• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brown stay or go?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ashingdon shrimper

Youth Team
After this continued lacklustre display of football and the continued negative management decision to play a defensive game after going 1 nil up. Brown to stay or to go?

Any decent manager needs no more that two years to get a side promoted from this division. He's had his chance - this side will not get promoted. The players he signed in the summer are no better than the ones we had, hence no one knows what the best starting 11 is - he doesn't and nor do I - we don't have 11 stand out players - only Bentley is guaranteed a place - the rest is perm any 10 from 20. I suspect the players are totally confused now as well all the chopping and changing. He has lost the plot and someone else needs to come in and give us some direction -hopefully forward!

I like stability at the club. We had a long period of that under Tilson and a rather shorter period under Luggy. During both those times I felt the club was in managerially safe hands. Yes, there were moments when both the above got criticism for their style of play, selections or use of substitutions but there still appeared a kind of empathy that passed between players, managers and fans during that period. Both Paul Sturrock and Steve Tilson had a kind of diffedence and discretion that I found endearing. It was almost as though the club was family run affair (let's exclude Ron here). With Phil Brown it feels more like we have moved into the hands of a venture capitalist (here, we can include Ron). He is here emphatically to get results and gives the air of being a little arrogant and haughty......I don't find the softness of either Sturrock or Tilson and I'm not drawn to like the bloke personally. So, with Brown, it's all down to results and if they are not forthcoming, the fall out of grace will be rather more rapid and vitriolic than his recent predecessors, as there isn't particularly the 'nice guy' factor to fall back on. The tide (amongst supporters) seems to turning rather rapidly and Brown needs to remedy things sooner than later (if he is capable), otherwise he risks being swept away by a wave.

I like stability at the club. We had a long period of that under Tilson and a rather shorter period under Luggy. During both those times I felt the club was in managerially safe hands. Yes, there were moments when both the above got criticism for their style of play, selections or use of substitutions but there still appeared a kind of empathy that passed between players, managers and fans during that period. Both Paul Sturrock and Steve Tilson had a kind of diffedence and discretion that I found endearing. It was almost as though the club was family run affair (let's exclude Ron here). With Phil Brown it feels more like we have moved into the hands of a venture capitalist (here, we can include Ron). He is here emphatically to get results and gives the air of being a little arrogant and haughty......I don't find the softness of either Sturrock or Tilson and I'm not drawn to like the bloke personally. So, with Brown, it's all down to results and if they are not forthcoming, the fall out of grace will be rather more rapid and vitriolic than his recent predecessors, as there isn't particularly the 'nice guy' factor to fall back on. The tide (amongst supporters) seems to turning rather rapidly and Brown needs to remedy things sooner than later (if he is capable), otherwise he risks being swept away by a wave.

Excellent post.:thumbsup:

Six games to turn things around. I wonder whether the fifth and sixth games, Wycombe (top three) and Burton at home (top three and our nemesis of last season) are going to prove pivotal. No improvement by then and I feel Ron's Christmas card may have an attatchment.

If he survived 15 odd games without a win then he can survive this. If he signed a decent striker then everything would change, there isn't that much that is fundamentally wrong. His tactics and team selections have been questionable but hard to argue that we would have scored a lot more if they were spot on.

Any decent manager needs no more that two years to get a side promoted from this division.

Imagine if we could get a manager who could not just get us out this division but also win league 1. That manager would be a genius right?

Having supported Brown 100% this season and defended him against others calls for him to go i've had enough of this *****. He has lost the plot big time, question is who could do a better job ? Is it realistic for Tilson to return given his very public fall out with RM ? He could get better performances out of this squad I am sure and would be a cheap solution until the end of the season.

Having supported Brown 100% this season and defended him against others calls for him to go i've had enough of this *****. He has lost the plot big time, question is who could do a better job ? Is it realistic for Tilson to return given his very public fall out with RM ? He could get better performances out of this squad I am sure and would be a cheap solution until the end of the season.

More chance of Peter Taylor coming back I would have thought.But why would he want to?

My concern is that team selction/tactics is becoming increasingly erratic and desperate. I've never been a Brown fan, but until now he's had a style and a plan which has been reasonably effective. I don't understand what his thought process has been in the last 6 games or so.

My concern is that team selction/tactics is becoming increasingly erratic and desperate. I've never been a Brown fan, but until now he's had a style and a plan which has been reasonably effective. I don't understand what his thought process has been in the last 6 games or so.
I think its evident the players don't understand either

I saw Steve Tilson in the Tesco at Tarpots yesterday on my way back from the match.

I took it as a sign.

Personally I'd be more than happy to get him back. He'd surely jump at the chance.

I believe that RM would be mighty concerned about what PB would have to say in the media if he ever was to sack him given all the media work and contacts that PB already has.

His silence may prove costly in terms of any severance package.

Bit of a catch 22 for RM.

I can't take any more of this negativity. The manager doesn't know his best 11, we have good players and the manager's tactics stifle them.

Time's up. Go.

I do hope Ron pays attention to this forum, especially as he was due to be offering Brown a 4 year deal the other week. I know it's his club and he can effectively do what he wants, but he'll be up **** creek without a paddle if he doesn't get bums on seats and attendances are already dropping. Was a nice day yesterday and we had 5,100 with 200+ from Bury. That's about 4,900 that turned up yesterday, which is well down from what we were getting.

Guess it's not only posters on here who are fed up with his negative, clueless football.

Paul Clark and Glenn Pennyfather as manager and assistant. David Crown as part-time striker coach. Oh the dreams!:smile:

Go for me. He's lost the plot.

He has no clue what his best team is; he constantly chops and changes things; he isn't using a squad which is good enough for a promotion battle to its fullest potential; he makes bizarre substitutions and changes to the shape and mentality when there is no need to during games; he appears to be tactically inept; he is in complete denial in his post-match interviews, either because he's gone insane or because he's too arrogant to admit that he is at fault; he has drained the confidence of his players and they look frustrated at the way they are being asked to play.

Has anyone noticed that when we score a goal, it's Coughlan who the players run to and jump on when they score a goal? He's served almost 4 years as assistant/first-team coach and the players respect him. Maybe he could get more out of them.

Either way, Brown has to go for me because I think he's lost it and is unlikely to get it back.

Back