Either way it doesn’t look like he is backing our current strikers– either first team or the young reserves.

This all sounds like a headless chicken approach to me and if the goals do start coming then it's going to be down to luck rather than judgement.

I will be so happy however if the goals start flowing on Saturday and PB rams my concerns and comments right back down my throat!

Sounds to me like he is considering his options carefully rather than panic and throw someone in, either on loan or from the fringes, who may not be good enough or ready yet.

Please play Barnard and Corr as twin strikers from the start, Mr Brown.........................

If Corr had the right supply, stayed forward and restricted much of his work to the attacking element of his game, then I am sure he could get a few goals. If Barnard were played consistently and given the right service I think he could outscore Corr. I don't see them playing together and its a case of either/or and some pace with them.

For me it is not so much about the strikers 'coming good' but more a matter of the system suiting the strikers. That I am afraid is very much down to PB.

PB can bring in as many strikers as he likes but if he fails to set the team up to pay to their strengths then the goal drought will persist.

Greetings from Porto! Have a great game to enjoy tomorrow amigos!,
im not in the camp of its all about the system that stymies our goal scoring as many other teams are playing the same system and knocking in the goals, so half decent strikers do count as does getting forward and actually hitting the ball towards the post and net things, Obrigado over and out!

Would not want to put my hard earned penny,s backing our strikers to start scoring soon . Your backing a dead horse there phil .

Ok...so the 'team building' ..development..reserves game, hasn't worked. I just wonder if PB will use the Essex Cup as a chance to see if any of the youngsters are ready...or another 'confidence building' exercise.

Seems like Shaq can't get any pitch time now. Perhaps PB has given up on him and hopes Tottingham will call him back, to make way for someone else. I still can't see what Weston offers.

Seems like Shaq can't get any pitch time now. Perhaps PB has given up on him and hopes Tottingham will call him back, to make way for someone else. I still can't see what Weston offers.

Weston is a poor man's James Walker.

Thought Corr and Barnard played well today, but the problem was with us playing the ball around too slowly. There was a few good pieces of quick passing but too rare.

Also would like to see Timlin on the left with Leonard in the middle.

Hopefully will see Layne and Williams play in the Essex Senior Cup on Tuesday to see if they can be back ups.

If that's the case...he could play someone else anyway, I wouldn't think he'd have to wait for him to go back...unless you talking about getting someone else in.

PB made noises about a possible new striker, then said he has faith in what he has. Perhaps he's been told additions aren't on. Its one one way to get a new face in if Spurts call him back. Just difficult to believe Weston gets the nod.

Back