Likes Likes:  1,257
Page 65 of 68 FirstFirst ... 15556364656667 ... LastLast
Results 961 to 975 of 1017

Thread: Old photos of Southend United.

  
  1. #961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fbm View Post
    I seem to recall it was something to do with the navy being too close to the black worn by the referees.
    That's right , but Millwall are wearing the same colour shirts now .

  2. #962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fbm View Post
    I seem to recall it was something to do with the navy being too close to the black worn by the referees.
    I think that had something to do with it - but I can also recall that Exeter's manager Frank Broome (who had also been our manager) made an official complaint after we beat them 6-1 on a Friday evening complaining that his players could not see ours in their navy shirts against the dark background of the crowd. It was the Scotland Navy blue and didn't Spurs use it as a change kit?

  3. #963

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
    Or even Chico Hamilton?
    It's not a good photo but it looks like Chico Hamilton to me!

  4. #964

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    It's not a good photo but it looks like Chico Hamilton to me!
    I think you are right , that is team that played most of that season , with the addition of Haydock and Lyndsey , Chico was very much part of that team .

  5. #965
    Certified Senior Citizen Tangled up in Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sant Cugat del Vallès
    Posts
    23,468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    It's not a good photo but it looks like Chico Hamilton to me!
    Yes.That's who I thought it was too.
    “The funniest mortals and the kindest are those who are most aware of the baffle of being”

    Tonight at Seven-Thirty, W.H. Auden.

  6. #966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by THE SEVENTIES NORTH BANK View Post
    Southend United Presentation Evening 1981.

    Where's derek spence, taking the photo or at the bar?

    From memory i've got:

    Left to right
    Back row
    beckett, gray, hadley, nelson, smith, banks, walker, mercer, dudley, ?, polycarpou.

    Front row
    yeats, stead, cusack, poutney, ?, pennyfather, cawston.

    So, how did i do, who are the question marks, and where is the venue?

    Tanks in advance!

  7. #967
    Zone Managing Director mcnasty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Otley, West Yorks
    Posts
    16,008
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crowstone Crevette View Post
    Where's derek spence, taking the photo or at the bar?

    From memory i've got:

    Left to right
    Back row
    beckett, gray, hadley, nelson, smith, banks, walker, mercer, dudley, ?, polycarpou.

    Front row
    yeats, stead, cusack, poutney, ?, pennyfather, cawston.

    So, how did i do, who are the question marks, and where is the venue?

    Tanks in advance!
    The? in the front row is our own Nobbler or better known on the Zone as BB The Legend lives on.
    MAKE A DONATION TOWARDS THE RUNNING COSTS OF SHRIMPERZONE:


    www.shrimperzone.com



  8. #968

    Default

    D'you what, I thought "That looks like Nobbler" but then I thought, "it can't be, surely".

    But it is!

    Venue is a tough one.

    Is it the old Roslin, before it was done up. I seem to recognize the wallpaper!

    The other player you aren't sure about 'Crowstone', I think could be Jeff Hull or even Adrian Owers?
    Last edited by AndyT; 13-01-2018 at 09:08 AM.

  9. #969

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    D'you what, I thought "That looks like Nobbler" but then I thought, "it can't be, surely".

    But it is!

    Venue is a tough one 'Crowstone'.

    Is it the old Roslin, before it was done up. I seem to recognize the wallpaper!

    The other player you aren't sure about 'Crowstone', I think could be Jeff Hull or even Adrian Owers?

    I go for Jeff Hull -played in the first three games of the season and got the winner in the first game at Bury. Got released at the end of the season and ended up at Basildon United.

  10. #970

    Default

    Yep 'LB', I agree. I cheated a little and looked up the players who played that season and saw the Hullster in there.

    Checking Adrian Owers career, I think 1981 is a year early.

    'Nobbler' will be the one to confirm, obviously.

  11. #971

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    Yep 'LB', I agree. I cheated a little and looked up the players who played that season and saw the Hullster in there.

    Checking Adrian Owers career, I think 1981 is a year early.

    'Nobbler' will be the one to confirm, obviously.
    It's definately Jeff and Nobbler! Jeff had a brother ( younger?) Alan who was also an apprentice at the club. So many apprentices fall by the wayside. Owers played a few years later with Glenn Pennyfather, Garry Nelson, John Walker and Danny Greaves in Smith's last season. Must have some of youngest sides ever then.

  12. #972

    Default

    Yep, I think Alan went on to play for Trinity FC when I was briefly there in the very early eighties. I'm sure John Keeley was there for a while, as well.

    Remember they got quite a long way in the FA Sunday Cup the season I was there.

    Needless to say, I didn't get in the 1st Team!

  13. #973

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LBBlue View Post
    I go for Jeff Hull -played in the first three games of the season and got the winner in the first game at Bury. Got released at the end of the season and ended up at Basildon United.
    Had a few beers with Jeff, Alan and Geoff Hudson’s son Warren a couple of months ago.

    All three are excellent company.

    Jeff has since headed back to Spain.

  14. #974
    First XI
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Posts
    344

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by THE SEVENTIES NORTH BANK View Post
    Southend United Presentation Evening 1981.

    Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    Yep 'LB', I agree. I cheated a little and looked up the players who played that season and saw the Hullster in there.

    Checking Adrian Owers career, I think 1981 is a year early.

    'Nobbler' will be the one to confirm, obviously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowstone Crevette View Post
    Where's derek spence, taking the photo or at the bar?

    From memory i've got:

    Left to right
    Back row
    beckett, gray, hadley, nelson, smith, banks, walker, mercer, dudley, ?, polycarpou.

    Front row
    yeats, stead, cusack, poutney, ?, pennyfather, cawston.

    So, how did i do, who are the question marks, and where is the venue?

    Tanks in advance!
    The two answers are as follows. Derek Spence was away with the Northern Ireland squad & the venue was the Old Vienna(recently demolished)at Belfairs.

  15. #975
    Coach
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    city of hollesley,woodbridge, suffolk
    Posts
    885

    Default

    Same venue as my wedding reception, think it was the 'Popular Roadhouse' originally?

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

ShrimperZone.Com Official Sponsors