• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Simply don't see him the same as you do Dave, time and time again, it's been his foot or his head that's got in the way of attempts or attacks by various opposition players. He's a calm head under pressure most of the time.

He never over laps, he offers little going forward and I think he waste possession a fair but. I don't think he is the most pressing problem we have but I think he is someone we need to replace to become a top side.

I worked a night shift, got home at 9am and was up again on the road at 12am to travel to Roots Hall to see my team. It is usual for me to go with football having had so little sleep and I am normally happy to do this but today watching that game, one of the most boring and dull matches I have seen in a long time, I (half jokingly) said to the bloke I sit next to "wake me up at the end of 90 minutes" and although I didn't actually drift off, I almost wished I had. Not only was the football abysmal, painful to watch and tactically clueless but it was clear for all to see exactly how far off we are from being a team who are capable of challenging for promotion.

The decision by Brown to take off Barny and bring on Weston to enable us to go with one striker up top was so wrong that it is embarressing to even think that this was made by a manager with so much experience.

Brown's squad are quality (for this level) and something is obviously seriously amiss. Ron has a big decision to make, sooner rather than later, but this whole scenario is looking like PB's time on the Essex Riviera may well be drawing to a close.

As has been the case of late we have failed to win a game that was there to win. Unlike other weeks though we created very little. PB tactics baffle me, 1-0 up doing ok, so he decides to take off barney who I thought played well and battled hard, went five in midfield and invited the pressure that inevitably lead to the goal. The mindset in the second half was clearly one to hold on to what we had, with very little thought of pushing forward and try to kill the game off. The players look low on confidence and void of ideas in the final third. Deegan has had his time and needs to go, get Timlin and Lenny back together in the Middle, Lenny is wasted at right back. Worrell mom by a country mile and should have got a nailed on penalty. Atkinson also played well. The defence looked solid and restricted their attack to few chances although Bentley made a good stop from the one chance in the first half they created. Really don't like Williams, gets forward ok but his final ball is dreadful and his positional play defensively is awful. Corr and Barney both battled hard with very little to feed off, Corr took his goal well. Disappointed to see Barney come off. Timlin worked hard but some his passing was way off today.

In the end 1 point is poor return after leading again at HT, yet our tactics have invited the opposition onto us and cost us all three points. I do think we have the players at the club, but they are not being allowed to express themselves with what appears to be defensive and negative tactics. 1 point from the playoffs isn't a disaster, but feel we could and should be doing so much better.

Signed in to have my say , but this is almost exactly what I wanted to say.

I cannot believe two people are having a go at John White here! He was one of our better players today, and didn't do a great deal wrong as far as I can see!

It was good to see a change to 4-4-2, which I'd said I felt we ought to try during the week, trouble is, if you're going to play 4-4-2, then let's at least get the ball to Barney's feet and stop humping long balls half heartedly forward. Barney was the better of the two strikers, Corr looked lazy to me whereas at least Barney was giving it plenty. Midfield was strange, with two fairly defensive ones centrally, the two wide players didn't get enough service going forward and we kept trying to play it through the middle. It wasn't till the 2nd half when Lenny and Worrall started pushing forward that we really looked threatening. Deegan had little influence on the game, Timlin, on the other hand, was the puppet master and it's good to see him back.

I just didn't understand the set up, Lenny and Timlin is our best central midfield combination, we had two fit central defenders so why on earth did we have Lenny at RB and John White in the middle of defence? And then, why on earth Weston when we made our first substitution? Wrong, wrong, wrong!

Bentley - 6, didn't have to do much but did make one important save and one important challenge
Leonard - 7, getting back to normal, but not in his best position
White - 7, slotted in comfortably in the middle of defence, got his head on lots
Prosser - 7, solid, typical Luke performance
Williams - 6, looked more comfortable once Weston came on strangely!
Worrall - 7, improved over the game, challenged and battled well, and desperately unlucky not to win a penalty
Timlin - 8, MOTM, one of the best and most consistent passers of the ball we have
Deegan - 6, going off the boil, can't see a place for him in the team
Atkinson - 6, not a winger and certainly not a left winger
Barnard - 7, never stopped battling, unlucky to be subbed
Corr - 6, looked better once Barney went off

Subs:
Weston for Barnard - 4, words fail me
Payne for Atkinson - 6, not on long enough to have an effect

Officials:
Just shocking.

TBV:
A word of praise for them today, the kept going and Scott tried desperately to get more involved. Well done lads.
Did you miss the woeful attempt at a header back to Bentley in the first half that left their player clean through?! Never felt the need to post before but that's laughable.

Last edited:
At least three reasons why Brown does not seem to be the man to take us forwards.

1. Too negative, takes off Barnard who was working hard as a striker and brings on Weston who immediately dropped into a midfield role making it 4 5 1 and inviting Bury to push forward even more in their search for an equaliser.

2. His permanent signings are pretty dreadful. He signs three centre backs who are so poor that he ends up with a right back playing at centre half!

3. Poor team selection. We are crying out for goals so he starts the game with Timlin, Atkinson, Deegan and Worrell as the midfield four who each score about one goal in about twenty-five games.

Clueless !!!

Brown's squad are quality (for this level) and something is obviously seriously amiss. Ron has a big decision to make, sooner rather than later, but this whole scenario is looking like PB's time on the Essex Riviera may well be drawing to a close.

Agree with this, but promotion will never happen, whilst PB continues with his negative tactics.

Is it as CP would say, a 'shrimpers moan' day or am I detecting a sea-change in attitude to PB, following today's performance?

Of course there will be a reaction. Useless forwards, dodgy central defence, a midfield that never looked like scoring. Our manager once again tactically outgunned by opposition manager. Is it worth paying around 20 quid plus expenses to see un-entertaining football and see One shot on target?

At least three reasons why Brown does not seem to be the man to take us forwards.

1. Too negative, takes off Barnard who was working hard as a striker and brings on Weston who immediately dropped into a midfield role making it 4 5 1 and inviting Bury to push forward even more in their search for an equaliser.

2. His permanent signings are pretty dreadful. He signs three centre backs who are so poor that he ends up with a right back playing at centre half!

3. Poor team selection. We are crying out for goals so he starts the game with Timlin, Atkinson, Deegan and Worrell as the midfield four who each score about one goal in about twenty-five games.

Clueless !!!

In fairness, whilst I may not disagree too much about points 1 & 3, there are injury issues with our centre backs. Mads obviously out and Thompson & Bolger both not fully fit. (although one has to question why they were both named on the bench?) I went on relentlessly last season about our weakness in central defence.......until Sokolik and Egan were brought in. Unfortunately any option this season appears light years away from that pairing.

He never over laps, he offers little going forward and I think he waste possession a fair but. I don't think he is the most pressing problem we have but I think he is someone we need to replace to become a top side.

No Dave, I'm not having that, how many assists has he had from over-lapping and pressing forward?! You've not seen much of it lately because the bloody midfield has been poor in front of him!

Did you miss the woeful attempt at a header back to Bentley in the first half that left their player clean through?! Never felt the need to post before but that's laughable.

He made a mistake. Ok, I get that. Corr makes loads of mistakes every game but people never pick up on him, do they?

For me, several things need sorting. Tactics and formation. We need to play 442 and we need to be on the attack. That is what we are good at, and that is how we can start winning games again.

it all seemed to start so well...

Glad we finally had BBBC and Barney up front together, it looked more balanced from the outset and both of them were causing trouble and creating space for people to sneak through.

i can completely see why White was played in the middle alongside Prosser, I personally don't think that the Thomson /Prosser pairing works, and I think that Thomson is still making too many schoolboy errors. Not that he can't do a decent job, I just think he needs an old hand like a Barratt or Cresswell alongside him. The big issue with this is moving Lenny into right back, he did well, but he is much better in midfield.

Timlin and Deegan both worked hard, but between them are about as creative as my cat. Worrall impressed again, but was the single creative outlet.

Then we scored. At long last! I thought that finally, PB had seen some sense and would stick with 442. But no, we sat back and it went rapidly downhill.

Firstly, Barney came off, going back to 451, which I really don't think works at all, and worse unbalancing the front line. From being no 1 troublemaker, Barry was immediately no longer able to make any impact, and the overcrowded midfielders looked completely clueless for the next 10 minutes, and inevitably conceded. The other substitution was a bit pointless after this because we were totally on the back foot.

then the referee didn't give what to me was the most blatant penalty I have seen for a long time.

We should have won today, and we threw away 2 points again. It is relegation form, and we don't look like promotion contenders at the moment. The answer is staring us in the face, go back to 442, play Barry and Barney up front together, get Lenny back into midfield and do something about the central defence. It really isn't that hard to work out how to fix this.

For me, several things need sorting. Tactics and formation. We need to play 442 and we need to be on the attack. That is what we are good at, and that is how we can start winning games again.

it all seemed to start so well...

Glad we finally had BBBC and Barney up front together, it looked more balanced from the outset and both of them were causing trouble and creating space for people to sneak through.

i can completely see why White was played in the middle alongside Prosser, I personally don't think that the Thomson /Prosser pairing works, and I think that Thomson is still making too many schoolboy errors. Not that he can't do a decent job, I just think he needs an old hand like a Barratt or Cresswell alongside him. The big issue with this is moving Lenny into right back, he did well, but he is much better in midfield.

Timlin and Deegan both worked hard, but between them are about as creative as my cat. Worrall impressed again, but was the single creative outlet.

Then we scored. At long last! I thought that finally, PB had seen some sense and would stick with 442. But no, we sat back and it went rapidly downhill.

Firstly, Barney came off, going back to 451, which I really don't think works at all, and worse unbalancing the front line. From being no 1 troublemaker, Barry was immediately no longer able to make any impact, and the overcrowded midfielders looked completely clueless for the next 10 minutes, and inevitably conceded. The other substitution was a bit pointless after this because we were totally on the back foot.

then the referee didn't give what to me was the most blatant penalty I have seen for a long time.

We should have won today, and we threw away 2 points again. It is relegation form, and we don't look like promotion contenders at the moment. The answer is staring us in the face, go back to 442, play Barry and Barney up front together, get Lenny back into midfield and do something about the central defence. It really isn't that hard to work out how to fix this.
Spot on.....never thought i would say this but Brown is on a par with Alvin Martin.........just as bloody useless!

First half was the most I have ever seen hit it long. Desperation from brown. Trouble is, why does brown feel we have to do that if playing 4-4-2?

The odd mistake aside, other than Williams and perhaps Deegan I thought everyone played ok, but the tactics made it difficult to get the win.

The right sub would have been to bring on shaq for barney about 10 minutes earlier. Barney was playing well, but Bury were leaving 2 on 2 and shaqs pace would have pushed them back up the pitch. But we surely had to stay 4-4-2. Incidentally that formation won 2-0 against 4-5-1 today. Maybe statto brown could remember that if we have to endure him being in charge for another week.

Ron normally does his sacking on a Sunday and his unveiling on a Monday.... Let's see if he has someone lined up

This must be a joke. White nearly gifted them the lead in the first few minutes and he was an inept as a centre back as he is as a full back. I think he is one if the first players we should be looking to replace.

Can't help but agree. Not the most vocal of captains but last season his solid performances made up for that. This year he hasn't got going at all. Struggles one on one, he is not cutting out crosses enough as full back and doesn't deal with the physical side of the game as well as he did before his shoulder injury last year. We're in need of a captain on the pitch and I fear the White from last season has gone. A concern for me at the minute.

Bentley – 7 Generally OK and rescued White in the first half after his woeful back-header. Would be 8 apart from an awful throw out to a Bury player!
Leonard – 6 An emergency right back, but certainly not really at home there.
White - 7, Generally OK but one moment of sloppiness should have gifted Bury a goal.
Prosser - 7, Did what you want from him, solid, no frills
Williams – 5 All over the place first half, confidence shot. Better second half.
Worrall - 7, Good display, should have won a penalty but allowed himself/was instructed to play too deep second half.
Timlin - 7 Worked hard to good effect but tired over the last 15 mins
Deegan - 6, Not suited to 4-4-2. Will he be offered a longer contract?
Atkinson - 6, Not suited to left wing, just couldn’t get round Bury’s full back.
Barnard - 7, Worked his socks off but clearly the ref didn’t like him
Corr - 7, scored (almost worth a 10 these days), worked hard and is our best (only) target man
Subs:
Weston for Barnard – 6 Still falls to pieces in front of goal
Payne for Atkinson - 6, Didn’t have long but didn’t do anything to make you think he should have been on earlier.

It’s sad when we can’t win a game after playing pretty crap football for 35 minutes or so yet find ourselves 1-0 up. It was hard with Bury packing 5 in midfield and showing no attacking intent but we gave them hope with kamikaze passing in our own half and Bentley had to make a cracking save/dive at the forward’s feet to stop us going 1-0 down after White’s suicidal back-header … and then wow we find ourselves 1-0 up. The Bury players’ heads were down, it wasn’t their day and with memories of a 5-0 humiliation fresh in their minds they were there for the taking. But no, instead of going for the jugular, kicking a man when he’s down etc, it was, as everyone here saw and has said, it was a case of let’s try and hold on to this. The short corner time wasting just before half time sent a real message to Bury … we’re scared.

Second half was embarrassing tactically. Worrall, our most potent threat again, was almost playing as a second right back. We invited Bury to come at us and with their change in players/formation they duly obliged and scored. Then at last we pressed forward but still didn’t create any real chances. Apart of course from the stonewall penalty. I had a perfect view of it in the West Stand … nearly as good as the referee’s so-called assistant. Bad, bad decision …. but about on a par with our tactics after we went 1-0 up.

A couple of observations. Deegan is a good player in a formation where he plays just in front of the defence and breaks things up but as one of two central midfielders in 4-4-2 … no. Was Clifford injured, not even on the bench? Also, young Williams was clearly having a torrid time in the first half …. important word – young. So what did his teammates do …. yell at him. He needed encouragement from his captain, not earfuls of criticism.

Normally I’d have come away today furious that an awful decision by the officials has cost us three points … but sadly I think we got exactly what we deserved.

i'm normally one to look on the bright side but too many negatives today
White......if I have to endure another 90 minutes of him hoofing the ball aimlessly I May gouge my eyes out
Williams......at least a dozen great opportunities to cross today and not one half decent one.
Deegan may as well have had a bury shirt on just awful today
Weston.......toilet
Couple of positives corr scored....Worrall played well...but faded....Barney worked his nuts off

It's the final third that is the problem imo too many poor Crosses, no killer passes, lack of pace and general goal threat.
Also noticed a lot of people saying this squad should be getting promotion.....I beg to differ...over rated.....some clever work needed in January not least a dynamic right back who looks to play footy.....one maybe two new wingers and that elusive goal scorer

My daughter in law came to the game today (an Arsenal fan) and a Southend United Supporter too. Half way through the 1st half she said to me that in her opinion it looked as though the players had only just met each other, and didn't know what to do! She won't be coming back any time soon.

It seemed to me that just because we had two up front, it was an excuse to punt the ball long and hope. Barny and Corr huffed and puffed but did nothing really. Playing Atkinson, Deegan and Timlin (all defensive minded players) together in midfield is idiotic imo. Equally idiotic is having last season's supporters player of the season (an award which he won playing in midfield) at right back! What a waste, especially as there were defenders available on the bench.

To have one shot on target (the goal) at home is criminal and will not encourage the attendance to be maintained let alone grow.
What the hell do they do in training, no idea on set pieces, no idea going forward?

Bentley - 6, didn't have much to do but did save us when their player was through after John White's mistake
Leonard - 7, Should not be in this position
White - 6, slotted in comfortably in the middle of defence, but deducted one point for lack of captains influence
Prosser - 7, solid, typical Luke performance
Williams - 5, Sorry but not good enough yet
Worrall - 8, our only real threat
Timlin - 8, MOTM, one of the best and most consistent players we have
Deegan - 6, ultra defensive and passes backwards and sideways only, wastes opportunities of quick counter attacks
Atkinson - 6, not a winger and also puts negativity 1st.
Barnard - 6, never stopped working but is seriously lacking at the moment.
Corr - 7, as Barnard comments but one point extra for the goal

Subs:
Weston for Barnard - 4, not good enough
Payne for Atkinson - 6, not on long enough

Performance: Shocking

Brown: inept

Browns post match comments: Pathetic and delusionary

Officials:
Awful.

Correct me if I'm wrong but we won three games in a row earlier in the season with both Clifford and Payne in the side? Connors absence is baffling. Too many sideways merchants in the team.

I genuinely don't know where to start with that. I am disgusted. Phil Brown and Phil Brown only cost us 3 points in that match.

Now I will be the first to admit that we were not brilliant in the first half. It was all a bit scrappy and there were a few too many aimless hoofs forward. But we were comfortable and not once did Bury ever look like they were going to threaten. Yet you could see the players immediately start sitting back on the lead. Instead of going for the jugular and opening up a bigger lead against what, up until that point, had been very poor quality opposition, we have a situation where Timlin and Worrall are playing a short corner and trying to hold the ball down there 2 minutes before half-time! I couldn't believe what I was watching.

It got worse after half-time. From the 50th minute, White was watching the ball go out of play by the corner flag for a goal-kick to us and leaving it there for a ball boy to trundle over and return it to Bentley. And then Bentley making a point continually of walking to the opposite side of the goal from where the ball went out to take his goal kick. Timewasting in the 50th minute!

What in the name of sweet Jesus is that idiot saying to them at half-time? Bury are there for the taking, all he had to do was tell them to keep the pressure up and turn the screw after half-time.....but they did the opposite. So now we'll have a situation where some of the more short-sighted fans will start blaming the failure to hold a lead today on the lack of goals or the 4-4-2 system which we began the game with (a system which will come good with Corr and Barnard up top if it is persevered with) when in reality, it is clearly down to something that he is saying to them before the match (“get the first goal and sit on it”) or at half-time (“now you're 1-0 up, take it easy and see the game out”).

It is made all the more infuriating to hear him in his post-match interview saying “we knew Bury would come back into the game second half and we tried to tighten things up a little bit at half-time to counter that”. Sorry, but what sodding aspect of Bury's woeful first half display gave you any sort of impression that they would come back into the game? The only way they were ever going to work their way back into it is if you allowed them to do so with your half-time team talk and tactical tweaks you stupid, inept *******. What football manager worth his salt honestly makes that kind of prediction when 1-0 up and in control after 45 minutes at home against one of the poorest sides we've seen this season? He's made tactical tweaks at half-time to counter something which hasn't happened yet and allowed them to come back into the game. Go for the fecking jugular and try to create a 2-or-3 goal buffer. If Bury still come out, manage to move into the ascendency and put our slender lead under threat despite Southend still throwing men forward and attacking then fair enough, react to it and try to protect it. You can't make changes and base your half-time team talk on something which is showing no signs of happening, but he's done exactly that and plunged his team into a situation where its lead IS under threat.

We may even have been able to hold on despite the tactical tweaks and half-time team talk, but the final nail in the coffin was the decision to haul Barnard off for Weston and switch to a negative 4-5-1 set-up. From the moment that change happened, the ball stopped sticking up front like it had in the first half due to the fact that Corr/Weston (whichever of the 2 chose to be the one player to stay forward at the time) was isolated up top alone and we had lost the energy and the ball-retention skills of Barnard. We put 10 men behind the ball and straight away invited a pressure onto our own goal which was never there before and had shown no signs of appearing. The old man and I turned to each other as soon as that change was made and said “that's it, we'll either cling onto a 1-0 win by the skin of our teeth or it'll finish 1-1,” because as soon as that change is made you know that Phil Brown ain't looking for any more goals. From that point on I pretty much switched off because I knew the equaliser was now going to come. The goal and the free-kick which led to it would never have happened if he had kept things as they were but the Bury pressure, the panic in our defence and the three successive corners that Bury forced, all the result of that substitution and negative change in shape and mentality, told you exactly what was around the corner.

Of course, as anyone could have predicted, the tired excuses came out in the post-match conference and the first words which came out of his mouth were about the referee, the penalty and the fact that they cost us the game. I'm sure many of our less-observant fans will fall for you hiding behind that excuse too but sorry mate, forget the non-penalty because YOU cost us that win and should never have put your players into a position where they needed to be awarded a late penalty to get the 3 points.

As an aside, there have been plenty of stonewall penalties not given and shocking refereeing performances over the years but it's a long long time since I've seen our players react to a decision like that. Is that frustration with their manager boiling over on the pitch? I can't see how the changes he made in the second half, the clear difference they made to the shape and mentality of the team, and the fact that we conceded a goal minutes later will help the players' confidence in El Tango and it already looks like he's lost them a little bit. There certainly seems to be something more deeply and fundamentally wrong than just the “lack of a goalscorer”.

Either way, he's certainly lost my confidence. The old man reckons he's the worst football manager we've had since Dick Bate. He might not be far wrong. The Alvin Martin and Alan Little days may have been dark ones but those two never had the quality available to them that this clueless idiot has. This group of players has the collective quality to be fighting at the top end but they are continually being blunted by a manager who is tactically inept and has no idea how to get the best out of them. I think the players themselves know this too and IMO this frustration is showing in their body language and even more so in their reaction to the non-penalty today. There is a total lack of confidence among, and maybe that is to blame for ridiculous time wasting in the corner before half time and at our own goal kicks after 50 minutes (although I'd say it's more likely Brown's instructions), but it is our own manager who has drained the players of confidence with his negative tactics and formations, his chopping and changing of the starting line-up, and his ludicrous substitutions. He needs to go.

Cut your losses Ron.

Post of the year

Ok now I've broken my posting duck and been put in my place by OBL I might as well give my ratings.

Bentley - 7 Great save first half
Leonard - 6 Reasonable performance but wasted at RB, got to be in midfield IMO
White - 5 bad error in the first half, otherwise ok, should be RB, has Thompson been that bad?
Prosser - 6 Solid enough, missing having a regular partner at CB
B Williams - 4 Poor all round, gave possession away too much and terrible crossing when in god positions
Worrall - 8 I was impressed, full of energy, always positive, one of the only plus points and should have had a pen
Deegan 5 - Can't fault his work rate but he was poor on the ball
Timlin - 7 Worked hard, full of energy and kept possession well
Atkinson - 6 Again couldn't fault his work rate but nothing seemed to come off for him
Corr - 6 Got the goal and won his fair share of headers
Barnard - 6 Chased everything down well but nothing really came off

Subs

Weston 5 - One chance to have a shot was wasted by being too hesitant, never going to be a striker he should play wide or not at all.

Payne 5 - Tried maybe too hard to make an impact, sometimes he need play the simple ball.

To be fair I don't think anyone other than perhaps Williams had a complete shocker yet we still only managed one shot on target, Brown needs to rethink his safety first philosophy or go now. Out of 15 games we've only scored more than 1 on 3 occasions, that's not good enough and is hardly going to inspire wavering supporters to attend.

Back