• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Gutted for him, has played with intent and purpose whenever the chance has arisen. Corr looks lazy and Barney gets loaned out, go figure.

Come on OBL that's a bit harsh. Corr has overcome potential career ending injury which has left his knee in bits and is carrying a long term back injury. I admit his work rate isn't what it was, but that's not down to laziness. I'm sure he'd love to run about like the clappers if he could.

As number11 said, Barnard's had a full pre-season, has no chronic injury and hadn't produced the goods. He might have looked useful the last few games but I always get the impression that we could sit there all weekend and he still wouldn't score. If we had to bin a striker off on loan to afford Elliot Lee then Barnard was the right choice.

Come on OBL that's a bit harsh. Corr has overcome potential career ending injury which has left his knee in bits and is carrying a long term back injury. I admit his work rate isn't what it was, but that's not down to laziness. I'm sure he'd love to run about like the clappers if he could.

As number11 said, Barnard's had a full pre-season, has no chronic injury and hadn't produced the goods. He might have looked useful the last few games but I always get the impression that we could sit there all weekend and he still wouldn't score. If we had to bin a striker off on loan to afford Elliot Lee then Barnard was the right choice.
This is bang on the money, maybe Barnard hasn't been given as many starts as he would have liked but we can't afford to carry anyone, we need the points

Corr may be carrying injury and having to protect his back, but he does look lazy at times...and for me, that was clearly shown in the game recently where Barney started. It made a massive difference having a forward challenging and contesting.

Not sure I agree with this - my only interest is in seeing Southend United win, frankly we haven't looked great up top this season whoever has played there. Getting a new striker in on loan, and a highly rated one from a Premiership club looks like a good bit of business to me.

He had over half an hour on the pitch at home to Morecambe, odd circumstances meant he stayed on the bench against Luton, but Barney started against Exeter as a loan front man, worked hard and managed to hit the post when faced with an open goal from about 8yds out. He played for 82 minutes, didn't score and was then taken off.

He was deemed not fit enough to start against Newport 3 days later, but did come on as sub after 66 minutes. He didn't score.

He started up front against Bury, this time playing alongside Corr (which many had been crying out for, saying that's Barney's best role playing alongside a target man). I couldn't fault his work rate, but I can't remember him having any scoring chances - despite the amount of time we had in Bury's half in the first half (including a succession of set pieces). He didn't score and was substituted after 66 minutes.

To say that Brown is "lacking ideas on how to play up front, apart from pumping balls high" seems rather harsh. We've played a lot of balls into channels from the back, but also played some nice passing football at times. Others have said that Barney hasn't been given a chance, but from what I can see he's been given some decent game time recently in a variety of formations and hasn't grasped the opportunity.

Let's not forget that Brown and his team also see Barney in training every day and therefore are in a far better position than us to judge whether or not he is the best option for us. One can only assume that they didn't see enough for him to warrant a starting berth (besides the Walsall League Cup game, when he failed to impress) until Exeter. I don't buy all this "Brown didn't sign him" nonsense - if he was in good enough form, he'd be starting. Managers are judged on results, they're not going to leave their best players out just for the sake of it.

If Barney does well at Stevenage he won't be proving Brown wrong, he'll be proving that he was right to send him out on loan to get some game time and confidence back. If he doesn't do well, then he'll also prove Brown right!

So let's just stop the petty bickering about Brown and get behind whoever is wearing the shirts!

Can't agree with that, Barnard and Payne were our two best players that night.

Signing Elliot Lee is a good bit of business, personally I'd have paired him with Barney. I guess we'll see if Brown has got it right in a month or so's time.

Corr may be carrying injury and having to protect his back, but he does look lazy at times...and for me, that was clearly shown in the game recently where Barney started. It made a massive difference having a forward challenging and contesting.

I hear what you're saying, but I'd argue it made a massive difference, as we still only managed 1 shot on goal which was Corr's goal. I imagine Barnard earns decent wedge for this level and personally I just don't feel he's justified it at all. I'd swap Barnard for Elliot Lee all day, every day. Would you not?

I hear what you're saying, but I'd argue it made a massive difference, as we still only managed 1 shot on goal which was Corr's goal. I imagine Barnard earns decent wedge for this level and personally I just don't feel he's justified it at all. I'd swap Barnard for Elliot Lee all day, every day. Would you not?

Having spoken to a few WH supporters, every single one of them seems to think Lee is a cracking signing. I'm more than happy to allow a young starlet the chance to shine, but I still struggle to understand why Barnard is being treated like this when he's been given infinitely less opportunity than Corr.

Barney not for me second time round, didn't think he would do much for us, same view of Weston and posted he would flatter to deceive and drift out of contention at around 10 games. So delighted to see Lee brought in and believe he and Sokolik will give a much needed lift to morale and confidence, even though Brown to slow to react to the obvious needs. Still what do we know?

Yes the very type of miss that is alleviated with a run of games and a boost of confidence. Shaq and Corr have had more games and missed many more chances.[/QUOTE

Exactly, Shaq - not even our own player, has scored one lucky goal, plenty of smoke and mirrors but has missed umpteen opportunities, but that's ok?
Weston - started brightly but has fizzled to put it mildly.
Corr - not looked anything like he did a couple of seasons ago, and never likely too.

I don't blame necessarily any of the above for our lack of goals, but I do lay it at the door of the Manager and his wealth of backroom staff, who imo do not seem to know how to play to our strikers' strengths - and lets face it Shaq, Weston, Barney are all strikers that PB bought in.
All our strikers seem drained of any confidence at the moment imo.

Sorry it didn't work out. Shadow of his former self.
Right decision to loan him out.
My opinion not obviously everyone's but facts are facts.(you can manipulate figures to say what you want I know)

Agree, no you cant but the way PB currently plays does not seem to suit any of our strikers!

Because Barnard has been as useful and potent upfront as a traffic cone. Glad he is getting some practice elsewhere. Been here almost a year now, no majors injuries in that time, had a full pre-season.....so when is he going to get 'back to his best'.....probably never.

Probably when he plays for a Manager that does not rely on a 'one track' system of one up front defensive formation - home and away - and wants to play the ball to feet on the ground?

Gutted for him, has played with intent and purpose whenever the chance has arisen. Corr looks lazy and Barney gets loaned out, go figure.
Corr scores goals. Good goals as well. Barney misses sitters.

144626566__500620b.jpg

Probably when he plays for a Manager that does not rely on a 'one track' system of one up front defensive formation - home and away - and wants to play the ball to feet on the ground?

I know you're a big Barney fan. But are you saying that some of the horrendous misses from him are down to Brown?!

It might be that Barney isn't playing in his ideal role/formation, but it's down to him to put away the chances that he's had. No one else.

Best thing for us is for Barney to get some minutes and rebuild his confidence and form. His fall from grace has been quite spectacular.

Having spoken to a few WH supporters, every single one of them seems to think Lee is a cracking signing. I'm more than happy to allow another team's young starlet the chance to shine, but I still struggle to understand why Barnard is being treated like this when he's been given infinitely less opportunity than Corr.

Edited for accuracy ......

And I will be positive and hope that Barney returns to Southend sharper and plays an increased role for the remainder of the season.

If he (Barney) is not going to be selected, then it would be sadly better if he moved on. :sad:

Good luck to him is all I can say....apart from some recent work rate and some good first touches he has literally done naff all. If he goes there and finds some form then everyone is a winner. But someone had to go so we could get the two in....barneys probably on a good wage...makes sense all round.

I know you're a big Barney fan. But are you saying that some of the horrendous misses from him are down to Brown?!

It might be that Barney isn't playing in his ideal role/formation, but it's down to him to put away the chances that he's had. No one else.

Best thing for us is for Barney to get some minutes and rebuild his confidence and form. His fall from grace has been quite spectacular.

Yes, he has missed a couple of chances, but I guess what I take issue with is that so have all our strikers, not just Barney. Shaq and Weston have missed more because they have started more games and had more opportunities.
The fact is whatever strikers we play, we are not creative and we are not peppering the opposition's goal.
And yes I do think that some of this is down to the Manager not being of a 'striker, attack mentality' - he is in the same genre as Big Sam, happy with a 1-0 or 1-1 score sheet.
Again, I think all our strikers have become nervous and devoid of attacking confidence and to the same degree as has our midfield ie. Lenny & Hursty.
A good striker will without doubt benefit from a good run of games, in a settled system, to build up confidence and winning ways.
Jack Payne as an example, our most creative player this season -not deemed good enough to start at home last week?
I was and to a degree still am, fairly happy with PB as Manager, but I do think he is lacking in tactical nous or is it arrogance to turn things around when needs must and with his large background staff I find this frustrating.

What do Barnard offer us though? He has no pace what so ever and has his a yard or two. Glad he's off our wage bill

We won't know now, will we? Until he has a decent run in the team it is impossible to say he's finished. In the short spells he had just before being loaned out he was starting to look the part as an 'intelligent' footballer. I know some will say he missed a sitter recently but nobody else is/was doing any better. I still think he would have been ideal to team up with Lee. Maybe Stevenage will prove the doubters wrong.

Yes, he has missed a couple of chances, but I guess what I take issue with is that so have all our strikers, not just Barney. Shaq and Weston have missed more because they have started more games and had more opportunities.
The fact is whatever strikers we play, we are not creative and we are not peppering the opposition's goal.
And yes I do think that some of this is down to the Manager not being of a 'striker, attack mentality' - he is in the same genre as Big Sam, happy with a 1-0 or 1-1 score sheet.
Again, I think all our strikers have become nervous and devoid of attacking confidence and to the same degree as has our midfield ie. Lenny & Hursty.
A good striker will without doubt benefit from a good run of games, in a settled system, to build up confidence and winning ways.
Jack Payne as an example, our most creative player this season -not deemed good enough to start at home last week?
I was and to a degree still am, fairly happy with PB as Manager, but I do think he is lacking in tactical nous or is it arrogance to turn things around when needs must and with his large background staff I find this frustrating.
Jack Payne has been found out though. Three tasty starting performances and then opponents saw him in videos and worked out how to deal with him.
At the moment he is better suited against tired teams ie an impact sub, as long as the instructions of , "when the little one comes on ".like bury, are forgotten

Back