• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jackie Bridge signed for Southend United in 1950 & made his 1st.team debut in January 1953 before leaving for Gravesend & Northfleet in 1956. Jackie who like me hails from Wakering played at both The Stadium & Roots Hall is still about and is 86 in June.
Remember Jack Bridge, used to work with him,a true gentleman, kind and thoughtful. Lost touch with him many years ago, good to hear he is still going strong.

I may be doing him a disservice but I seem to recall he was only retained as we had high hopes for his younger brother, Phil.

Non-league, I would imagine.

He was originally a centre forward but by the time we played them in the Youth League Cup Final he had been moved back to centre half.

He was marking me and within the first five seconds had threatened to break my leg.

Never much liked him after that........

He wasn't up to much even at that level and certainly never managed to do me any serious damage so I suspect non-league was nailed on but there's non league and non league.

Phil was quite the opposite. A useful, tricky little winger. I recall that he made one or two appearances in the first team but again I suspect that non league beckoned shortly afterwards.

Phil O'Connor played one game - against Lincoln on Boxing Day 1969 when we were decimated by flu. Vickery came on as sub

POC (2).jpg

Here's a Wiki link

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_O'Connor

He emigrated to Australia -played in their national team 20 times, including against England a couple of times, but sadly was killed in 1985 when his van hit a tree. RIP

SNOW (2).jpg

A snowy game at Roots hall v Aldershot 29/11/1969 in front of 2891 with the South Bank closed. Joe Jacques and Dave Barnett in photo.

View attachment 5218

A snowy game at Roots hall v Aldershot 29/11/1969 in front of 2891 with the South Bank closed. Joe Jacques and Dave Barnett in photo.

Presumably that subsequent friendly with Fulham was arranged to coincide with our regular day off on Cup second round day !

View attachment 5218

I am not sure that the South Bank was shut , there was only two boys on it , one of them was a boy named Derick Brittian who I went to school with .

View attachment 5218

Looking at that picture of the South Bank I am sure in saying that the Grimm Brothers filmed Brian Lloyd in the South Bank goal for the DVD , The Team We Call United , after the filming my friend Bob Jennings jumped on the pitch and got Lioyd to sign his programme . Everyone went back up the North Bank and left Derrrick Brittian and his mate on the South Bank .

View attachment 5218

as i wrote before.
The South bank was closed,i think it was Bill Garners first game for us(or at least his first home game),on the West side,where i was standing,it was a throw-in..and for no reason he punched the "Shots" no 5...

as i wrote before.
The South bank was closed,i think it was Bill Garners first game for us(or at least his first home game),on the West side,where i was standing,it was a throw-in..and for no reason he punched the "Shots" no 5...

Hardly surprising as Bill was quite a nasty piece of work as my shins would testify after playing against him numerous times when he played for Rochford Savon in the Sunday league premier after he retired.
Also not forgetting the infamous Southchurch park cricket bat incident. :whistling:

Remember Jack Bridge, used to work with him,a true gentleman, kind and thoughtful. Lost touch with him many years ago, good to hear he is still going strong.

His my Great Uncle, although hav'nt seen him for years. Know his wife Maureen passed away several years ago.

Only 16 and went up in someones van. Seem to remember once we reached West London if it stood still we robbed it.

We left from The Elms in a convoy of Motors. Don't remember who was driving, but I was in the back of a white van, same size as a small Estate car, along with about 7 others. 'Sardines' comes to mind!.

We left from The Elms in a convoy of Motors. Don't remember who was driving, but I was in the back of a white van, same size as a small Estate car, along with about 7 others. 'Sardines' comes to mind!.
Everyone left the Elms except Jaffa and Crust who thought that Chelsea v Arsenal FA Cup game was more important .

Hardly surprising as Bill was quite a nasty piece of work as my shins would testify after playing against him numerous times when he played for Rochford Savon in the Sunday league premier after he retired.
Also not forgetting the infamous Southchurch park cricket bat incident. :whistling:
Yes,quite correct—you got off lightly if only your shins got damaged.

Back