• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Never mind that......More so......

I never knew we used to be officially named "Sawteud Utl Fc" back in 1985 !!

Not to mention there is a Peter Jones & what appears to be a john Lewis in the squad... I will never look at the the Dragons Den again in the same light!

Last edited:
A rare official Newport teamsheet v Southend 1985. One name is obvious to all. But the stand out player was probably Leighton James. In his prime he scored an amazing 27 goals in 88 appearances....as a winger....for Swansea, helping them from the third division to the first.

s-l1600.jpg
Kendall was a very good keeper too. He died ten years ago from a heart attack at the very young age of 49. The Spurs faithful used to throw him Mars bars into the back of his net! http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/obituary-mark-kendall-050508/ Thanks for posting!

A rare official Newport teamsheet v Southend 1985. One name is obvious to all. But the stand out player was probably Leighton James. In his prime he scored an amazing 27 goals in 88 appearances....as a winger....for Swansea, helping them from the third division to the first.

Darren Peacock was the one who leapt out at me! I can see him now in the Newcastle strip with the blue star on the front...

I love it that in 1985 socks were still officially referred to as stockings!

That reminds me of my first Panini sticker album. We need to bring that wording back.

Leighton James, what a great player, loved watching him on the wing

Was it really 30 + years ago

Never realised Tony Pullis played for Newport

Darren Peacock was the one who leapt out at me! I can see him now in the Newcastle strip with the blue star on the front...

That reminds me of my first Panini sticker album. We need to bring that wording back.

Yeah Darren Peacock must only have been about 17 then.
Newport actually had a pretty decent team there. Steve Mardenborough one of the early black players as well.
The goalkeeper died a few years back.

Leighton James, what a great player, loved watching him on the wing

Was it really 30 + years ago

Never realised Tony Pullis played for Newport

Only 30 years ago?

Is this the James who used to run down the wing wearing no shin pads and his 'stockings' [:winking:] around his ankles?

How the Big Freeze of 1963 affected south Essex

One man who was run off his feet with work, however, was Southend United groundsman Dave Robinson, who, as the Standard reported, was kept busy shovelling snow at Roots Hall. Despite his best efforts, however, for three weeks on the trot during the Big Freeze the stadium had to be closed as it was too frozen to play on.

7rpqN3.jpg

Dave Robinson

Looking at that team above it is hard to believe that the following season was such a massive struggle.
Anyone remember going to the most surreal relegation decider against Hull City at Boothferry Park? Same day as Rugby League Cup Final between Hull and Hull Kingston Rovers at Wembley.
We gave up counting the coaches heading down the A1 at around 200 as we went in the opposite direction to play their football club in the most crucial game of the season for both sides. Defeat for either would confirm relegation.
Arriving in Hull was bizarre. A few women with children but a virtually male free city as the vast majority of the 95,000 at Wembley that afternoon came from Hull.
Such a huge "winner takes all" game against notable opposition away from home in front of..3,823.
We lost 0-1.

How the Big Freeze of 1963 affected south Essex

One man who was run off his feet with work, however, was Southend United groundsman Dave Robinson, who, as the Standard reported, was kept busy shovelling snow at Roots Hall. Despite his best efforts, however, for three weeks on the trot during the Big Freeze the stadium had to be closed as it was too frozen to play on.

7rpqN3.jpg

Dave Robinson

Just checked that seasons records and the last game at Roots Hall was boxing day Weds 26th Dec 1962 against Hull City, and we did not play again at Roots Hall until Sat 9th Mar 1963 against Halifax Town. So no home games in Jan or Feb and only 3 away games. :stunned:

Just checked that seasons records and the last game at Roots Hall was boxing day Weds 26th Dec 1962 against Hull City, and we did not play again at Roots Hall until Sat 9th Mar 1963 against Halifax Town. So no home games in Jan or Feb and only 3 away games. :stunned:

And the only match we did manage to play in January and February, at Brighton, finished 0-0 !!

Looking at that team above it is hard to believe that the following season was such a massive struggle.
Anyone remember going to the most surreal relegation decider against Hull City at Boothferry Park? Same day as Rugby League Cup Final between Hull and Hull Kingston Rovers at Wembley.
We gave up counting the coaches heading down the A1 at around 200 as we went in the opposite direction to play their football club in the most crucial game of the season for both sides. Defeat for either would confirm relegation.
Arriving in Hull was bizarre. A few women with children but a virtually male free city as the vast majority of the 95,000 at Wembley that afternoon came from Hull.
Such a huge "winner takes all" game against notable opposition away from home in front of..3,823.
We lost 0-1.
Yes,indeed.Hull’s win-Keith Edwards got the goal-kept them up.
I vividly remember,as our group went through the barrier at Kings Cross,suddenly seeing hundreds dressed in either red or white,swarming towards us along the platform.And we hadn’t even realised that match was taking place!

Popular trips on the Charabancs at the time were routes to Shoeburyness and also out to Belfairs Woods with a scheduled stop at the Throatcutters Arms. It was probably quite a pleasant pub in those days.

An affectionate term for the Woodcutters? Anyone who remembers it as a pleasant pub has a longer memory than I have.

"Yesterday at around 10.05pm a man suffered serious facial injuries after an assault shortly after he left The Woodcutters Arms pub."

plus ça change .........

"Yesterday at around 10.05pm a man suffered serious facial injuries after an assault shortly after he left The Woodcutters Arms pub."

plus ça change .........
To be fair this assault actually took place over 1 mile away from the Woodcutters, so not sure it was linked to anyone else drinking or coming from the pub.

First game of the 2002/3 season. Sat 10th August away to Hull. Maybe the worst football watching Southend that season in years gone by. We had 3 Managers that season, Stewart Robson, Steve Wignall and Rob Newman. We finished 17th in Division 3(4). The top scorer was Rawle with 12 goals.

The scorers here are Jenkins and Bramble.
[video=youtube;0yLraFt5dfM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yLraFt5dfM[/video]

Back