• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I am going by Peter Mason and David Goodys excellent book , Southend United , The Official History Of The Blues .

I was at the 0-0 home game in The East Stand, and remember feeling disappointed that the attendance was only 6,000. About 50 Manx fans there on the South bank.

Yes, I've covered that game on here a couple of times. I was in the North Bank when about 200 broke the big blue gate down and piled into us. What made it worse was there was only about 30 of us as the floodlights had only just gone on as it was well early, and they all seemed to be mid twenties, some pulled out dockers hooks at the front. We were all teenagers and a few younger lads. The only safe place that night was the East Stand seats and the North Paddock. They were on a revenge mission apparently.
The revenge mission was because Millwall tried to get into the North Bank in Aug 71 , unfortunately for them a certain little mob from Leigh stopped them dead and ran them out and they wanted revenge .:smile:

SUFC database is wrong. The crowds were indeed the other way round. 6,182 at Roots Hall and 9,373 at Maine Road.
We were expecting a much bigger crowd for the home match but as pointed out hardly any Man City turned up. I think we had about 400 up there.

I spent a few years in the South Paddock, stood near to Dennis the milkman, his dad Ernie and a gent called Brian. The first time I met that knowledgeable chap Brian Cotgrove ---- certainly knew everything back then.

No, you've got that all wrong. Ernie was the milkman and it wasn't the South !

Did he drive the fastest milk cart in the West to?

Son Dennis was also a milkman and the Paddock was the one nearest the South Bank.

Mick, I know I am not the brightest but I do know where I was stooded.

.... and some fell on stony ground.

I went to that away game with Joe McGill, first time either of us had gone to a game and did not go in a pub. It was terrifying, Moss Side was horrendous even in those days

Played it safe and had a beer or two in Stockport beforehand. Flew back from that one!

Part of the South Stand(Weeds included) and the East Stand ,only seated area at that time in the 1970s. The Paddock at the bottom of the East Stand was standing as well. A few on here have mentioned before that they used to stand in the Paddock. I bet younger fans are wondering what they're on about. Here's the answer.
southend-united-roots-hall-east-stand-2-1970s-legendary-football-grounds.jpg

What a picture
We may-can build another 5 grounds..
But none will EVER be as good as Roots Hall..built by fans,for fans..that fans of "our age" will always love

Millwall 75/76 I was in the South Bank. I knew we were in trouble when Dave Crump suggested " When it comes on top we will have to jump on top of that tea-bar and start swinging those scaffold poles about". The evening went downhill from there.

D C..what a top top bloke(like Sir Carl)..
As i wrote before,the GREAT game v Newport(our boggie team!!spelt right?)..78 ?..2 down,won 4-2..and DC running from the West to the seats,fag not leaving his mouth,over the pitch and patting Gerry Fell(i think) on the back,not stopping...looking like Thomas the Tank engine as he ran,November or at a least bloody cold night..top bloke

Millwall 75/76 I was in the South Bank. I knew we were in trouble when Dave Crump suggested " When it comes on top we will have to jump on top of that tea-bar and start swinging those scaffold poles about". The evening went downhill from there.
Crumpy , nice guy one of the old Ant Hill Mob .

According to Bluemoon Manchester City fansite

Southend United vs Manchester City
League Cup
Tue 23 September 1986.

Score: D 0-0

Attendance: 6182

http://bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/History/Matches/Match.aspx?id=3718

Manchester City vs Southend United
League Cup
Wed 08 October 1986.

Score: W 2-1

Attendance: 9373

http://bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/History/Matches/Match.aspx?id=3719

Thanks for posting that link - first time I saw Southend against a top flight side. Never realised that game saw the debut of David White, who went on to have a very decent career, even turning out for England in 1992.

I do recall that their manager Billy McNeill was sacked a day or two before the game.

Back