• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Not too sure what people have been watching but if anyone honestly thinks that Barnard has been provided with the necessary service in order to score goals then they are sorely mistaken!

Personally would rather have seen Coulthirst return to Spurs than Barnard leave on loan but oh well. Hopefully he goes to get back the confidence that Brown has drained out of him and show that he HAS still got it and is not a shadow of a player at only 30.

:clap::clap::clap:

Not too sure what people have been watching but if anyone honestly thinks that Barnard has been provided with the necessary service in order to score goals then they are sorely mistaken!

Personally would rather have seen Coulthirst return to Spurs than Barnard leave on loan - he's done just as little. One jammy header from the edge of the box that he'll never do again. Only decent thing he did was his goal against Portsmouth. Hopefully Barnard goes to get back the confidence that Brown has drained out of him and show that he HAS still got it and is not a shadow of a player at only 30.

You talk about service for Barnard, he missed an open goal from about 6 yards out..

Loved Barney as a player in his first spell but he is sadly past it now. We've done the right thing by getting him off our wage bill.

You talk about service for Barnard, he missed an open goal from about 6 yards out..

Loved Barney as a player in his first spell but he is sadly past it now. We've done the right thing by getting him off our wage bill.

Yes - this exactly. Coulthirst hasn't set the world alight either but he did score a good goal against Portsmouth and that "jammy" header was an unbelievable bit of skill. Barney has done neither in his appearances - he worked hard but that's about it. Decent business all round, and if he does start scoring for Stevenage (which I very much doubt) then we can have him back in a month anyway!

to be fair on Phil at the start of the season with Barny, Corr & Shaq i thought this could be a mean front three but for some reason it didnt work out.

Nope, I won't have the "he's past it" line. He is 30 and still very mobile. Short on confidence and match sharpness yes. But he is 30, not 35. He hasn't lost his ability.

Interesting that Layne hasn't been loaned out, did nobody want him? Or, does this mean we may see a bit more of him on the bench in the near future. Must admit, I've never seen him, Williams or Brown play in the flesh, but, with his reputation and having a trial with Charlton last season, Layne seems to be the one with the most potential.

This could really bite us on the arse. Loaning him to a club in the same division, only 2 points behind us doesn't make a lot of sense.

Why can't he get 'more minutes under his belt' here? The other forwards are hardly setting the world alight!

Great business all round, well done PB and Ron.

May pay off with Barney too if he gets game time and a goal or two - come back to us confident and sharper.

Elliott Lee will score goals for us if he has half the chances afforded to Weston and Shaq, he is just a goalscorer. Sokolik is a proper defender as we already know.

This could really bite us on the arse. Loaning him to a club in the same division, only 2 points behind us doesn't make a lot of sense.

Why can't he get 'more minutes under his belt' here? The other forwards are hardly setting the world alight!

I don't think anyone above this level would take him and I'd guess we need someone to take a big portion of his wage

Interesting that Layne hasn't been loaned out, did nobody want him? Or, does this mean we may see a bit more of him on the bench in the near future. Must admit, I've never seen him, Williams or Brown play in the flesh, but, with his reputation and having a trial with Charlton last season, Layne seems to be the one with the most potential.

Or maybe he thought that with the other three out of the picture he might get game time.

Good Luck Barney, am sure you will prove PB wrong.
Not your fault that the Manager seems lacking in ideas on how to play up front, apart from pumping balls high.
I will be watching your goals go in with glee x

Did not see that coming but good bit of business from PB and RM.
Barney will score goals he is only 30 and played at a much higher level.
Sokolik back for 28 days is a great bit of business and Lee seems a good
capture on Loan.

Also, Dan Matsazuka, central defender, has switched to Harlow Town on loan.
Just hope Lee Barnard gets plenty of playing time at Stevenage. It's not a given that he will start many matches, unless he gets off to a flyer.

This - plus Stevenage are only 2 points behind us in the league. Let's hope this doesn't turn round and bite us.

We've already beaten Stevenage and won't play them again until Barney is back. In fairness to Brown I think it's quite astute to loan him out to a rival, he may do more damage to other clubs, even if it's good for Stevenage.

Good Luck Barney, am sure you will prove PB wrong.
Not your fault that the Manager seems lacking in ideas on how to play up front, apart from pumping balls high.
I will be watching your goals go in with glee x

Not sure I agree with this - my only interest is in seeing Southend United win, frankly we haven't looked great up top this season whoever has played there. Getting a new striker in on loan, and a highly rated one from a Premiership club looks like a good bit of business to me.

He had over half an hour on the pitch at home to Morecambe, odd circumstances meant he stayed on the bench against Luton, but Barney started against Exeter as a loan front man, worked hard and managed to hit the post when faced with an open goal from about 8yds out. He played for 82 minutes, didn't score and was then taken off.

He was deemed not fit enough to start against Newport 3 days later, but did come on as sub after 66 minutes. He didn't score.

He started up front against Bury, this time playing alongside Corr (which many had been crying out for, saying that's Barney's best role playing alongside a target man). I couldn't fault his work rate, but I can't remember him having any scoring chances - despite the amount of time we had in Bury's half in the first half (including a succession of set pieces). He didn't score and was substituted after 66 minutes.

To say that Brown is "lacking ideas on how to play up front, apart from pumping balls high" seems rather harsh. We've played a lot of balls into channels from the back, but also played some nice passing football at times. Others have said that Barney hasn't been given a chance, but from what I can see he's been given some decent game time recently in a variety of formations and hasn't grasped the opportunity.

Let's not forget that Brown and his team also see Barney in training every day and therefore are in a far better position than us to judge whether or not he is the best option for us. One can only assume that they didn't see enough for him to warrant a starting berth (besides the Walsall League Cup game, when he failed to impress) until Exeter. I don't buy all this "Brown didn't sign him" nonsense - if he was in good enough form, he'd be starting. Managers are judged on results, they're not going to leave their best players out just for the sake of it.

If Barney does well at Stevenage he won't be proving Brown wrong, he'll be proving that he was right to send him out on loan to get some game time and confidence back. If he doesn't do well, then he'll also prove Brown right!

So let's just stop the petty bickering about Brown and get behind whoever is wearing the shirts!

Layne was one of the ''Harlow horrors'' from the other night ... didn't do anything to justify a place in that team let alone the first team

Layne was one of the ''Harlow horrors'' from the other night ... didn't do anything to justify a place in that team let alone the first team

He got better as the game developed (when most of the others were getting worse). One for the future, but obviously nowhere near a start now.

Back