• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Great article , 44 years ago today Phil scored a goal in 3-0 win in Southends first ever game at Cambridge United , King Billy Best scored the other 2 .
Yes, remember it well, I was a mere youth in those days, stood on the terrace with my father in law, we steam rollered them that day. COYBB

Phil scored in the first match i watched at Roots Hall. A 2-2 draw with Halifax. He played inside right, BB would have been inside inside left but who was centre forward?
Southend were a team struggling in the 4th tier who managed to sign a top premier team player. They had also signed eddie Clayton.
those were exciting times.

Phil scored in the first match i watched at Roots Hall. A 2-2 draw with Halifax. He played inside right, BB would have been inside inside left but who was centre forward?
Southend were a team struggling in the 4th tier who managed to sign a top premier team player. They had also signed eddie Clayton.
those were exciting times.

It may have been Mike Beesley. He sometimes switched to center forward.

The team was Roberts, Beesley, Birks, Stevenson, May, Slack, Baber, Chisnall, Ashworth, Best, McKinven.

I know at the time the club had a few club houses , they had a few in Hudson Cresent Eastwood where I am sure that Trevor Roberts , Graham Birks, Billy Best and I think that is where Phil lived . The club had to sell these of over the years , the last player to live over there was Steve Phillips . It was quite a bonus to sign a player then and offer them a club house to live in .

Yes, remember it well, I was a mere youth in those days, stood on the terrace with my father in law, we steam rollered them that day. COYBB
That terrace behind the goal was a bit different to our South Bank at that time. Could have only been about 20 steps up to the wall. That was my first away game with The Blues, aged 9.

Great article , 44 years ago today Phil scored a goal in 3-0 win in Southends first ever game at Cambridge United , King Billy Best scored the other 2 .

remember that game well,took my cousin chris (then 7), with me and the "old boys" of the "pak"put him on their shoulders,when we were winning..GREAT article, of one of our ever best players..scored the only goal,beating Brentford,at my first ever blues homegame.picture of him & autograph hanging on my wall..GREAT;GREAT ARTICAL

I remember we signed Phil in close season, one of five new players. We saw them for the first time in a friendly match v Clyde. The stand out player was Jackie Ferguson, who was a disaster for us! Phil was great if a bit slow; scored some tremendous free kicks.

I remember we signed Phil in close season, one of five new players. We saw them for the first time in a friendly match v Clyde. The stand out player was Jackie Ferguson, who was a disaster for us! Phil was great if a bit slow; scored some tremendous free kicks.

Often to be seen at the Bell in the company of Sammy Mac.Which might account for that slowness! :smile:

Great player though.I'll never forget that 6-1 win at Bournemouth in the LC.

Or Far from the madding Crowd...............?

Ha!Got it on dvd these days..so I can watch it when I want.

Talking about PC, I remember him doing a great Q and A in the Shrimpers Bar in the days when Ernie Shepard was our manager.One of the Grimm brothers had a list of pre-written questions on a list to ask Chis.In a lull in the questions he was about to ask yet another, when some wag in the audience shouted out, "question number 33".It brought the house down.

Back