• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Was he there?

Why talk an importance of a game up then not attend though?

I assume that Phil had this BBC work booked some time ago so everyone was aware he wouldn’t be there and the players knew they’d be judged by Coughlan/Penney in his absence, or by video as some have suggested. Motivating the fringe players to push for a 1[SUP]st[/SUP] team place is pretty standard, think this is a mountain out of a molehill territory.

Apologies if mentioned elsewhere but seems relevent to this thread, and I warn you now this is from a 'my mate's sister's hairdresser' type source. I'm told, alledgedly, PB is here on no or minimal / results based salary, on the understanding it puts him in the shop window for higher level jobs which he will be free to persue if offered. 'Apparently' he thought he was going to get the Bolton job, (which if there's any truth in it could explain our sudden drop in form around that time). The other 'alledged' agreement when he took the job with us was that he was free to carry out his (probably well paid) media commitments.

I'm as sceptical as anyone about most of the above, particularly with talk of a 4 year contract about to be signed, but could explain why Coughlan was kept on, and Penney brought in, as a ready made management team for when Brown does a runner at the first better offer than comes along? Anyway thought it was worth mentioning, you can't beat a bit of groundless rumour-mongering!

Apologies if mentioned elsewhere but seems relevent to this thread, and I warn you now this is from a 'my mate's sister's hairdresser' type source. I'm told, alledgedly, PB is here on no or minimal / results based salary, on the understanding it puts him in the shop window for higher level jobs which he will be free to persue if offered. 'Apparently' he thought he was going to get the Bolton job, (which if there's any truth in it could explain our sudden drop in form around that time). The other 'alledged' agreement when he took the job with us was that he was free to carry out his (probably well paid) media commitments.

I'm as sceptical as anyone about most of the above, particularly with talk of a 4 year contract about to be signed, but could explain why Coughlan was kept on, and Penney brought in, as a ready made management team for when Brown does a runner at the first better offer than comes along? Anyway thought it was worth mentioning, you can't beat a bit of groundless rumour-mongering!

Thing is though , our success and Browns are linked.
If he does a good job with us he get the opportunity of a job higher up the Leagues .
Muck up and nobody will come calling and all the media work will dry up.
People get forgotten very quickly.
Curbishley springs to mind.

I hate to be a party pooper on all this lovely " dooooom & glooooom" surrounding Phil Brown not being at Roots Hall last night , but , correct me if i'm wrong , i believe the draw for the tie was only made on Saturday so the game was a rather last minute arrangement.

So its just possible that Mr. Brown had promised to attend other things and didnt want to break those promises.

It would have been far more detrimental to team spirit if he had forced the entire 1st team to play at the last minute , and then not turned up himself . But he didnt , he asked those who fancied a game the chance to play .

No problem.

Move on , there's nothing to see here .....:whistling::zzzzz::zzzzz::zzzzz:

I hate to be a party pooper on all this lovely " dooooom & glooooom" surrounding Phil Brown not being at Roots Hall last night , but , correct me if i'm wrong , i believe the draw for the tie was only made on Saturday so the game was a rather last minute arrangement.

So its just possible that Mr. Brown had promised to attend other things and didnt want to break those promises.

It would have been far more detrimental to team spirit if he had forced the entire 1st team to play at the last minute , and then not turned up himself . But he didnt , he asked those who fancied a game the chance to play .

No problem.

Move on , there's nothing to see here .....:whistling::zzzzz::zzzzz::zzzzz:

The draw was made on 26th September - http://www.harlowtownfootballclub.co.uk/news/essex-senior-cup-draw-1299474.html

It amazes me how Southend Pier can get this sort of bollox published via 'third party' sources. Obviously Rob you did not know this was the case. :smile:

I think people could do with calming down a little bit. Disgraceful, really?

I've said several times that I think PB should have been there last night.

My point is that if he was working on 1st team activities all day then it isn't unreasonable that he isn't working in the evening. Yes like most people he has a job where you have to do long days, nights, more hours than contracted etc. I was just making the point that he can fill his spare time with media work if he wants.

Would people have been kicking off so much if he'd been chilling at home rather than on the radio?

Again - IMO he should have been there, but I don't think it's a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Except he is working in the evening. For another employer.

Who he is prioritising above SUFC.

I see on the OS that Phil will be at Papa Johns tomorrow at 1:30 , making pizza ( I kid you not )

Moonlighting in the kitchens?

Maybe he would have played the entire first team squad but felt he couldn't because he had already committed to being elsewhere?

I see on the OS that Phil will be at Papa Johns tomorrow at 1:30 , making pizza ( I kid you not )

Lets hope he can make a decision on the correct ingredients. He seems to be very unsure about who or how the players should play at the moment.

Of course he's going to say 'this is an important game' and not 'it's only the essex senior cup...'
Whingerzone at it's finest
I still love ya Phil, mwah!

I shall probably get seriously walloped for this, but if he already has Ron's agreement to carry on his media work, it may be that he was contractually required to attend at Shrewsbury. It doesn't make it right, but it may explain his absence and he has faith in his management staff. Let's face it, on current performance, his tactical nous was not missed last night.
It seems then that whoever was in charge whether it was Coughlin or Penney, and the reports on the game then their tactical nous was also missing ( badly )

It seems then that whoever was in charge whether it was Coughlin or Penney, and the reports on the game then their tactical nous was also missing ( badly )

It was Coughlan, and he wasn't happy.

Southend United's Development Squad manager Graham Coughlan was left frustrated as his side bowed out of the Essex Senior Cup following a home defeat to Harlow Town.

The visitors ran out 4-2 winners at Roots Hall and Coughlan rued what he calls a 'disappointing display'.

“Players were given a great opportunity which doesn't come round too often to showcase their talent under the lights at Roots Hall,” Coughlan said.

“It was a really disappointing display coupled with some poor defending cost us a place in the next round. Defending set pieces takes pride and bravery which we came up short on.

“With six offensive players including three strikers, we knew going forward we could score goals but defensively without the ball we looked wide open and isolated.

“The personnel didn't fit the shape but these lads have to get game time from somewhere. 'Development' is the key word at this stage of their careers.

Blues went 1-0 down before scoring twice to earn a half time lead following strikes from first team players Jack Payne and then Shaq Coulthirst, before Harlow battled back after the break to win the game and progress to the next round.

“When players cross that white line you trust they will do their jobs to the best of their ability and if that's the best they can offer well then some will struggle to further their careers.

“Personally I'm gutted to lose any game of football and the performance didn't represent what I'm all about as a player or a coach.

“The link up play from our front three was poor and the stats at half time and full time echo this. At the end of the day it was 11 vs 11, system vs. system and Harlow were better individually and collectively, which we congratulate them on and wish them well going forward.”

It was Coughlan, and he wasn't happy.

Southend United's Development Squad manager Graham Coughlan was left frustrated as his side bowed out of the Essex Senior Cup following a home defeat to Harlow Town.

The visitors ran out 4-2 winners at Roots Hall and Coughlan rued what he calls a 'disappointing display'.

“Players were given a great opportunity which doesn't come round too often to showcase their talent under the lights at Roots Hall,” Coughlan said.

“It was a really disappointing display coupled with some poor defending cost us a place in the next round. Defending set pieces takes pride and bravery which we came up short on.

“With six offensive players including three strikers, we knew going forward we could score goals but defensively without the ball we looked wide open and isolated.

“The personnel didn't fit the shape but these lads have to get game time from somewhere. 'Development' is the key word at this stage of their careers.

Blues went 1-0 down before scoring twice to earn a half time lead following strikes from first team players Jack Payne and then Shaq Coulthirst, before Harlow battled back after the break to win the game and progress to the next round.

“When players cross that white line you trust they will do their jobs to the best of their ability and if that's the best they can offer well then some will struggle to further their careers.

“Personally I'm gutted to lose any game of football and the performance didn't represent what I'm all about as a player or a coach.

“The link up play from our front three was poor and the stats at half time and full time echo this. At the end of the day it was 11 vs 11, system vs. system and Harlow were better individually and collectively, which we congratulate them on and wish them well going forward.”

This is significant for me , in that Coughlin was told to fit these 5 or 6 1st team players in at the last minute , so his usual shape+ formation amongst his youngsters was disrupted ( you would never have Coolthirst,Williams + Layne all up front together normally )

...But that pretty much happens in every club + its quite correct that the priority should be given ahead of the reserve team in order to maximize the benefit to the 1st team.

I sometimes wonder if Coughlin , Penney and Brown are all singing from the same songsheet...
Coughlin probably feels like a spare part + relegated to number 3
Penney possibly feels he could do a better job than Brown + may be hankering a return to management success like he enjoyed at Doncaster
Brown probably would rather be back up north at a top job

...No idea if this may be true , just wondering if the management team are a happy family together or not ... if not , this could be feeding through to the players. I've played for teams before when there are 3 coaches telling players slightly different things and all that happens is players get confused ( doesnt take much ! )

Back