• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Was he there?

Short working day though if he had to get all the way over to Shrewsbury......................

Maybe, maybe not. He was in QPR at some point during the day, and most of his time will be spent travelling around and doing things via phone etc. I think people are getting a bit desperate to find every opportunity to find fault with PB. In the end, RM is happy with him even though he's underachieving at the moment - let's see what happens in the next game or two.

I was told by someone (Steve Lewis) that brown was scouting at QPR as "Arry" has given him the green light to loan young/fringe players... whether the player will drop to league to is another story

I think people could do with calming down a little bit. Disgraceful, really?

I've said several times that I think PB should have been there last night.

My point is that if he was working on 1st team activities all day then it isn't unreasonable that he isn't working in the evening. Yes like most people he has a job where you have to do long days, nights, more hours than contracted etc. I was just making the point that he can fill his spare time with media work if he wants.

Would people have been kicking off so much if he'd been chilling at home rather than on the radio?

Again - IMO he should have been there, but I don't think it's a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

I'd be just as annoyed to be honest.

I think people could do with calming down a little bit. Disgraceful, really?

I've said several times that I think PB should have been there last night.

My point is that if he was working on 1st team activities all day then it isn't unreasonable that he isn't working in the evening. Yes like most people he has a job where you have to do long days, nights, more hours than contracted etc. I was just making the point that he can fill his spare time with media work if he wants.

Would people have been kicking off so much if he'd been chilling at home rather than on the radio?

Again - IMO he should have been there, but I don't think it's a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

I wonder what Shrimperzoners' would have made of Ronnie Whelan's regular tactic of getting smashed in the pub a few times every week with several members of our 1st team when he was in the Southend hot seat?

I am sorry but I personally just don't agree.

When the Team is playing then how can this be 'spare time'?

If he was chilling at home then I would be equally annoyed as he should have been at the match.

We will have to agree to disagree on this......and by the way I am very calm.

I am sorry but I personally just don't agree.

When the Team is playing then how can this be 'spare time'?

If he was chilling at home then I would be equally annoyed as he should have been at the match.

We will have to agree to disagree on this......and by the way I am very calm.

It wasn't "the team" - it was the development squad with a 4 first team players/squad members playing.

Please tell me how that makes a difference?

Under normal circumstances the squad that played last night would have been purely the development squad. However due to various reasons he decided to give some first-teamers some minutes. It was still mainly a development squad and Coughlan was in charge (Not about selecting the squad, but in all other respects).

He physically can't be at every non-first team SUFC game (development, youth etc). He should have been there last night because of the emphasis he gave it and the fact that 4 first teamers were involved. However it wasn't a first team game.

I’m with Pubey on this one and think that a few people might be using this as an excuse to reinforce their anti-Phil stance. It is a development game and him not attending is no different to most managers. It may have been good PR to be there taking into account our recent form but I think people are overreacting.

Interesting range of differing views on here - thankfully with no abuse either when people disagree.

For what it's worth, I am not pro or anti PB - I just think that there is at the very least a moral obligation as Manager of the First Team that he should attend.

His message by not attending could be interpreted as 'if it's not important to me, then it's not important to anyone' and may explain such a poor performance.

I would feel the same whether we were unbeaten all season and top of the League.

Last night he was giving priority to one employer, BBC, over and above his main employer to whom he is contracted to. His example to the players is pretty appalling. He blatantly put BBC first and Southend Utd second.

Last night he was giving priority to one employer, BBC, over and above his main employer to whom he is contracted to. His example to the players is pretty appalling. He blatantly put BBC first and Southend Utd second.

He put the BBC above the development squad, who already are managed by Coughlan. Hardly the same.

Under normal circumstances the squad that played last night would have been purely the development squad. However due to various reasons he decided to give some first-teamers some minutes. It was still mainly a development squad and Coughlan was in charge (Not about selecting the squad, but in all other respects).

He physically can't be at every non-first team SUFC game (development, youth etc). He should have been there last night because of the emphasis he gave it and the fact that 4 first teamers were involved. However it wasn't a first team game.

Why talk an importance of a game up then not attend though?

I see on the OS that Phil will be at Papa Johns tomorrow at 1:30 , making pizza ( I kid you not )

Was that a direct quote?

First published Tuesday 28 October 2014 in Sport
by Chris Phillips

SOUTHEND United manager Phil Brown has urged his out of favour players to show they should be back in his first team when they line up against Harlow Town in the third round of the Essex Senior Cup tonight.

Cian Bolger, Conor Clifford, Jack Payne and Shaq Coulthirst have all been selected for the clash at Roots Hall, which kicks off at 7.45pm.

And Brown feels it is an important game for those involved.

“We’ve named a strong side and it’s a chance for them to put their hands up for selection at Mansfield Town this weekend,” said Brown.

“We asked our senior players who wanted to play and some of them took up that opportunity and some of them didn’t.

“But there are a few who need a game and it will do them good to get out there.

“Shaq Coulthirst was particularly keen to play and of course if they play well then they will be back in my thoughts for Saturday.”

Places in the side are up for grabs as Blues have not won in their last five games.

And Brown feels tonight’s cup clash will be more competitive than the development matches his fringe players normally play in.

“I think there will be more of an edge to this game and obviously it will be played under the lights at Roots Hall too so that will make it different for them too,” said Brown.

“We will also have a few young lads involved and we’re interested to see how they cope playing up against a men’s team.

“It could well help us decide which of them could benefit from being sent out on loan at this stage of their career.”

Because he trusts his colleagues?

For the 1000000th time, I think Brown should have been there. The only reason for that IMO is because of the message it sends out to the fringe players - he's saying that it's important for them if they want to be in his mind for Saturday, but then he didn't show up. However in the grand scheme of things (plus fringe players not playing particularly well, development players nowhere near) it's not the end of the world like some people are making it out to be. I don't think he will have changed much in terms of his potential line-up for Saturday on the basis of last night. However Payne, Shaq, Bolger, Clifford etc will have legitimate reason to be a bit ****ed off

In fairness i bigged up Strictly to my mates down the pub on friday , saying Iveta Lukosiute's legs are essential watching on a saturday night , but then i didnt actually bother to watch it myself.

and she lost too .... :sad:

Back