• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Martin backs Brown

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United chairman Ron Martin is backing manager Phil Brown to lead the club to success this season. Blues have not won in their last five games, picking up two points from a possible 15 since the end of September. But Martin is not concerned by the current poor form and revealed Brown will be signing his new four year contract within the next fortnight.

More...

This bit I find incredible.

But, this time around, the Shrimpers are ninth in the table and having been struggling to score goals.

Only four teams have now hit the back of the net fewer times than Southend in League Two this term.

And Martin revealed he would be happy to sanction the signing of a striker if the lack of goals remains an ongoing concern.

But he believes the forwards already at the club have the talent to hit the back of the net on a more regular basis.

“I actually think we do have players in our squad who are more than capable of getting goals in League Two,” said Martin.

“But if it’s not working and we need to bring someone else in then of course I will work with Phil to make sure that can happen.”

Like I've said to the cows come home, I've never seen such a bunch of poor finishers in all my years watching training.
Someone like Weston will never get a good goal ratio unless retrained in the art of striking a ball. The only striker that has a good and accurate shot on him is Barney. So leaving it to this lot to come good is a joke. None of them will be a 20 goal a season player this time around. That is what we need, unless they are all chipping in with plenty of goals. He needs to find another Assombalonga, before it's too late. The 3 defensive coaches need to be more attack minded, and get it right both ends of the pitch.

Like I've said to the cows come home, I've never seen such a bunch of poor finishers in all my years watching training.
Someone like Weston will never get a good goal ratio unless retrained in the art of striking a ball. The only striker that has a good and accurate shot on him is Barney. So leaving it to this lot to come good is a joke. None of them will be a 20 goal a season player this time around. That is what we need, unless they are all chipping in with plenty of goals. He needs to find another Assombalonga, before it's too late. The 3 defensive coaches need to be more attack minded, and get it right both ends of the pitch.

Corr and Barnard had one chance between them on Saturday that I remember. Corr scored it. Play 4-4-2 and create chances (and don't shut up shop when we're a goal up) and we'll score some goals.

Someone like Weston will never get a good goal ratio unless retrained in the art of striking a ball. The only striker that has a good and accurate shot on him is Barney.

This is the bit that totally confuses me. I believe Barney could still be our main goal scoring striker if only we persisted in him by regular starts. The positioning etc is there, all he is lacking is 'goal' confidence.

This is the bit that totally confuses me. I believe Barney could still be our main goal scoring striker if only we persisted in him by regular starts. The positioning etc is there, all he is lacking is 'goal' confidence.

And some chances to finish.

Only way to find out is to play him I agree but as beefy says we also need to create chances for him to put away. The problem now is if he misses a couple the boo boys will be on his back. Even players like Rooney miss "easy" chances, it's all about percentages, give him 4 or 5 chances in a game and he will probably score 1-2 of those.

The frustrating part of this is that we have carved open teams this season at will, and yet, Barney has bee sitting on the bench watching the chances go begging.

A fully fit, and more to the point, a regular starting Lee Barnard will have, in my opinion, had a number of goals by now and we'd be in a better league position. What doesn't help is the constant change of formation and personnel we've seen over the last 3 games - It is clear, to me at least, that under Brown, we operate much better in a 4-3-3 / 4-5-1 formation, and rather than completely re-inventing this, just tweak the line-up if players are out of form. There wasn't much wrong with us up until the Morecambe game, and if you take that and the Exeter game, we could and should have won both of them easily enough.

Barney needs a consistent run in the team, but we also need to make sure we give him the type of chances that our other strikers have had the luxury of this season, but sadly failed to take.

The frustrating part of this is that we have carved open teams this season at will, and yet, Barney has bee sitting on the bench watching the chances go begging.

A fully fit, and more to the point, a regular starting Lee Barnard will have, in my opinion, had a number of goals by now and we'd be in a better league position. What doesn't help is the constant change of formation and personnel we've seen over the last 3 games - It is clear, to me at least, that under Brown, we operate much better in a 4-3-3 / 4-5-1 formation, and rather than completely re-inventing this, just tweak the line-up if players are out of form. There wasn't much wrong with us up until the Morecambe game, and if you take that and the Exeter game, we could and should have won both of them easily enough.

Barney needs a consistent run in the team, but we also need to make sure we give him the type of chances that our other strikers have had the luxury of this season, but sadly failed to take.

I’m not convinced by this, I kind of think Barney might be finished (hope I’m wrong). I get the frustration though, I was convinced Freddy would have done well had he been given a decent run of games and in this position I’d like to see Barney given a run, even though I’m sceptical of his goalscoring ability nowadays.

This is half the problem with Barney, feed him and he will score. I can assure you he is quite deadly in training. But, as he's lost that extra yard of pace, he finds space in the penalty area harder to come by, and is easily marked. Phil Brown has to earn some of that contract and find a way to feed him.

This bit I find incredible.

But, this time around, the Shrimpers are ninth in the table and having been struggling to score goals.

Only four teams have now hit the back of the net fewer times than Southend in League Two this term.

And Martin revealed he would be happy to sanction the signing of a striker if the lack of goals remains an ongoing concern.

But he believes the forwards already at the club have the talent to hit the back of the net on a more regular basis.

“I actually think we do have players in our squad who are more than capable of getting goals in League Two,” said Martin.

“But if it’s not working and we need to bring someone else in then of course I will work with Phil to make sure that can happen.”

Great news that he's working on a compensation package so we can get a replacement manager in.

We should be looking to improve the quality of play in and around the opposing penalty area. Only then will the strikers have a chance of scoring or at least missing chances.

I’m not convinced by this, I kind of think Barney might be finished (hope I’m wrong). I get the frustration though, I was convinced Freddy would have done well had he been given a decent run of games and in this position I’d like to see Barney given a run, even though I’m sceptical of his goalscoring ability nowadays.

How can he be finished? He's only just 30 and should be in his prime. You don't turn 39 and all of a sudden lose the good finishing skill that you had in your 20s. He needs games, match fitness, good service and confidence

Barney can't play two games in a row that's the problem as brown said last week .
the argument is why the hell is he here

When and where did Brown say that about Barnard? That is very concerning if true.

Back