• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

We had some fantastic forwards this season, and so entertaining to watch. Garner and Best of course, who were different class. Gary Moore and my favourite winger of all time Terry Johnson. He had pace and would mix it up by going inside and out, normally tying the left back in knots. He also scored plenty of goals. He had a fantastic record for us of roughly a goal in every 4.5 games. Fantastic for a winger. He scored one of the best bicycle kicks ever under the floodlights, but I can't remember who against. He was Player of the season the one after this.

CY8JPpNWMAE6EhX.jpg

DUyWtcSX0AA2oRe.jpg
Any of that 1971/72 squad would be a great addition to the team we have now .

When we pulled it back to 2-2, there was nearly a mini Ibrox disaster on the North Bank, as so many surged forward. Fortunately we were able to 'dig in' half way down & stem the flow.
Just glad the North Bank was'nt much bigger with many additional numbers behind us.
Was a great day though.
Remember people searching for their shoes,a couple i think ended up behind the goal.
Then was our penalty "shout",cannot remember if it was or not.
As you wrote,a great day

Could not remember the great Phil Chisnall playing for us in the 71-72 season!!But his face is there in the squad!!
As good as Terry Johnson was,i thought Morris our best ever winger,followed maybe by Spud

Could not remember the great Phil Chisnall playing for us in the 71-72 season!!But his face is there in the squad!!
As good as Terry Johnson was,i thought Morris our best ever winger,followed maybe by Spud
Phil must of signed for Stockport as soon as that picture was taken , I am sure that him and Sammy McMillan played at Roots Hall that season against Southend , as for Terry Johnson all to your own .

Remember people searching for their shoes,a couple i think ended up behind the goal.
Then was our penalty "shout",cannot remember if it was or not.
As you wrote,a great day
The North Bank was the place to be that afternoon .

There's some great photos in the 74/75 match programmes - Can anyone remember this penalty? I think they are still trying to get the ball out of the net to this day!

SUFC74-75-AMPEN.jpg

Nearly 9 years on two 1966 heroes played together at Roots Hall.

SUFC74-75-WCW.jpg

SUFC74-75-NS.jpg

Here's Nobby (Looks like Peter Silvester in the photo)

Some great pics and views of the old Paddock and South Bank there.

I must be in a couple of those photos as I was standing on the stairway leading up from the North paddock, aged 10. I was with my 18 year old cousin who had sacrificed his place in the North Bank to take me.

Nearly 9 years on two 1966 heroes played together at Roots Hall.

View attachment 5190

View attachment 5191

Here's Nobby (Looks like Peter Silvester in the photo)

Good referee for that match as well. No doubt Mick has the full SP on him.

Oh and I think Roy Tunks was in goal for Wigan when we beat them 3-2 at home in 1988 after being 2 nil down.

I am sure that Tunks was German .

Not just two World Cup winners. Fifty years ago this May, I was at Wembley (having left a mock GCSE exam early) to see Stiles, Charlton and David Sadler from that Preston team win the European Cup. A fourth from that team, Francis Burns, played in 6 of the matches en route to the final and I believe, qualified for a winner's medal.

Tony Morley was to later become a fifth European Cup winner with Villa when he set up the winning goal in the final against Bayern Munich.

Ten years later I was again at Wembley (having been quite a few times in between as well!) and saw Derek Nippard referee the Cup Final. He famously (ish) did his own lap of honour at the end along with one of the linesmen, Jim Bent, to bring the curtain down on their refereeing careers. He passed away last July at the age of 87.

Roy Tunks is a German like John McEnroe is a German. Born of military parents stationed in Germany.

There's some great photos in the 74/75 match programmes - Can anyone remember this penalty? I think they are still trying to get the ball out of the net to this day!

View attachment 5189

Yep, I remember that one.

It was at the South Bank end and was the only goal in a 1-0 win against Tranmere Rovers.

Back