• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Too early for me this one, but there will be a few on here that remember this team. Monday 25th October 1965, Southend 3 v Workington 1 in Division 3. Firmani (2) Smillie. 8138 attendance. Alvan Williams manager. Unfortunately Southend were relegated that season.

Southend_v_Workington_team.jpg

Last edited:
Too early for me this one, but there will be a few on here that remember this team. Monday 25th October 1965, Southend 3 v Workington 1 in Division 3. Firmani (2) Smillie. 8138 attendance. Alvan Williams manager. Unfortunately Southend were relegated that season.

http://www.penmon.org/userimages/Southend_v_Workington_team.jpg

I was at that match although I can't say I saw it.

As a 13 year old kid I was always breaking my glasses, and just before kick-off I broke them again. I went anyway, stood on the North Bank soaked up the atmosphere, but could see bu**er all on the pitch!

Now I would love to see footage of that Derby away tie......

I have spent hours looking for that. No luck so far. It's not on you tube. And not in some of the TV archives I have looked at. Can't find any on Southend v Chelsea, Aston Villa or QPR in the Seventies also. They wouldn't be on as one of the main matches, but may have shown very quick highlights and goals. Don't know if anyone else has anything.

team picture taken before Chelsea league cup tie 71
Alas King Billys last season .:sad:
What a forward line Terry Johnson , Billy Best , Bill Garner , Gary Moore , Peter Taylor . I bet a lot of older supporters will be misty eyed looking at this picture .
Thinking back to the Chelsea league cup match in 1972 reminded me that a few years ago I gave Bestie a framed match report from the Chelsea match which was taken from the Southend News Review newspaper(now defunct) this item he has hanging in his study at home, and I have listed below both teams as well as Southend player marks to remind everyone of how well the team played that night in front of over 24,000. Chelsea Team:- Peter Bonetti; Paddy Mulligan; Eddie McCreadie; John Hollins; Dave Webb; Ron Harris; Chris Garland; Steve Kember; Peter Osgood; John Boyle; Peter Houseman. Southend United Team:- Derek Bellotti(9); Ray Ternent(8); Alex Smith(9); Dave Elliott(9); Brian Albeson(9); Mike Harrison(9); Terry Johnson(9); BILLY BEST(10); Bill Garner(9) Bobby Bennett(9); Dennis Booth(9). The amazing thing from that line-up was that this match was Bobby Bennett's debut and he only played 2 futher games for the 1st.Team before being released. P.S If anybody has the Evening Echo supplement from the match day 6/9/1972. would they be kind enough to put the brilliant picture of Billy Best scoring against Aldershot in the previous round which is shown inside the supplement this would be much appreciated.

Think this was the one Preston,.....the game was no doubt televised because of the interest in Nobby being manage 74/75 season.Remember a long item done on Football focus?? on Dave Smith and team when we won the 4th as champions
LWT - the big match. v Preston North End (?) lost 1 - 0 / drew 1 - 1. Dave Elliot era?

Think this was the one Preston,.....the game was no doubt televised because of the interest in Nobby being manage 74/75 season.Remember a long item done on Football focus?? on Dave Smith and team when we won the 4th as champions
The big interest in the game was that Bobby Charlton was player manager for Preston Nobby Styles David Sadler and I am sure that Francis Burns all played . The following season the home game with Preston was with Nobby Styles as manager , that game is remembered because the whole of Roots Hall heared the crack when I think DAve Cunningham broke a Preston Players leg , I am sure that neither games were shown on TV , as I have said on here that I am sure that the next game shown on TV was the highlights of the Derby game .

Could it have been 3-3? 1975? Vale had white shirts with pin stripe black on sleeves. we were 3-0 or 3-1 up??
Never , any Southend supporter who saw that game must still suffer flash backs , we were winning 3-0 at half time and had to hang on to a 3-3 draw , I have never seen so many Southend supporters shell shocked after a game .

Blimey i can remember that, but cant recall who it was against. Swansea? Newport?, just stabbing in the dark. Remember when Gary & Dave Chambers (smallish winger, dark hair) made their home debuts against York in 1968 or 1969 (?), we lost 0-1 and it was on TVS (South) on the Sunday afternoon. We could'nt get that channel!.
The Gary Moore miss was against Newport on 10th.Jan.1970(won 3-2). The TV match against York which we lost 0-1 was on Southern(now meridian)however these were the home league debuts of Howard Moore & Billy Best(they both played in a home reserve match on 29th.Jan.1968 against Luton Town in a 5-1 win Best scored 2 & Moore 1). Gary Moore & Dave Chambers made their home league debuts against Doncaster Rovers on 9th.Nov.1968 both scoring in a 2-0 win, the following week was the Kings Lynn cup tie in which Gary scored a hat-trick. Dave Chambers did not play in the cup match because he had played for Cambridge City in a previous round. Dave played almost 70 matches in league & cup scoring 5 goals he signed for York in March 1971 after we signed Terry Johnson/Dave Elliott from Newcastle. (Dave has a younger brother Phil who played almost 500 matches for his home town club Barnsley).

One for BBTLLO Sorry but scanner not big enough for the 1/2 page pic will post in 2 posts...... great memories of those years

Attachments

• img019.jpg
    img019.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 126
The Gary Moore miss was against Newport on 10th.Jan.1970(won 3-2). The TV match against York which we lost 0-1 was on Southern(now meridian)however these were the home league debuts of Howard Moore & Billy Best(they both played in a home reserve match on 29th.Jan.1968 against Luton Town in a 5-1 win Best scored 2 & Moore 1). Gary Moore & Dave Chambers made their home league debuts against Doncaster Rovers on 9th.Nov.1968 both scoring in a 2-0 win, the following week was the Kings Lynn cup tie in which Gary scored a hat-trick. Dave Chambers did not play in the cup match because he had played for Cambridge City in a previous round. Dave played almost 70 matches in league & cup scoring 5 goals he signed for York in March 1971 after we signed Terry Johnson/Dave Elliott from Newcastle. (Dave has a younger brother Phil who played almost 500 matches for his home town club Barnsley).

Thanks for putting me right on that. At least i was on the right track for Gary Moore's dreadful miss!.

It was York and Southen TV showed about a minute of it . The next time we were on TV was Jan 76 when they showed the highlights of the FA cup game with Derby .

In 1973 or 74 we played at Peterborough in the 3rd round of the FA Cup (lost 1-3, and they drew Leeds at home in the next round). Beforehand, 'everyone' was going. Net result about 40 of us including PP, AV,PO & Tricky Dicky turned up!. Our paths had'nt crossed for some time and we knew nothing about them.
They had a massive crew, and loads of them left the ground and were trying to get through the gates at the away end half hour from the end.
This game was covered by Anglian TV, which i was fortunate to get. On the Sunday afternoon i tuned in, and near the end actually saw AV, cousin Paul, Tricky Dicky & me, climbing over the wall and jumping into their Paddock, to escape a severe kicking which would have happened!.
As Ollie used to say, sometimes 'it's better to be a sh***er than have a sore body!'. We made it back to the Coach which was parked in the Town Centre, to be met by the local Hells Angel Chapter, several who had received a hiding on Southend seafront a few Bank Holiday Mondays ago!. What a day!
Needless to say, the coach broke down on the way home, and i think we were in Huntingdon for a couple of hours whilst repairs were carried out.
The joys of following the Blues away!

In 1973 or 74 we played at Peterborough in the 3rd round of the FA Cup (lost 1-3, and they drew Leeds at home in the next round). Beforehand, 'everyone' was going. Net result about 40 of us including PP, AV,PO & Tricky Dicky turned up!. Our paths had'nt crossed for some time and we knew nothing about them.
They had a massive crew, and loads of them left the ground and were trying to get through the gates at the away end half hour from the end.
This game was covered by Anglian TV, which i was fortunate to get. On the Sunday afternoon i tuned in, and near the end actually saw AV, cousin Paul, Tricky Dicky & me, climbing over the wall and jumping into their Paddock, to escape a severe kicking which would have happened!.
As Ollie used to say, sometimes 'it's better to be a sh***er than have a sore body!'. We made it back to the Coach which was parked in the Town Centre, to be met by the local Hells Angel Chapter, several who had received a hiding on Southend seafront a few Bank Holiday Mondays ago!. What a day!
Needless to say, the coach broke down on the way home, and i think we were in Huntingdon for a couple of hours whilst repairs were carried out.
The joys of following the Blues away!
As it was on Anglia thats why I did not see it , but then again Ollie was full:smile: of S--t .

Great pic great fashions... .Has anyone got any photos of the demo at West Ham, now thats another story! ....when you look back what a Chairman we had in Vic

Only ever seen this one - https://www.flickr.com/photos/mrtipps/1443099546/
I think we had nearly 3,000 fans at Upton Park that day and most staged a sit down protest against Vic Jobson for a good 30mins after the final whistle, not quite sure it actually achieved anything but must of seemed worthwhile at the time.

Back