• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

1 minute till half time, centre halfs in the box and we hold the ball up from our corner. If a team had done that against us there would be a diatribe against them on here. For Timlin to hold up 1 finger to the shout of 'just get it over, shows his mentality. Truly embarrassing.

I thought it was a fair enough reaction to be honest! Why not try and protect what you have when you're just a blink of an eye away from half time?! Great name, by the way!

I thought it was a fair enough reaction to be honest! Why not try and protect what you have when you're just a blink of an eye away from half time?! Great name, by the way!

Are you serious? I have never in my life seen a team take the ball into the corner at the end of the first half. Shocking football

Are you serious? I have never in my life seen a team take the ball into the corner at the end of the first half. Shocking football
Stop asking me if I am serious!!! It happened, we all saw it. Knowing our predictable knack of conceding just before half time, I'd rather they did this than do that!

Nope sorry, I had never seen a Southend team do that in the first half before yesterday and I never want to see it again. It is unbelievably negative at the best of times, let alone against a team who we were comfortable against at that point and who had shown absolutely no sign of getting an equaliser thus far. I can't believe anyone would accept watching that, how ludicrous.

Stop asking me if I am serious!!! It happened, we all saw it. Knowing our predictable knack of conceding just before half time, I'd rather they did this than do that!

We haven't conceded in the ten minutes before half time at home all season.

Barrie Corr - mostly completely static, not mobile enough, no speed ...

Timlin - bit of a show pony -

Weston - cannot finish -

Phil Brown .... did you read his programme notes ? On his knees begging RM - looking like a poor mans Allardyce

Weston - cannot finish -

Phil Brown .... did you read his programme notes ? On his knees begging RM - looking like a poor mans Allardyce

Can anyone give me the gist of his comments?

First game of the season for me so can't properly compare the performance to others this season, but these were my thoughts:

Bentley - I didn't have a great view of their goal so can't comment but did everything you could ask apart from that, including the one on one which probably would have meant a defeat had the guy scored.
White - Too many times went for the long punt upfield when under no pressure at all. Maybe a Brown instruction? Very frustrating.
Prosser - steady as ever at the back, no nonsense, does the job. Again don't know if he was to blame at all for the goal as I was too far away and at pitch level.
Leonard - Did ok but why is he being wasted at right-back when the midfield is crying out for a bit of creativity?
The big lad with the complicated name at left-back - Surely he's usually better than that?
Atkinson - Gives it everything even if it doesn't always come off, he's a battler & we need those at the moment.
Deegan - I know many have said good things about him but pretty average for me on Saturday.
Worrall - MoM for me. Never wasted possession, always wanted the ball & tried to make things happen. Wonder why he's not been playing much? Looked a nailed on pen.
Timlin - Bit annonymous from my perspective but still coming back from injury so needs to be given time.
Corr - Needed the goal for confidence but does a lot more besides, had a good game I thought.
Barney - Funny one. Obviously lost the scoring touch he had when here before, but tried his nuts off and at times you can see glimpses of the quality that's in there somewhere. maybe just needs the preverbial lucky goal off his backside to open the floodgates. At the moment absolutely nothing is falling for him.

All in all a typical 'low on confidence' performance. Need a result from somewhere to get going again. should be good enough for the playoffs again, think top 3 is a pipe-dream.

Just had an interesting chat with a guy at work who was at the game due to getting free tickets from his daughters school. He isn't a Southend fan and hasn't been to a game for a very long time so doesn't know what's currently going on. Without any prompt from me his observations were:

1) Too many balls pumped upfield by the CB's
2) Never seen a team play the ball into the corner before half time
3) As soon as the 1st sub was made and we went to 4-5-1, it allowed the Bury full backs to push up the wings and Southend started defending deeper. This bought on un-neccessary pressure before we conceded

Observations from a neutral fan. #Justsaying

Just had an interesting chat with a guy at work who was at the game due to getting free tickets from his daughters school. He isn't a Southend fan and hasn't been to a game for a very long time so doesn't know what's currently going on. Without any prompt from me his observations were:

3) As soon as the 1st sub was made and we went to 4-5-1, it allowed the Bury full backs to push up the wings and Southend started defending deeper. This bought on un-neccessary pressure before we conceded

Think your mate and Phil Brown have something in common.

I think the long ball to corrs head was indirectly a command from brown. The centre backs weren't left with much option when the central midfield are standing 5 yards in front of them and not making themselves available for the ball. This is where the intelligence of Clifford shone through earlier in the season. He ca me and got the ball from the back line and used it simply and wisely.

Weston - cannot finish -

Talking of programme notes, did anyone else notice that on Page 47 it had away travel details for Newport City. Only trouble is that we had already played them earlier in the week so it shouldn't have been in the programme at all and also, they are not City but County! Just about sums us up at the moment!

Talking of programme notes, did anyone else notice that on Page 47 it had away travel details for Newport City. Only trouble is that we had already played them earlier in the week so it shouldn't have been in the programme at all and also, they are not City but County! Just about sums us up at the moment!

Perhaps Brown wrote that column.It's about as good as his tactics

Im pretty sure that happened because Brown told them to.

Back