• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Arthur Holland, one of the top referees of his era. Refereed the European Cup Final between Benfica and Milan and the following year the FA Cup Final between West Ham and Preston and the European Nations Cup Final between Spain and the USSR. A good day to mention that on his retirement he ran a pub called The Paddy in Barnsley.

The replay was good fun as well. Remember there was a free for all when we got back to Southend Central I've never seen so many people getting off the station without a ticket.

And who started the trouble off..at Send Central...Crumpie!!
The poor old ticket inspector,in his old one man box,asked where is my ticket,i said" i have not got one".
He grabbed hold of my right arm.Crumpie got hold of the other .with other Send fans,then everyone run out..not paying..
The train from Fen.Str to Central arrived (like a few those days)..somewhat different

Anyone know what happened to Mick O'Connor?

I may be doing him a disservice but I seem to recall he was only retained as we had high hopes for his younger brother, Phil.

Non-league, I would imagine.

View attachment 5205

Quality not too good - from the Peterborough programme March 70. Another Billy best goal!

Great pic, must have been taken from on top of the floodlights. :stunned:

I have a feeling someone used to climb the floodlights every match when I was first going along so taking a photo from up there seems highly probable! It is a great shot!

Bob Jennings , and a couple of others went with Brush who parked his car at Barking .

Then he must have been one of us. All I recall, is that at half time Tank wanted to go to the South Africa Rd end, where our fans were, & a Copper walked him round the touchline!.

I wonder who is the oldest Southend United palyer still alive (no shouts for Anton please) - anyone know?

Not quite sure who our oldest SUEPA member is as I don't know the dob for them all - possibly Buster Footman who I think is now 80. Billy Best is 75, Frankie Banks 73 and Derek Bellotti 71, and Frank Mathews is prob mid 70's. Trying to get Tony Bentley to sign - he is 78.

Would like to sign Sid Broomfield up fpr SUEPA, he is now 83.
Jackie Bridge signed for Southend United in 1950 & made his 1st.team debut in January 1953 before leaving for Gravesend & Northfleet in 1956. Jackie who like me hails from Wakering played at both The Stadium & Roots Hall is still about and is 86 in June.

Jackie Bridge signed for Southend United in 1950 & made his 1st.team debut in January 1953 before leaving for Gravesend & Northfleet in 1956. Jackie who like me hails from Wakering played at both The Stadium & Roots Hall is still about and is 86 in June.

Any chance you can get him signed up for SUEPA (sorry, I'm obsessed) please?

Back