• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brown stay or go?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I like stability, but Brown doesn't provide us with it.

Are we playing one up front or two? Are we playing a diamond? Is White a right-back or a centre-back? Is Atkinson playing left-wing, right-wing, centre-mid or not at all? Is Leonard playing right-back or centre-mid?

What's becoming clear is that Brown doesn't know his best XI or his best formation and is just hoping to stumble upon a combination that might work.

This is his third bite at promotion and we don't appear to be getting any closer.

His first attempt he took over as a full-blown injury crisis was finally clearing up and we were 6 points behind Rotherham then in 7th, who ended up 2nd. Bradford who were two places and a point behind us, with an inferior goal difference (albeit with a game in hand) went up via the play-offs.

His second attempt he had a chance to assemble his own squad, had one of the most injury free seasons I can remember, yet finished below where we did in 2011-12 and we didn't do anything in the play-offs.

This is his third attempt. Whilst in charge he's now signed 5 forwards plus another 2 kids (Reid, Cowan, Barnard, Coulthirst, Weston plus Brown, Layne) without any of the 5 looking remotely the answer and the kids not getting a look in. Why do people think a 8th or 9th would be any more successful? This is on top of Corr (who he re-signed) and Harris, Benyon, Mohsni, Eastwood who he released and Tomlin who opted to go elsewhere. At what stage is not about the individual player?

He's been given money in the transfer market, but that player can't even make the starting XI and has a player playing out of position ahead of him. So why do people think that giving him a bigger transfer budget would work?

He's signed 3 central midfielders, and 4 central defenders yet each time he signs one it seems to displace another one of his signings with the core (or should that be Corr) of our side still the Sturrock signed spine of Prosser/Timlin/Corr with the Sturrock blooded youngsters of Bentley and Leonard our most valuable assets.

There are a couple of knocks (which is always the case) but I think the only first team player out at the moment is Coker, otherwise he's had everyone available, so we can't blame injuries and suspensions.

As far as I'm aware the players have been paid on time and we're not under an embargo.

So it's not that he's inherited a squad, it's not that he hasn't had money in the transfer budget, it's not that we've had injuries, it's not that the players haven't been paid. I'm beginning to run out of excuses as to why we're regressing rather than progressing.
Good post, summed up my recent feelings. Maybe the players are getting conflicting input from Brown and Penney. To be fair to the manager, the players are well below par. Hurst was poor towards end of last season and is lacking the ability to take defenders on or shoot and has not improved. I give up on Corr, probably past his best after injuries and weak back. Barnard also lacks confidence to make things happen. Leonard is way below his performance of last season.
We have not replaced Straker with anything better. Connor is improved, but Atkinson is a shadow of last season. Our defence is unsettled by injuries and constant changes.
Teams facing us currently must have no fears because we are so weak in hitting the target, and poor at holding the ball in midfield.
A run of 5 without losing may pick us up again, but would not bet on it. How is the team that got results last month so poor this month?

Why not??? Takes us from Division 2 to the Championship. Better players, bigger attendances, higher win ratio, loves the club etc.

Great, memorable period in our history..............but that's what is........history. Yes, Mourinho reurned to Chelsea but his career didn't exactly fade away when he left them the first time. Sadly, that can't be said of Tilly's career after leaving us. Bringing back Tilson (not that he would come or indeed be invited back) would probably be a bigger disaster than Freddy's return. We need to look to the future and not the past.

Why not??? Takes us from Division 2 to the Championship. Better players, bigger attendances, higher win ratio, loves the club etc.

Right, because that makes you a good manager. He's a Leeds fan for the record.

Brush was the brains behind that operation. Look at where they both are now...

But this isn't the time or place for that debate. Again!

I'd want a NEW manager to take us forward, not running back crying to an ex!

Review at Christmass

I was going to say that by Xmas our chances of promotion could be over, but the way this league is going at present, everyone is dropping points, going on winning runs and loosing streaks, so perhaps for the sake of stability I will agree with you Steve, but NO longer.
We have a glut of midfielders, perhaps a luxury we could do without, as Brown does not appear to know his best combination and the constant chopping and changing is doing us no good. Pick 4 and barring injuries give them a run together, a chance to gel, and ALWAYS 2 up front.

6 games to correct things sounds about right for me. People obsess over having 20 goal striker, it's far more important to get goals from around the team and we're not doing that as we did last year, and we're not keeping clean sheets either which is important to Brown's style.

Personally I think we need to play Corr, Worrall & Payne every game, and would like to see Isaac Layne given a chance from the bench. Also want to see Ibenfeldt given a run when he is fit (how long is he out for?).

Maybe we should be looking for a loanee or two to give us a boost.

Whilst I am also getting increasingly frustrated with Brown's team selections and tactics I don't think we are at the stage yet where we should consider getting rid of him. We are only one point off of a play off place with just under a third of the season played, this hardly amounts to a crisis. Last season we went 13 games without a victory yet Brown managed to turn things round so I don't see the current blip as being a terminal decline. Had a penalty been converted at Newport and one given yesterday that should've been then things would be looking much different, these are very fine margins.

I think that Brown needs to make some changes to the starting eleven to improve things - these include bringing in a decent central defender in on loan (we got three in last year), bringing more attack minded midfielders in such as Payne, Clifford and Leonard, and playing with two up front so that a partnership can be formed and more of a goal threat posed.

I saw Tilly in the car park before the Morecambe game and leaving following the Exeter City game, so he still comes to watch Southend. Coming back as manager however? As much as I loved him as a player and when he was in charge, I think it is unlikely to happen and to be honest, hope that it doesn't.

That was then and this is now and better to look to the future with a new man rather than regress into the past once more.

I saw Steve Tilson in the Tesco at Tarpots yesterday on my way back from the match.

I took it as a sign.

Personally I'd be more than happy to get him back. He'd surely jump at the chance.

I see him on a regular basis, he seems happy in what he is doing and a lot less stressed.

More chance of Peter Taylor coming back I would have thought.But why would he want to?
When Steve Thompson took over from Peter Taylor he did a little tinkering bought in a reserve forward and took a team that was doomed to a team that played great football .

i said my thoughts on PB earlier ,what i will say now is unless the results improve dramatically in the next few weeks leading up too Xmas ,im sure PB will be looking over his shoulder to see what size boots RM is wearing, my advice to PB stick a couple of flexible books down yer pants mate to cushion the impact.:smile:

Our next 4 league games are against teams at the wrong end of the table. We face Mansfield (17th position), Hartlepool (24th), Tranmere (23rd) and Northampton (18th). Unless there is a big improvement in those 4 games then i'd get rid and bring someone else in. That would give the new manager a month to assess the squad before the January transfer window opens.

PB has made a real mess of the last 5 games. He has no idea what his best XI is or how to set them up tactically. His substitutions and the tactical changes he makes during the game never seem to turn a game in our favour, in fact they often hand the initiative to the opposition. The players seem confused out on the pitch and most of them appear to have no confidence at all (especially our strikers). I don't mind having a negative manager if we are winning a lot of games 1-0, but it seems if we can't keep a clean sheet then we have no Plan B. I honestly believe we have a really talented group of players here, we have real strength in depth and to have taken 2 points out of the last 15 available is extremely disappointing. We have thrown away so many points against poor opposition, it's massively frustrating to watch and we really should be so much higher in the league table. Unless we see a big improvement in the next month or so then it may be time for PB to move on.

Last edited:
Our next 4 league games are against teams at the wrong end of the table. We face Mansfield (17th position), Hartlepool (24th), Tranmere (23rd) and Northampton (18th). Unless there is a big improvement in those 4 games then i'd get rid and bring someone else in. That would give the new manager a month to assess the squad before the January transfer window opens.

PB has made a real mess of the last 5 games. He has no idea what his best XI is or how to set them up tactically. His substitutions and the tactical changes he makes during the game never seem to turn a game in our favour, in fact they often hand the initiative to the opposition. The players seem confused out on the pitch and most of them appear to have no confidence at all (especially our strikers). I don't mind having a negative manager if we are winning a lot of games 1-0, but it seems if we can't keep a clean sheet then we have no Plan B. I honestly believe we have a really talented group of players here, we have real strength in depth and to have taken 2 points out of the last 15 available is extremely disappointing. We have thrown away so many points against poor opposition, it's massively frustrating to watch and we really should be so much higher in the league table. Unless we see a big improvement in the next month or so then it may be time for PB to move on.

Absolutely agree with this.

Ooops - thought this was a thread about P.B. singing The Clash songs.

It's not - and for that reason I'm out.

Last edited:
I've voted 'give a little more time' but not sure how much different that is to 'stay' ?

Back