• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Phil Brown: My work rate as Southend United manager cannot be questioned

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United manager Phil Brown has defended his decision to miss the Shrimpers’ Essex Senior Cup clash against Harlow Town to help cover a game for Radio Five Live.

More...

Quite right too in my opinion. This issue about him not being at the Harlow game is ridiculous. Having worked for the club once (many moons ago) I know first hand the work rate that the managers and coaches put in. No-one should ever question it... blimey, half the people moaning can't even be bothered to go to games if we aren't thrashing people week in week out.

Where's their commitment?

I appreciate he gets out to see games but I just feel that there is something more wrong than personnel at the moment. That's why I was so annoyed that he wasn't there, as I think he should be working with the squad he's got to try and get us back in form and get the confidence and belief back in the side. If he's going to 7 games a week to scout players and we sign a striker on loan, that striker is still going to be playing in front of 10 other players that are badly short on confidence. He's identified the problem and not buried his head in the sand and denied it which is great, but I don't think personnel alone is the issue here.

I think the issue here is that first team players were involved and given the current bad run it could have been an opportunity to try something different. The whole thing has been badly handled by PB and the club. In future he should consider far more carefully what he says to the press, we didn't really need to know that some first team players had asked to play, his appetite for the media attention sometimes works against him. He made it sound like this game was more important than it actually was.

Over reaction by some of us on SZ ? Maybe. Bad PR by the club and PB, certainly.

As for the moron on the echo site saying that most fans earn minimum wage and PB should donate his media fee to charity, wtf is that all about ?

Quite right too in my opinion. This issue about him not being at the Harlow game is ridiculous. Having worked for the club once (many moons ago) I know first hand the work rate that the managers and coaches put in. No-one should ever question it... blimey, half the people moaning can't even be bothered to go to games if we aren't thrashing people week in week out.

Where's their commitment?

Although what you say is fair, you ruined it with that last bit.
Phil Brown is paid a fortune probably compared to most Southend fans. Going to matches to watch potential signings or loan signings is part of the job.
Going to watch Southend is not part of our job, and we have to pay to do so.

Just highlights the club can't win in these situations, be it Ron, Brown, whoever, the club is criticised for not commenting on any number of issues - the new stadium, loanee's pay structure, the manager's whereabouts, but when they do they're criticised again, they can't win, damned if they do, damned if they don't

I agree with Brown on this and questioning this makes our fans look stupid. What's more of a concern is our league form rather than losing in the Essex senior cup.

Where's their commitment
?

When Southend United pay me the sort of money that Brown is on, I will happily attend every game!

You post was a good one until the last 'muppett' comment!

I don't think many people were questioning the level of work Brown puts in, the problem I and others had was the hypocrisy and disrespect Brown showed by hyping up the importance of the game for fringe players before electing to prioritise media work over it. He can't have it both ways.

I agree with Brown on this and questioning this makes our fans look stupid. What's more of a concern is our league form rather than losing in the Essex senior cup.

Is he more likely to get a grip on our League form and the form of potential replacements by watching our squad players or by watching Chelsea ? Losing an Essex Senior Cup is unfortunate (not least because a good few of the club's keener supporters were there and would like to have seen a victory, but also because it deprives the club of further competitive development fixtures) but not the end of the world. The fact we lost is not the issue; the criticism would have been just as valid if we'd won.

Having sat back & read a lot of comments about the game on Tuesday ( I did attend ) & understand why people have questioned PB's absence - without going on too much I've come to the conclusion that this game was attended by one of the senior coaching staff - eg Mr Coughlan- who is more than capable of passing his assessment onto PB - that's what assistants are for - I realise that PB's moonlighting is an issue but in this case I don't see it as a major cause for the backlash which I suspect is down to poor form , poor results & poor displays.

Good to read these different opinions on here.

For what it's worth my opinion is not based on current form or any anti-PB feelings, yet I 100% feel that he should have attended and not have been 'moonlighting' whether it was agreed by RM or not.

OK, Penney and GC were there. GC is the 'Development Squad' Manager as I understand it, but how would PB have reacted if Penney turned round and said that he wasn't going to attend either but had another 'non-work' and 'non-emergency' related issue arise.

I understand that the first Team were asked to volunteer if they wanted to play, but how would PB have viewed some of the 'fringe' players if they said 'thanks' but 'no thanks' I am off to watch Chelsea play?

Whilst I understand that a Managers job and workload can be onerous, by not attending a valid work related event i.e. a match (the fact that it is development squad or not is irrelevant in my opinion) then a dangerous precedent is set.

I agree that consistency of Management is a good thing and have no real wish to see PB depart, but in my opinion consistencey of actions are equally important - if not then you are in a 'do as I say, rather than do as I do' situation.

Can we also factor in the alleged opening of a Pizza restaurant today as well? Yet more PR for the orange one when he should be sat in his office at Boots & Laces?

Can we also factor in the alleged opening of a Pizza restaurant today as well? Yet more PR for the orange one when he should be sat in his office at Boots & Laces?

Aren't Papa John's a sponsor? It's not really some PR activity for Brown, it's important commercial work for the club.

For Papa John’s who are a sponsor of the club? I’d assume this was a club commitment, be fair to the guy this is part of his job, sponsor relations brings money into the club.

For Papa John’s who are a sponsor of the club? I’d assume this was a club commitment, be fair to the guy this is part of his job, sponsor relations brings money into the club.
Yeah don't see a problem with this if it's bringing doh into the club, after all it's just another way of earning a (stuffed) crust

As Papa John provided all the pizza for the Junior Blues' day on Tuesday, I have no problem at all with this. Promotion works both ways.

Back